or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Golf Etiquette/Proposed New Rule
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Golf Etiquette/Proposed New Rule

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

For all of you spectators on the course:

 

Screaming, "IN THE HOLE!!!" has become the most irritating, annoying, obnoxious, and most of all, RIDICULOUS 3-word phrase I have ever heard.

 

I would love to see a new rule imposed that no one is allowed to yell this stupid phrase during a golf tournament.  The penalty? A smack in the head with a 9 iron...Yeah, that ought to shut some people up!

post #2 of 15
Welcome to the Sandtrap! You'll find that most here wholeheartedly agree...
post #3 of 15

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbeasheep View Post

For all of you spectators on the course:

 

Screaming, "IN THE HOLE!!!" has become the most irritating, annoying, obnoxious, and most of all, RIDICULOUS 3-word phrase I have ever heard.

 

I would love to see a new rule imposed that no one is allowed to yell this stupid phrase during a golf tournament.  The penalty? A smack in the head with a 9 iron...Yeah, that ought to shut some people up!

 

My wife said the same thing, but she suggested a 2x4 instead of a nine iron.

post #4 of 15

Funny I was just watching the WGC today. I got so annoyed at the idiots yelling "in the hole" and "smash pototes" I had to turn off the TV. Just couldn't continue watching it.

 

I would think that if the TV networks ever found out the yelling from those MORON spectators was having an impact on their viewer numbers they would put a stop to it quickly.

post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay33660 View Post

Funny I was just watching the WGC today. I got so annoyed at the idiots yelling "in the hole" and "smash pototes" I had to turn off the TV. Just couldn't continue watching it.

 

I would think that if the TV networks ever found out the yelling from those MORON spectators was having an impact on their viewer numbers they would put a stop to it quickly.

Have you ever tried turning down the volume if it bothers you that much?

post #6 of 15
It doesn't bother me that much. I wouldn't do it though. But I'm pretty quiet at all sporting events. The guys who yell that stuff are probably the same idiots who yell during baseball games. You just can't hear them on TV because they get drowned out.
post #7 of 15

My wife thought it was the same guy at each event.....c1_cursing.gif

She even asked the other day when I was watching the game and she walked by were the "in the hole" guy was!

post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker101 View Post

My wife thought it was the same guy at each event.....c1_cursing.gif

She even asked the other day when I was watching the game and she walked by were the "in the hole" guy was!

Heck, maybe she's right?  I remember watching something a few years back talking about the John 3:16 guy.  I'm sure there were several imitators, but for the most part, it was one guy at all the different events for a long time. :)

 

It doesn't really bother me.  I just assume they're those fraternity-type guys who were popular in high school but then never grew up and still act like they're in high school.  You know, the guy who still works at the movie theater and lives in his parents basement.

post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

Have you ever tried turning down the volume if it bothers you that much?

 

It not so much the yelling .... just make it somewhat intelligent.

 

Yelling "get in the hole" on a par 5 drive is stupid.

 

I enjoy the 16th hole at the Phoenix Open because at least they think about the relevance of what they are yelling.

post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay33660 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

Have you ever tried turning down the volume if it bothers you that much?

 

It not so much the yelling .... just make it somewhat intelligent.

 

Yelling "get in the hole" on a par 5 drive is stupid.

 

I enjoy the 16th hole at the Phoenix Open because at least they think about the relevance of what they are yelling.

 

No they don't.  They're so plastered that rational thought is an oxymoron. g1_wacko.gif

post #11 of 15

I really hate it too, but did laugh out loud when a few years ago someone yelled out "hamburgers" when Jim Furyk hit a ball. I still dont know why he yelled it out, but it was so unexpected it was funny.

 

I have never been to a live golf event, but have always wondered why the other members in the crowd dont tell people to shut up

post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbeasheep View Post

For all of you spectators on the course:

 

Screaming, "IN THE HOLE!!!" has become the most irritating, annoying, obnoxious, and most of all, RIDICULOUS 3-word phrase I have ever heard.

 

I would love to see a new rule imposed that no one is allowed to yell this stupid phrase during a golf tournament.  The penalty? A smack in the head with a 9 iron...Yeah, that ought to shut some people up!

Maybe Tiger's ex could be the one to enforce the rule.

post #13 of 15

There must be plenty of Marshals on the course. It amazes me that they don't warn the shouters just once and then kick them off the course for misbehaviour.

 

The organizers should print a warning on the tickets about the etiquette for spectators.

post #14 of 15

It doesn't bother me when people yell that on a par 3.  Pros have a much better chance of actually holing that then the rest of us.  It should be banned on par 4's or 5's, that's just dumb to yell it at that point.  To bad hitting someone with a 9-iron is frowned upon, unless your Tigers wife......yea, I went there!

post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post

There must be plenty of Marshals on the course. It amazes me that they don't warn the shouters just once and then kick them off the course for misbehaviour.

 

The organizers should print a warning on the tickets about the etiquette for spectators.

 

excellent - and if it bothers the players, they should be able demand ejection of the spectator as well

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rules of Golf
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Golf Etiquette/Proposed New Rule