or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › When will Tiger reclaim #1 OWGR?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

When will Tiger reclaim #1 OWGR? - Page 3

post #37 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

I'm not exactly sure what point I'm trying to make, so...

Sounds like most of my post. c2_beer.gif

post #38 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

Are we talking about the most consistent golfer, or the best golfer over the last two years (in relation to field)?  Because if we are talking about the best... Rory would be that man.  And Tiger would be behind him - see the rankings.

Now if we are talking about the most consistent... I dunno.

But, Donald hasn't won a tournament since last May...
Do me a favor and "google" the word "consistent". If that doesn't describe Donald then I don't know what does.
I just think that what he has done is constantly getting sharted on by Tiger fans. You don't win the money title on both tours in the same year by being inconsistent.
NOTE: I hope that Tiger does get back to #1 because its good for the game, Tiger groupies (most golf fans) don't really care to see Michael Thompson winning tournaments.
post #39 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp33 man View Post


Do me a favor and "google" the word "consistent". If that doesn't describe Donald then I don't know what does.
I just think that what he has done is constantly getting sharted on by Tiger fans. You don't win the money title on both tours in the same year by being inconsistent.
NOTE: I hope that Tiger does get back to #1 because its good for the game, Tiger groupies (most golf fans) don't really care to see Michael Thompson winning tournaments.

FYI... I'm a Sigma Chi.  Luke is too.  I love what Luke has accomplished, and I'd love to see him get back into that form.  But he was the money leader on both tours in 2011.  The last time I checked, it's 2013.  Mr. Consistent needs to be consistently better to get back into the discussion of the worlds best golfer.

post #40 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

FYI... I'm a Sigma Chi.  Luke is too.  I love what Luke has accomplished, and I'd love to see him get back into that form.  But he was the money leader on both tours in 2011.  The last time I checked, it's 2013.  Mr. Consistent needs to be consistently better to get back into the discussion of the worlds best golfer.
Being ranked third in the world isn't good enough to be "in the discussion"???
post #41 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp33 man View Post
 
Being ranked third in the world isn't good enough to be "in the discussion"???

 

Well as I stated earlier... His last win was May 2012.  Since that time... Rory has three wins... One being a major.  And Tiger has had 4 wins.  So really, in the last 8.5mo - no.  He shouldn't be in the discussion.

 

And looking at the OWGR... You can see that Donald has an average of 7.08, where Rory and Tiger are well over 11 and 10 respectively.

post #42 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by mp33 man View Post

 

Being ranked third in the world isn't good enough to be "in the discussion"???

 

Not when the 2 guys ahead of you are Tiger Wood and Rory McIlroy, winners of a combined 16 majors when Donald has zero.  Rory is the first legitimate #1 since Tiger, IMO.

 

As to winning the money title on both tours - I believe Tiger has done this before, maybe more than once, but it wasn't recognized by the EuroTour.  Because he won the money title but didn't play enough Eurotour events.  So it is nice for Luke, but hardly unprecedented, as some would have it.

 

At best Luke Donald is analogous to Tom Kite.

post #43 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp33 man View Post
 
Being ranked third in the world isn't good enough to be "in the discussion"???

 

I think he's certainly worthy of the discussion, but he got to number one when Rome was burning. Now that it's not, I just don't see it happening again. 

 

I think Tiger will regain number one after he wins the Masters this year. Yea, I'm drinking the kool-aid. Glug, glug, glug!

post #44 of 109
When wins the Masters in a few weeks.
post #45 of 109
My first post was met just how I thought it would be, Tiger fan retaliation.

My point was not that Luke is better than Tiger but just because you say doesn't make the #1 player in the world (I won't list all of the quotes that say that because it is hard to do on my phone, just go back and read them).

I didn't anyone whining about Tiger being #1 when he very clearly wasn't?

If Tiger finishes T8 next week and Rory wins will you all jump back on the bandwagon? Or will Tiger still be #1 in your mind?
post #46 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchepp View Post

I predicted that Tiger would win the Masters, so I will stick with that. If he wins Farmers, Doral, and Arnies it would be hard to pick him to win a 4th so early in the season. I guess that is gamblers fallacy catching up with me.

 

I would love to see a final group at the Masters of Rory and Tiger on Sunday. Then #1 would be decided the right way.

