or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › My Edel Putter Fitting
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Edel Putter Fitting - Page 6

post #91 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

DAMN, that's a good looking putter!

c3_clap.gif

 

Thanks, I really like how it turned out.  

post #92 of 200
Some Update Of my putting stats after play it for like 20 rounds .

I use Shotzoom on my iPhone to track my score .

Putts for
last 5 rounds
1.69 per Hole
1.86 per GIR

All 50 rounds
1.79 per hole
1.92 per GIR

I think I gained about 2 strokes for GiR ( correct me if I m wrong )
post #93 of 200
Did anyone read Johnson Wagner's piece on putting in the November issue of Golf Digest (page 100). I wonder if he uses an Edel putter. The round grip and the stamping on the putter face look like it's one...
post #94 of 200

...got me a fitting this Saturday.  Really curious to see how it goes.

post #95 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r View Post

Did anyone read Johnson Wagner's piece on putting in the November issue of Golf Digest (page 100). I wonder if he uses an Edel putter. The round grip and the stamping on the putter face look like it's one...

 

??   The stamping says "Cameron" and the usual Scotty 3 dots.  

post #96 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clambake View Post

??   The stamping says "Cameron" and the usual Scotty 3 dots.  

Does it show that I not familiar with the Cameron's... Duh.

I do find it interesting that both (Edel & Cameron) stamp dots into the face. Then again, what do I know. Maybe most custom putters have that design...
post #97 of 200

Bumping this up because for my birthday last year, my girlfriend said she'd get me a new putter.

 

However, she did put a cap on the how much she'd spend.  I'm debating putting the difference in the cost of getting an Edel putter.

 

I figure with the money I'm not spending during the winter playing golf, this would be a good thing to do.

post #98 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post

Bumping this up because for my birthday last year, my girlfriend said she'd get me a new putter.

However, she did put a cap on the how much she'd spend.  I'm debating putting the difference in the cost of getting an Edel putter.

I figure with the money I'm not spending during the winter playing golf, this would be a good thing to do.

You'll likely save money not buying a new putter every X weeks/months/years too.
post #99 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post


You'll likely save money not buying a new putter every X weeks/months/years too.

 

Yeah it's a putter that's fit for your eye/stroke and you'll never need to buy another one again.  You'll make the money back anyway with the putts you make ;-)

post #100 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post

Bumping this up because for my birthday last year, my girlfriend said she'd get me a new putter.

However, she did put a cap on the how much she'd spend.  I'm debating putting the difference in the cost of getting an Edel putter.

I figure with the money I'm not spending during the winter playing golf, this would be a good thing to do.

You'll likely save money not buying a new putter every X weeks/months/years too.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post


You'll likely save money not buying a new putter every X weeks/months/years too.

 

Yeah it's a putter that's fit for your eye/stroke and you'll never need to buy another one again.  You'll make the money back anyway with the putts you make ;-)

 

Yeah, from what I've read on this forum, it seems like no one feels they made a mistake getting an Edel putter.

 

My only concern is that I'm a high handicapped player and presuming I become a better putter, would I have to get refitted or does it not really work like that?

post #101 of 200
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post
 

 

 

 

Yeah, from what I've read on this forum, it seems like no one feels they made a mistake getting an Edel putter.

 

My only concern is that I'm a high handicapped player and presuming I become a better putter, would I have to get refitted or does it not really work like that?

Doesn't really work like that. The way you see is the way you see. No matter your level, you'll always aim your Edel well, as you get better you'll probably learn to make a better stroke and maybe make more putts that way, but you won't see the line any differently.

post #102 of 200
Freak, I got fitted and purchased an Edel about 3 months ago. Personally, my putting hasn't improved because of the new putter. I really like the new set up. The lie angle, weight and look of the putter feel real good at address. However, I don't like the sound or feel of impact coming off the putter. For me, the Edel is lacking the pure sensation I was getting from my previous putter. I commented on the fact that my fitting facility didn't have any "finished" examples to demo. Hopefully yours will.

If there is another putter you like, most golf shops have the ability to bend a putter. Essentially, you can custom fit for loft and lie with an off the rack putter. What's missing is Edel's theory on weight and looks. How much is that worth to you?

