or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2013 Masters Discussion Thread, Update with Tiger's Illegal Drop (Post #343)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2013 Masters Discussion Thread, Update with Tiger's Illegal Drop (Post #343) - Page 63

post #1117 of 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post
I became a fan of Angel Cabrera yesterday.  The gracious way he handled the end of the tournament and playoffs was a great example of what this sport is all about.  After all the controversy of the Guan penalty and Tiger it was refreshing to see the two top competitors compete head to head with respect and sportsmanship.  Way to represent to sport!

 

I became a fan because of how he played and how he kept a smile, and that his son caddied for him.

 

I agree, that he was a great example - that we see all the time from others too.  I don't understand why people act like it's a big deal.  he played great, the other guy won, he was an adult.  I suspect he's super thrilled about his performance, wishes he won, but still thrilled about the amazing game.  It was !<-->! close to going to a third playoff hole.  That putt was really well read and hit....

 

(I'm not saying newtogolf is implying this, so just a comment) - I've never seen a golf pro (at this level) throw a tantrum or be a baby about taking a good 2nd place yet.  So, at best, he did a good job portraying himself as anyone else would do.  And even better since he was already friendly with Scott - as I'd also expect a fellow golfing friend to be happy for their buddy's win

post #1118 of 1228

Scott and Stevie seem to be better at high fives than Tiger and Stevie ever were

 

That's a win for the ages in itself.

post #1119 of 1228
Whoa hoss. I am a Tiger supporter. That does not cloud my judgement, which seems to be your affliction.

You rant about stuff that is irrelevant, though the fact that new info came to light after the fact further reinforces the point. This is not a game of gotcha with a time limit. New info came to light that showed he made an illegal drop. Period. What the officials should have done or had in their possession or whatever makes no difference. The player must know the rules, and he never asked for a clarification. If he had then I agree with you.

Since some of us will never see eye to eye here, even amongst TW supporters, means it is time to move on.

I was happy to see Mickelson blow up after talking smack after Thursday's round. I guess he told Keegan to suck on the weekend as well lol.
post #1120 of 1228

I also learned a LOT from the CBS anchors.

 

I now have 4 different ways to pronounce the "G" in "Angel" because of those guys.

 

Hard G

Soft G

G sounds like an H

and the, illusive, 'silent G'


Edited by rehmwa - 4/15/13 at 10:16am
post #1121 of 1228

Regardless of the name, I am glad an Aussie won this one.

I visited Down Under a few years ago, and the people there were as nicest as can be.

My hats off to Adam, especially after the last year's Open.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari View Post

I would like to see Jason Day win.

Great for down under.

post #1122 of 1228
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by atb5079 View Post

Is it too soon to talk US Open 13 at Merion? haha

 

Yes. We'll start that thread when it's appropriate.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris E View Post

Ok. I didn't see where you declared the subject was off now limits. Perhaps you can get the admins to send out a PM to everybody when you feel it is time to move on.

 

I did, earlier in the thread, and I'll say it again now:

 

If you're still posting about Tiger Woods you run the risk of being placed in the penalty box. That topic has been decided - correctly so - and if you disagree with it, tough. Move on. This thread should celebrate the exciting finish of the 2013 Masters, and Adam Scott's great victory, birdieing two of his final three holes, not serve as a place for Tiger haters to call him a cheater.

 

This rule applies equally to all members. There are topics specific to the "drop" and until we say "time's up" in those conversations, post there.

post #1123 of 1228

My message to everyone still going on about Tiger's penalty:

 

post #1124 of 1228
Sorry Iacas as I noted earlier I haven't read the thread since yesterday morning. My apologies for bringing up this sore subject again. I just thought it was interesting that the pic on the Masters site seemed to show him in the same place, and I hadn't posted on this subject yet. Again my apologies.
post #1125 of 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehmwa View Post

 

I became a fan because of how he played and how he kept a smile, and that his son caddied for him.

 

I agree, that he was a great example - that we see all the time from others too.  I don't understand why people act like it's a big deal.  he played great, the other guy won, he was an adult.  I suspect he's super thrilled about his performance, wishes he won, but still thrilled about the amazing game.  It was !<-->! close to going to a third playoff hole.  That putt was really well read and hit....

 

(I'm not saying newtogolf is implying this, so just a comment) - I've never seen a golf pro (at this level) throw a tantrum or be a baby about taking a good 2nd place yet.  So, at best, he did a good job portraying himself as anyone else would do.  And even better since he was already friendly with Scott - as I'd also expect a fellow golfing friend to be happy for their buddy's win

I was referring to Angels thumbs up to Scott during the playoff when Scott hit his approach shot closer on the green.  I agree most professional golfers act properly but I thought the thumbs up was above and beyond and demonstrated great sportsmanship.

post #1126 of 1228

Angel gained a fan yesterday! Actually, he probably gained many fans. I'm disappointed to see Adam Scott using that empire state building sized putter. It's not that I'm so opposed to it, it just seems like putts made with those putters are less climactic than ones made with normal sized putters... just my opinion. Congrats to him on a great win, and great sportsmanship showed by Angel all throughout the playoff.

post #1127 of 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

I was referring to Angels thumbs up to Scott during the playoff when Scott hit his approach shot closer on the green.  I agree most professional golfers act properly but I thought the thumbs up was above and beyond and demonstrated great sportsmanship.

