or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › how many people do you know that lie about their score?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

how many people do you know that lie about their score? - Page 3

post #37 of 89

The biggest stretches (or lies) I see around here are OB balls and improving lies. They tell their buddies what they supposedly shot so in fact they are lying, but nobody cares because their buddies are lying too.

 

If the course is crowded most people aren't going to go back to the tee box if they find that their ball went OB. They take a one stroke penalty and hit their second shot from where it went out.

They also improve almost every lie and somewhat justify it in their mind because most of the fairways around here aren't exactly in pristine condition (to say the least).

 

The serious golfers and/or the ones that are keeping track of a handicap play by the rules.

post #38 of 89
Thread Starter 

i bend some rules from time to time, i think the biggest for me is when a ball lands nearby a cart path (within 6 inches) i will just move it away from the cart path just enough so that i know i'm not going to ruin my clubs.  i don't ever do it in such a manner that improves my next shot, i just don't think potentially damaging a club is worth it (i have done it before and said never again). other than that i play every lie...hell i got half my body in a lake on saturday and hit a mud ball out (and impressively up a hill onto the green).

 

the OB stroke and distance is just a tough rule to play on a muni, period.  no one really wants another guy going back to the tee box, and if there is no provisional, a 2 stroke penalty and drop is really the only option.  there definitely should be an adjustment of that rule i think!!

 

i hear what you guys say about good players playing together, but when i'm by myself on a busy day, i'll get paired with 2 or 3 players in groups often.  unless "good" players only play in numbers divisible by 4, i don't think it's fair to assume the reason i'm not playing with good players is because they would never be paired with me.

 

as for the shift key thing, seriously guys, get over it!!  as another poster pointed out, have you read any text message in the last five years?  i cld tell u ppl that 2mrrw i will mssg this way til u c how annoying this cld b.

post #39 of 89

how many people do you know that lie about their score?

Hmmm, how many people do I know that golf?
post #40 of 89
Not saying I'm perfect, far from it, but I never really understood improving the lie. I mean a bad lie (unless buried in mud or plugged on the fairway) is a natural part of the game and represents an interesting challenge your chances of a reasonable contact should be respectable. If not your game needs some work ....

Sometimes you lay up instead of going for the green etc but it isn't such a big deal. If you chunk, again, maybe you need to work on that steeper stroke or whatever. It's all good.
post #41 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

 

as for the shift key thing, seriously guys, get over it!!  as another poster pointed out, have you read any text message in the last five years?

 

Doesn't matter to us if you want your messages to be illegible and difficult to read....just makes it easier for us to ignore

post #42 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clambake View Post

 

Doesn't matter to us if you want your messages to be illegible and difficult to read....just makes it easier for us to ignore

+1.

 

Typo's and slip ups happen to everyone when they are typing quickly whether it be a text, post or a chat scenario and I take no issue with that. What I can't stand is people who willfully abandon the English language because "they couldn't be bothered" or they're "too lazy". I find that attitude to be abhorrent, but then again, I love to read and also lament the fact that a huge portion of the up and coming generation have never read a book unless obligated to. Sad stuff IMO.

post #43 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

i bend some rules from time to time, i think the biggest for me is when a ball lands nearby a cart path (within 6 inches) i will just move it away from the cart path just enough so that i know i'm not going to ruin my clubs.  i don't ever do it in such a manner that improves my next shot, i just don't think potentially damaging a club is worth it (i have done it before and said never again). other than that i play every lie...hell i got half my body in a lake on saturday and hit a mud ball out (and impressively up a hill onto the green).

 

the OB stroke and distance is just a tough rule to play on a muni, period.  no one really wants another guy going back to the tee box, and if there is no provisional, a 2 stroke penalty and drop is really the only option.  there definitely should be an adjustment of that rule i think!!