I agree. I'm picking Tiger as well to win the Masters and #1 overall. I can see him also winning Player of the Year if Snedeker doesn't steamroll everyone this year :D

post #47 of 109

What are "lefty colored glasses"?

post #48 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp33 man View Post

My first post was met just how I thought it would be, Tiger fan retaliation.

My point was not that Luke is better than Tiger but just because you say doesn't make the #1 player in the world (I won't list all of the quotes that say that because it is hard to do on my phone, just go back and read them).

I didn't anyone whining about Tiger being #1 when he very clearly wasn't?

If Tiger finishes T8 next week and Rory wins will you all jump back on the bandwagon? Or will Tiger still be #1 in your mind?

Rory isn't playing next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

What are "lefty colored glasses"?

He votes Democrat?
post #49 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

Rory isn't playing next week.
He votes Democrat?

Hypothetical example.

Phil-lefty, I like Phil therefore I always see him as #1 (kinda like a Tiger groupie but not). Sorry bad joke.
post #50 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post

As to winning the money title on both tours - I believe Tiger has done this before, maybe more than once, but it wasn't recognized by the EuroTour.  Because he won the money title but didn't play enough Eurotour events.  So it is nice for Luke, but hardly unprecedented, as some would have it.

 

Tiger did that like eight times or so, but yes, he didn't play enough events to qualify.

 

So think about that: he didn't play enough European Tour events, yet he still earned enough money in the few shared events in those years (WGCs and majors, basically) to win more money than anyone else on the European Tour... Yeesh.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp33 man View Post

My first post was met just how I thought it would be, Tiger fan retaliation.

 

Yeah, darn those basic facts... stupid Tiger fans, pointing out that Tiger and Rory have won eight times since Luke last won anything. Never mind that in On the Range Luke's coach talked about Luke's struggles last year and how they were continuing this year.

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by mp33 man View Post

I didn't anyone whining about Tiger being #1 when he very clearly wasn't?

 

Uh, many, many people did it. Those rankings also let Luke Donald hold on to #1 (and reclaim it, IIRC, during a week off?) longer than he deserved it.

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by mp33 man View Post

If Tiger finishes T8 next week and Rory wins will you all jump back on the bandwagon? Or will Tiger still be #1 in your mind?

 

Seriously?

 

WGC-Cadillac:

1 - Tiger Woods

 

T8 - Rory McIlroy

 

 

 

 

 

 

T43 - Luke Donald

 

 

 

 

See what I did there?

post #51 of 109
Its seems as though every post in response to my first on this subject has completely ignored the fact that I said "Donald and RORY".

Not once did I make the argument that Donald is the best player in the world or even that Rory is the best in the world, in fact I said that Tiger "may be the best in the world". I'll go one further to say that he's the best I've ever seen (I'm 26, not old enough to have seen Jack), but I still think that RORY and Donald have played some very good and consistent golf in the last couple of years and were getting completely looked over

When commenting on a post you should read all post and not just the most recent ones since things seem to get taken out of context.
post #52 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp33 man View Post

Its seems as though every post in response to my first on this subject has completely ignored the fact that I said "Donald and RORY".

 

Do you see the title of the thread...?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp33 man View Post

I still think that RORY and Donald have played some very good and consistent golf in the last couple of years and were getting completely looked over

 

Perhaps people are ignoring that because it's stupid (and it's already been covered by a previous response or two)?

 

Rory's #1 in the world. Luke is STILL #3, despite having a poor 2012-2013. That point was addressed several times, and is also very obvious.

 

Have either of them won twice this year already? No. Which is why this thread title (and topic) is what it is...

post #53 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post

 

At best Luke Donald is analogous to Tom Kite.

without the shit glasses!

 

Tiger & Rory are the only two worth discussing now, Luke was the best in  the world 2 years ago.

 

Now Tiger is much more consistently good, I think Rory is the best when he is on peak form, the problem is he has no idea when thats going t o happen.

post #54 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp33 man View Post


Being ranked third in the world isn't good enough to be "in the discussion"???

No.  Someone has to be third.  You can use the word "consistent" if it makes you feel better but there's #1 and #2, and then there's the rest.  Everything is measured in wins.  It's really that simple.  Luke Donald is awesome but as someone said above, he's not a legit #1.  He was keeping the spot warm, just like Kaymer and Westwood.  Luke Donald is not even in the same zip code of the same discussion as Rory and Tiger.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › When will Tiger reclaim #1 OWGR?