 

I agree with you - he seemed like a decent guy. 

 

I wonder how much mutual support and acknowledgment that players actually give each other during a match when they are paired up that we don't see on the screen (thumbs up, 'nice shot' and other comments, fist bumps, etc).  I have no idea, but it seems a natural part of games of all kinds.  And pros can recognize a truly good shot and appreciate it, even when it's the 'other guy' that shot it.  Some of the guys are pretty quiet and inside their own heads, but I do see quite a few pairings where they walk together a few times and have some conversation and laughs.  (hell, Tiger isolates himself as much as anyone, but that doesn't stop Rory from walking with him and talking to him during a competition a few times when they've been paired...)

 

as it should be

post #1128 of 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

What about Tiger's DQ that doesn't seem to be happening?

I know I'm late but I thought I'd chew on this awhile to make sure I knew exactly how I felt about what happened.  I would have liked to see Tiger win the Masters again, but glad he didn't this way.  Whatever records he ever set relative to big Jack would be forever questioned if he had won.  But the bottom line is Tiger made a mistake, broke the rules and signed an incorrect scorecard.  It was an honest mistake and he was forthcoming about what he did in later interviews, but the circumstances were not unusual and he should have received a DQ penalty.  It is too bad as Tiger is one of the very best that ever played the game, maybe the very best and he and deserved better from the rule committee than being treated differently than any other golfer in the field would have been.  So that's what I think for whatever it is worth.

post #1129 of 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghalfaire View Post

I know I'm late but I thought I'd chew on this awhile to make sure I knew exactly how I felt about what happened.  I would have liked to see Tiger win the Masters again, but glad he didn't this way.  Whatever records he ever set relative to big Jack would be forever questioned if he had won.  But the bottom line is Tiger made a mistake, broke the rules and signed an incorrect scorecard.  It was an honest mistake and he was forthcoming about what he did in later interviews, but the circumstances were not unusual and he should have received a DQ penalty.  It is too bad as Tiger is one of the very best that ever played the game, maybe the very best and he and deserved better from the rule committee than being treated differently than any other golfer in the field would have been.  So that's what I think for whatever it is worth.

 

He was not treated differently than any other golfer because he did not sign an incorrect scorecard as far as the rules committee was concerned at the time of his signing of the score card. This is clearly explained on page 62 of  this thread. May I point out also that I believe it`s unfair that he received a penalty at all because it seems like almost every other player in the field wouldn`t have because they don`t consistently have 15+ cameras on them.

post #1130 of 1228
Thread Starter 

I'm still not an Angel fan.

 

It turns out I just want to see great golf, and I want to see the major winners playing it, and 99.8% of the time, Angel doesn't provide it.

 

Yeah, he seems like a cool dude and all. But that's almost a non-factor to me - I just care about the golf.

post #1131 of 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

I'm still not an Angel fan.

 

It turns out I just want to see great golf, and I want to see the major winners playing it, and 99.8% of the time, Angel doesn't provide it.

 

Yeah, he seems like a cool dude and all. But that's almost a non-factor to me - I just care about the golf.

 

well - he played pretty good golf this time so not a fan of Angel?  no biggie, but I was a fan of his play at the least.  I was rooting for Scott, I like to see someone that looks like an athlete win these things...  But Angel  (Angle, Anjel, Anhel, An'el) played some super nice shots over this tourny...So it was nice to see his 0.2% demonstration this time at least.

post #1132 of 1228
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehmwa View Post

well - he played pretty good golf this time so not a fan of Angel?  no biggie, but I was a fan of his play at the least.  I was rooting for Scott, I like to see someone that looks like an athlete win these things...  But Angel  (Angle, Anjel, Anhel, An'el) played some super nice shots over this tourny...So it was nice to see his 0.2% demonstration this time at least.

 

As I said, he only seems to play pretty good golf about 0.2% of the time.

 

I like major winners to be good golfers more than once every 2 years.

post #1133 of 1228

He doesn't really play much golf anymore. Anywhere. 

 

I'm kinda sorry he didn't win because there were a lot of "nice weather, for ducks" jokes in there.

post #1134 of 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

Sea, part beforest me.




Of course, Scott got GIF'ed:

http://i.minus.com/iIPH258ovmaP4.gif

Superb photo, great to see Scott win this. The final few groups were a great advert for golf.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2013 Masters Discussion Thread, Update with Tiger's Illegal Drop (Post #343)