 

i hear what you guys say about good players playing together, but when i'm by myself on a busy day, i'll get paired with 2 or 3 players in groups often.  unless "good" players only play in numbers divisible by 4, i don't think it's fair to assume the reason i'm not playing with good players is because they would never be paired with me.

 

as for the shift key thing, seriously guys, get over it!!  as another poster pointed out, have you read any text message in the last five years?  i cld tell u ppl that 2mrrw i will mssg this way til u c how annoying this cld b.

 

I already only read about half of what you say.  If you did that, I'd just put you on ignore.

 

As far as your first "paragraph"?  You need to read Rule 24.  Hint:  An artificially surfaced cart path is an immovable obstruction.

post #44 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

 

I already only read about half of what you say.  If you did that, I'd just put you on ignore.

 

As far as your first "paragraph"?  You need to read Rule 24.  Hint:  An artificially surfaced cart path is an immovable obstruction.


i actually read nothing of what you say.  it's gotten to the point where i see your name and expect nothing but trash talk from some anonymous nobody on an internet forum.  you are free to discontinue posting responses to my posts, as they clearly are causing you much distress.

 

oh and btw, the proper english is "paragraph?" with the "?" inside the quotations.  get it right, it's so damn obnoxious when people aren't grammatically correct.  i can't believe no one else is jumping on you for this since it is so easy for them to jump on me for my typing nuances z4_blink.gif

post #45 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post


i actually read nothing of what you say.  it's gotten to the point where i see your name and expect nothing but trash talk from some anonymous nobody on an internet forum.  you are free to discontinue posting responses to my posts, as they clearly are causing you much distress.

 

oh and btw, the proper english is "paragraph?" with the "?" inside the quotations.  get it right, it's so damn obnoxious when people aren't grammatically correct.  i can't believe no one else is jumping on you for this since it is so easy for them to jump on me for my typing nuances z4_blink.gif

Dude, you really are starting to make it hard for people to want to continue to try and help you with an attitude like this.  Nobody is calling you names or getting nasty or personal.  Everybody is simply saying that it is a little bit annoying to have to try and read your posts as they are.  And just because they aren't quite as annoying as a highschoolers text messages, does not make them easy to read.  But if you don't want to change, don't - nobody is going to make you.  But they are informing you that they might block you and not read your posts if you continue to post that way.  Is that worth it to you?  I know if I'm going to take the time to write something, I'm hoping that people are actually going to read it ... otherwise what is the point?

 

That said ... you realize that the guy you are calling names and getting defensive with was trying to help you, right?  He even hyperlinked it so you don't even have to do the work yourself.  Hint:  It's not cheating to take relief from a cart path ... you are allowed a free drop on that one.

post #46 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Dude, you really are starting to make it hard for people to want to continue to try and help you with an attitude like this.  Nobody is calling you names or getting nasty or personal.  Everybody is simply saying that it is a little bit annoying to have to try and read your posts as they are.  And just because they aren't quite as annoying as a highschoolers text messages, does not make them easy to read.  But if you don't want to change, don't - nobody is going to make you.  But they are informing you that they might block you and not read your posts if you continue to post that way.  Is that worth it to you?  I know if I'm going to take the time to write something, I'm hoping that people are actually going to read it ... otherwise what is the point?

 

That said ... you realize that the guy you are calling names and getting defensive with was trying to help you, right?  He even hyperlinked it so you don't even have to do the work yourself.  Hint:  It's not cheating to take relief from a cart path ... you are allowed a free drop on that one.

do some searches on his responses to my posts, he has a habit of trash talking for no apparent reason (unless my typing really really offends him).  this "i only read half of what you say, i'll put you on ignore" isn't an isolated incident.

 

still, 50% of the respondents on this thread complain about my typing.  seriously this is a golf forum i thought?  if i want grammar lessons i do think there are forums for that, too.

post #47 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

still, 50% of the respondents on this thread complain about my typing.  seriously this is a golf forum i thought?  if i want grammar lessons i do think there are forums for that, too.