I do plan to return to my fitter and recheck everything, including my putting stroke, and see what updates can or need to be made.
post #103 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac View Post

Freak, I got fitted and purchased an Edel about 3 months ago. Personally, my putting hasn't improved because of the new putter. I really like the new set up. The lie angle, weight and look of the putter feel real good at address. However, I don't like the sound or feel of impact coming off the putter. For me, the Edel is lacking the pure sensation I was getting from my previous putter. I commented on the fact that my fitting facility didn't have any "finished" examples to demo. Hopefully yours will.

That is interesting.  You would be the first person that I have heard that feels his/her putting has not improved.   It is hard to imagine you cannot lag better with the weighting fit to you or aim it better...  Did your fitter know what he was doing?  Did you get the insert or go without the insert?  I love the feel of mine, although how the club feels at impact has no bearing on the way that I putt or should it to anyone else.  Are you saying that the feel at impact is why it is not working for you?

post #104 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by "amac" View Post

I commented on the fact that my fitting facility didn't have any "finished" examples to demo.

 

That's bizarre, because every fitter should have their own putter(s) or other examples around. We do.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by "amac" View Post

If there is another putter you like, most golf shops have the ability to bend a putter. Essentially, you can custom fit for loft and lie with an off the rack putter. What's missing is Edel's theory on weight and looks. How much is that worth to you?

 

That's almost everything. Yes, people can fit for loft or lie… but you're misunderstanding what Edel offers that others don't. It really sounds like you had a bad fitter…

 

Edel's "looks" are essential to how you aim your putter. I can give you a putter that, when square, looks closed to you (so you'll open it up and point it to the right), and then give you a combination of things that results in the putter looking open to you (so you close it) when it's square. Neither are a putter you can aim where you think you're aiming. Even things as little as the shape or offset of the hosel, the number of lines, etc. can affect your aim.

 

Even something as simple as the weight can't even really be done by others (because the heads are already manufactured - the best you can do is hope to add lead tape). Weight improves your ability to hit the ball the proper distance - to judge speed.

 

That's the meat of an Edel fitting, not the frosting (gross, but you know what I mean) as you suggest.

 

Now, if you tend to block putts because of your aim (left), and then you get a putter that's fit for you, if you putt worse it's because your stroke is off. Though everyone we've fit adjusts their stroke to be better due to their now correct aim, it's possible, I imagine, that someone might still continue to make a poor stroke. Since it's not being offset by their poor aim, they could see consistently worse strokes (instead of missing left and right around the hole, they'd be missing right always, and sometimes by quite a bit), but that's a double compensation where one aspect (poor aim) has been fixed and the person hasn't taken the time to resolve the second compensation.

 

Unless you're Tiger Woods (right aimer, rotates the face hard to close it, relies on timing but practices a TON… and we've seen a decline in his putting the past five years…), most golfers simply don't have the time to practice the double compensations often enough to get the timing down. They're advised to make fewer compensations.

post #105 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

That's bizarre, because every fitter should have their own putter(s) or other examples around. We do.

 

 

That's almost everything. Yes, people can fit for loft or lie… but you're misunderstanding what Edel offers that others don't. It really sounds like you had a bad fitter…

 

Edel's "looks" are essential to how you aim your putter. I can give you a putter that, when square, looks closed to you (so you'll open it up and point it to the right), and then give you a combination of things that results in the putter looking open to you (so you close it) when it's square. Neither are a putter you can aim where you think you're aiming. Even things as little as the shape or offset of the hosel, the number of lines, etc. can affect your aim.

 

Even something as simple as the weight can't even really be done by others (because the heads are already manufactured - the best you can do is hope to add lead tape). Weight improves your ability to hit the ball the proper distance - to judge speed.

 

That's the meat of an Edel fitting, not the frosting (gross, but you know what I mean) as you suggest.

