or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Bad day of golf?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bad day of golf? - Page 2

post #19 of 43

I am having a hard time on the course right now too.  Everything feels terrible.  I will try some of these suggestions and hopefully they will work because I have a tournament on Sunday.  I can handle the occassional bad day at the course, but I have been having a bad 3 weeks in a row.

post #20 of 43

SC take a big breath and slow it down.

Good luck sunday!

post #21 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker101 View Post

SC take a big breath and slow it down.

Good luck sunday!

Thanks, slowing down is my number 1 problem.  That is usually the only thing I think about when taking practice swings or at address.

post #22 of 43

Well you have a few days take a step back and dont think about golf. Walk the dog, take the wife do anything just dont look at the clubs.

Let us know how you did!

post #23 of 43

First off, there is no such thing as a bad day of golf!  If I have an off day I set my clubs aside for a few days and do something to get my mind off of my golf game.  Spend time with my grandsons, go to a movie, go out to dinner with my wife, anything to cleanse my mind of the bad experience.

post #24 of 43

Stop scoring, call it a practice round, and just try stuff you're working on anyway.  If that sucks, skip a hole or two, mock your playing partners and get a drink from cart girl.

 

Short theme - you are out of the house, in a nice field somewhere and away from work.  It's still a good day.

 

 

edit:  or, call it day, shake Phil's hand, leave (DON'T talk to anyone yet), go to the dentist office

post #25 of 43

I had a day like that the first time I played with my boss, and his boss, a VP in my company. Talk about feeling like s&!t. And he is a really good player. I couldn't hit anything, sliced into the trees, hit every sand trap on the course (and couldn't get out of them), putting was horrible, everything went down the tubes. No, I don't have any words of encouragement. I just 'sucked it up' and went back out played again. Game came back as it always does. I think nerves got the best of me that day. And oh yeah, we were playing for money. d2_doh.gif

post #26 of 43
W
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooke119 View Post

I had a day like that the first time I played with my boss, and his boss, a VP in my company. Talk about feeling like s&!t. And he is a really good player. I couldn't hit anything, sliced into the trees, hit every sand trap on the course (and couldn't get out of them), putting was horrible, everything went down the tubes. No, I don't have any words of encouragement. I just 'sucked it up' and went back out played again. Game came back as it always does. I think nerves got the best of me that day. And oh yeah, we were playing for money. d2_doh.gif

Fwiw....

When I take people who work for me out to play golf, if they play too well, I wonder what they're doing when they're supposed to be working!

a2_wink.gif
post #27 of 43

Talk about a bad day of golf, played Dos Lagos in Corona. Missed every F ing fairway on the front 9. Had a slice with my driver that I could not fix, slowed it down on the back 9 and keep in play but way short. Great course will want to play it again....after I fix this slice.

post #28 of 43

Watch a few videos of the pro's shanking a few and hitting bad shots then i realise no one's perfect and that i just have to keep working at it to stop these events occuring.

post #29 of 43

I remember seeing Tigar last night not carrier the lake or Phil hit one in the stands I think it comes down to how you rebound from it, will it crush your game or will you brush it off?

I will be at the range tomorrow working on my driver or not maybe I will just go run it over..ha-ha!

post #30 of 43

There's always something that goes right when playing. I your driver isn't working maybe the fairway woods are. I just keep plugging along, sometimes just quit keeping score. If the course isn't busy and there's no one beind me I'll hit a second ball to see if I can correct whatever happened. Always play the first ball for score.

post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp245 View Post

There's always something that goes right when playing. I your driver isn't working maybe the fairway woods are. I just keep plugging along, sometimes just quit keeping score. If the course isn't busy and there's no one beind me I'll hit a second ball to see if I can correct whatever happened. Always play the first ball for score.


You do realize that once you hit the first "second ball" you no longer have a legitimate "score", whether you only count the first ball or not?

 

Many times I am the only person on the course and play multiple balls and try multiple shots. Sometimes improve a lie to fit something I am working on, and sometimes intentionally give myself a worse lie to fit something else I'm working on. They are practice rounds and I would never call any of those a score at the end (even with the number I got on my first ball). If someone asked me what I shot I would simply say that I didn't keep score.