Your typing makes your posts annoying to read.  It's a golf forum but that doesn't mean you can't be courteous and format your posts so that they are easier for the rest of us to read.  Do you get upset when people ask you to fix your divots and pitch marks? 

post #48 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

do some searches on his responses to my posts, he has a habit of trash talking for no apparent reason (unless my typing really really offends him).  this "i only read half of what you say, i'll put you on ignore" isn't an isolated incident.

 

still, 50% of the respondents on this thread complain about my typing.  seriously this is a golf forum i thought?  if i want grammar lessons i do think there are forums for that, too.

You know, a lot of really quality posters have offered you help in several threads. The kind of help and advice that most people have to pay money for. You've taken a dump on most of these people and essentially told everyone that you're right and they're wrong. Maybe you would be better off seeking advice on another forum as this one is clearly not your cup of tea.

 

If all your looking for is to have someone say, "tuffluck, you're awesome and you're right," I would be glad to do that for you in the interests of moving on.

 

tuffluck, you are awesome and you're right!

post #49 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clambake View Post

 

Doesn't matter to us if you want your messages to be illegible and difficult to read....just makes it easier for us to ignore

+1.

 

Typo's and slip ups happen to everyone when they are typing quickly whether it be a text, post or a chat scenario and I take no issue with that. What I can't stand is people who willfully abandon the English language because "they couldn't be bothered" or they're "too lazy". I find that attitude to be abhorrent, but then again, I love to read and also lament the fact that a huge portion of the up and coming generation have never read a book unless obligated to. Sad stuff IMO.

Amen brother! My stepson still contends that punctuation and grammar don't matter, and he's a junior in HS (otherwise he's a great kid). I keep thinking he'll find out the hard way in college, but I hear even colleges are handing out degrees to kids who can barely read and write (correctly) these days. (Search some of those hilarious examples of college student's writing from their professors.)

post #50 of 89
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

 

I already only read about half of what you say.  If you did that, I'd just put you on ignore.

 

As far as your first "paragraph"?  You need to read Rule 24.  Hint:  An artificially surfaced cart path is an immovable obstruction.

okay so i reread this and apologize, for i thought you said you only read half of what i say and are now putting me on ignore.  i didn't get that you meant when i start talking in text language (which i won't do) that you would put me on ignore.  apologize for coming across snotty (though you have done it to me before nonetheless).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Dude, you really are starting to make it hard for people to want to continue to try and help you with an attitude like this.  Nobody is calling you names or getting nasty or personal. 

you're right.  i read his post incorrectly and responded.  my apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

You know, a lot of really quality posters have offered you help in several threads. The kind of help and advice that most people have to pay money for. You've taken a dump on most of these people and essentially told everyone that you're right and they're wrong. Maybe you would be better off seeking advice on another forum as this one is clearly not your cup of tea.

 

If all your looking for is to have someone say, "tuffluck, you're awesome and you're right," I would be glad to do that for you in the interests of moving on.

 

tuffluck, you are awesome and you're right!

i have been very thankful in many posts for help i have received actually.  the most recent ones haven't really gone in the right direction for anyone though.  because i don't think it's worth being so upset about the way someone types in this thread.  and for that reason i understand some of you find it annoying, but that we should be able and get over it and continue to talk about the main idea of the thread.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

+1.

 

Typo's and slip ups happen to everyone when they are typing quickly whether it be a text, post or a chat scenario and I take no issue with that. What I can't stand is people who willfully abandon the English language because "they couldn't be bothered" or they're "too lazy". I find that attitude to be abhorrent, but then again, I love to read and also lament the fact that a huge portion of the up and coming generation have never read a book unless obligated to. Sad stuff IMO.

but this isn't your boss sending you an email or a college student's essay, it's just an internet message board.  one should not be so offended by the way other people type.  in fact to that point, my boss sends me text message-like emails all the time and i find them unprofessional and annoying, but of course just ignore it and move on.  on a message board i don't even think twice about the way people type, annoying or not.  i'm sorry others can't share the same sentiment enough for us to get back on topic.