 

Now, if you tend to block putts because of your aim (left), and then you get a putter that's fit for you, if you putt worse it's because your stroke is off. Though everyone we've fit adjusts their stroke to be better due to their now correct aim, it's possible, I imagine, that someone might still continue to make a poor stroke. Since it's not being offset by their poor aim, they could see consistently worse strokes (instead of missing left and right around the hole, they'd be missing right always, and sometimes by quite a bit), but that's a double compensation where one aspect (poor aim) has been fixed and the person hasn't taken the time to resolve the second compensation.

 

Unless you're Tiger Woods (right aimer, rotates the face hard to close it, relies on timing but practices a TON… and we've seen a decline in his putting the past five years…), most golfers simply don't have the time to practice the double compensations often enough to get the timing down. They're advised to make fewer compensations.

 

I'm curious.  As part of the fitting, production, and delivery process, is the customer brought back to the fitting facility once his putter has been completed to evaluate that it was made properly and that the finished product actually works for him?  Production errors happen all the time, and it seems to make sense that that would happen.  Yes?

post #106 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

I'm curious.  As part of the fitting, production, and delivery process, is the customer brought back to the fitting facility once his putter has been completed to evaluate that it was made properly and that the finished product actually works for him?  Production errors happen all the time, and it seems to make sense that that would happen.  Yes?

 

I've never heard of it happening. Production errors only happen "all the time" if you're careless.

 

You know what you've ordered (what fits you), and if for some reason they send the wrong head shape, you'd simply tell them and they'd re-send the right one. Or if you requested two lines and you get three, etc.

 

We'd happily verify the fit for people, but none have needed it. We're thorough on the front end, as well.

post #107 of 200

Anyone from the New York/Connecticut/NJ area have experience with any of the local fitters? After checking out the Edel website, it looks like I will need to drive about 1.5 hours to either New York or New Jersey (I'm in Connecticut) to get a fitting done and I was hoping to get some feedback on any of the fitters in this area. I am also willing to go to Massachusetts, so if anyone has had a fitting with either of the fitters located there please share.

 

After reading all of the reviews here it seems that getting a fitted Edel is completely worth the time and money so I am pretty excited to get a fitting set up.

post #108 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

That is interesting.  You would be the first person that I have heard that feels his/her putting has not improved.   It is hard to imagine you cannot lag better with the weighting fit to you or aim it better...  Did your fitter know what he was doing?  Did you get the insert or go without the insert?  I love the feel of mine, although how the club feels at impact has no bearing on the way that I putt or should it to anyone else.  Are you saying that the feel at impact is why it is not working for you?

I feel the fitter knew what he was doing.  I don't have anyone else local to compare to, but he recognized my tendecies pretty quickly and got the right putter in my hand.  Again, the putter setup feels great when I address the ball.  I don't have an insert and have had no problem lagging long distance putts.  I've visited another location operated by my fitter, was aim tested and lined up dead at the hole.  The problem I'm having is with the overall feel of the putter.  Here are my thoughts...

 

First, the grip is an issue.  I am surprised that a company selling $400 putters don't offer every grip under the sun.  I was using and have been using the same Golf Pride "Special" grip for the last 6+ years.  After playing one round with Edel's grip, I have since changed it twice.  Unfortunately, Golf Pride no longer makes the grip I've been using, so I am now using a Winn.  It's not bad, but the angles are taking some getting used to.  Plus, the softer grip may be affecting my feel.

 

Next, the vibration (or feel) and sound at impact are different for me.  My previous Never Compromise gave a different sensation and sound - more of a medium-pitch, pong noise.  By contrast, my Edel has a solid whack feel and thud noise.  My distance control is fine, but the sound and feedback I receive makes me think mishit.  Thus, I believe this is translating into a lack of confidence in the putter.  It's not with all strikes, but with most.

 

I am planning a trip back to my fitter to re-evaluate the putter setup.  I think there may not be enough loft.  The thud I mentioned above may be because I'm striking the upper half/ridge line of the putter face.  The metal of these putter is so soft it leaves marks.  I have a lot of stike marks across the top part of the putter face and less in the center.  There have been strikes where things feel supper sweet.  I suppose those were the center hits.  Either my forward press and stroke are the culprit or not enough loft.  

 

If the putter checks out okay, then I know what to do... buy another putter!  :-D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › My Edel Putter Fitting