 

I have no access to a driving range so those rounds are necessary around here to get in enough practice. These days the only times I truly have a score is in the Saturday money game and if I am in enough of a hurry to just want to play my round with no extra shots without having to chase down extra balls (which seems to be more and more often). Plus I play a lot with my son and he keeps track of a handicap so he has to play all of his rounds legitimately so most of the time I do too unless I hit a ball OB. On those I am certainly not going to go back to the tee so from that point on I no longer even have a score to talk about after the round.

post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post


You do realize that once you hit the first "second ball" you no longer have a legitimate "score", whether you only count the first ball or not?

 

Many times I am the only person on the course and play multiple balls and try multiple shots. Sometimes improve a lie to fit something I am working on, and sometimes intentionally give myself a worse lie to fit something else I'm working on. They are practice rounds and I would never call any of those a score at the end (even with the number I got on my first ball). If someone asked me what I shot I would simply say that I didn't keep score.

 

I have no access to a driving range so those rounds are necessary around here to get in enough practice. These days the only times I truly have a score is in the Saturday money game and if I am in enough of a hurry to just want to play my round with no extra shots without having to chase down extra balls (which seems to be more and more often). Plus I play a lot with my son and he keeps track of a handicap so he has to play all of his rounds legitimately so most of the time I do too unless I hit a ball OB. On those I am certainly not going to go back to the tee so from that point on I no longer even have a score to talk about after the round.

I think your approach does not match the USGA's Handicap Manual.  The USGA would like players to record as many scores as possible.  When you hit a ball OB and just drop one near where it went out, the USGA suggests you record a number for the score you most likely would have made, subject to ESC, and indicate it by an "X".  The process is somewhat subjective but in many cases the maximum ESC score is pretty close to the truth.

 

Of course, you don't maintain a handicap so how you choose to proceed is your personal business but those who do have a handicap need to follow the guidelines set down by the USGA.

post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkuehn1952 View Post

I think your approach does not match the USGA's Handicap Manual.  The USGA would like players to record as many scores as possible.  When you hit a ball OB and just drop one near where it went out, the USGA suggests you record a number for the score you most likely would have made, subject to ESC, and indicate it by an "X".  The process is somewhat subjective but in many cases the maximum ESC score is pretty close to the truth.

 

Of course, you don't maintain a handicap so how you choose to proceed is your personal business but those who do have a handicap need to follow the guidelines set down by the USGA.

Maybe my comment wasn't defined very well.

 

There are no practice shots allowed. If there were it would be easy enough to hit some so-called practice shots that just happened to match up with upcomming shots.

 

The other paragraphs are simply what I do and don't have a bearing on anything other than the fact that I can't talk about a "score" after a round where I wasn't playing by the rules.

 

I played with a guy one time that must have hit at least 20 practice shots and hit several balls OB (no big deal to me as we were just playing for fun) but after the round I heard him tell some people he shot a 79. SMH

post #34 of 43

You did notice I stated I don't keep score? Those rounds do not count towards my handicap, just pratice rounds to try to improve my game which certainly needs it. As one other contributer stated I don't have a range around to pratice on I don't either unless I want to hit off astro truf layed out on cement, which I refuse, to do so some of my rounds are for pratice only.

post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp245 View Post

You did notice I stated I don't keep score? Those rounds do not count towards my handicap, just pratice rounds to try to improve my game which certainly needs it. As one other contributer stated I don't have a range around to pratice on I don't either unless I want to hit off astro truf layed out on cement, which I refuse, to do so some of my rounds are for pratice only.

I do the same thing and have no need for a handicap. The only serious game I play in doesn't use handicaps.

 

My choices for practice are my back yard and on the golf course.

 

You did say "Always play the first ball for score." Maybe that means something different than it sounds like it means.

post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker101 View Post

Well you have a few days take a step back and dont think about golf. Walk the dog, take the wife do anything just dont look at the clubs.
Let us know how you did!
I played in my tournament yesterday at Oak Creek in Irvine, CA. Hit the ball better than I expected. I finished tied for second and shot a 97, which is good for me considering how I have been playing and I've never been there before. I would have scored much better if it weren't for 2 issues. Each time I hit into a bunker it would take me 2 shots to get out (I hit into 4 of them). Also, I lost 2 balls in long grass just off the fairway, I wish we had spotters. Overall I was pleased with my round. I just need to figure out my tee shots and how to stop hooking them. I'm not far from getting this figured out. During the round I also tried my best to think about things non-golf related. My kids, life, just relaxing and having fun, that kind of stuff.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Bad day of golf?