post #51 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker0065 View Post

OP,

Your numbers are probably not too far off but as others mentioned better players tend to play with better players. The three of us don't exclusively just play with each other but we do play together quite often. We also basically hand pick who we are willing to play with on a regular basis and it's usually those that can break 80 or are close. For me it's all about the rythym and pace of the game. Even when playing with higher handicaps that play fast, it still effects the flow of the round. To do that occasionaly is one thing, but to do that day in and day out would get old fast.

 

For example a while back I got stuck with a couple guy's in a cart(I always walk) and on the first tee they both skunk it in the woods. Ok, so they have to go look for their balls, no big deal. They race ahead to the woods while I start walking down the fairway and by the time I caught up they had either found or dropped balls. So I stop and wait for them to hit and both players chunk it about 75 yards. They race ahead to their ball(at this point they are about halfway to my drive) and I start walking again, catch up and wait for them to hit. They both finally made decent contact on their 3rd shots and hit it past my drive. They jump in their cart and race up to my ball while I start walking,,,again. They pull up to my ball and look back at me with this expression of like "Waiting On You Dude"! That basically got repeated over the entire front nine so at the turn I told them I think I left the stove on at home and went to hit balls at the range,,,lol!

 

If you are as good of a golfer as you seem to think you are, why are you letting what other people are doing get under your skin so badly?  Shouldn't you simply ignore outside stimuli and distractions and concentrate on your game?  Develop some true mental focus?

 

 

Oh, and Tuffluck, stop being an annoying teenager.  Grown men use correct spelling, grammar and punctuation.  Little girls texting about Justin Bieber and their BFF!!s don't care about capitalization. 

post #52 of 89

It all depends I guess.  I've played with alot of strangers who had no clue how to keep a proper score.  If I had to guess, most of them do it so that they dont get too frustrated by putting a big number on the scorecard. When you put a 10 on the card early it can ruin your mood. These people will usually always give themselves gimmes, free drops, ignore Out of Bounds..etc.. It used to bother me but not anymore.  Unless we play for money, then I will open my mouth and let you know.  Last year some guy was brought along for our saturday money game and was giving himself 4 foot putts!  He would have a bad hole then give himself huge gimmes or free drops.  The guy was very angry.  But of course, he wasn't as angry as when I told him to go back and putt out his 4 footer or concede the hole. lol

post #53 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post


i actually read nothing of what you say.  it's gotten to the point where i see your name and expect nothing but trash talk from some anonymous nobody on an internet forum.  you are free to discontinue posting responses to my posts, as they clearly are causing you much distress.

oh and btw, the proper english is "paragraph?" with the "?" inside the quotations.  get it right, it's so damn obnoxious when people aren't grammatically correct.  i can't believe no one else is jumping on you for this since it is so easy for them to jump on me for my typing nuances z4_blink.gif
Because there's a big difference between the odd typo and willful errors like yours. Why don't you just write properly, that way you won't have to deal with what you're getting (rhetorical). This thread was a good idea.
post #54 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

As far as your first "paragraph"?  You need to read Rule 24.  Hint:  An artificially surfaced cart path is an immovable obstruction.

 


oh and btw, the proper english is "paragraph?" with the "?" inside the quotations.  get it right, it's so damn obnoxious when people aren't grammatically correct.  i can't believe no one else is jumping on you for this since it is so easy for them to jump on me for my typing nuances z4_blink.gif

 

In addition to what Chas said, you're wrong anyway. The placement of marks other than periods and commas follows the logic that quotation marks should accompany (be right next to) the text being quoted or set apart as a title. Thus, you would write:

 

  • Did he say, "Good morning, Dave"?
  • No, he said, "Where are you, Dave?"

 

Google it if you don't believe me.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › how many people do you know that lie about their score?