or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › The Definitive &#(@%ing Cursing/Swearing/Cussing/Profanity Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Definitive &#(@%ing Cursing/Swearing/Cussing/Profanity Thread - Page 5

post #73 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

Hmm.  I've heard Mormons drop the f-bomb plenty of times.  Even famous athlete Mormons.  Being raised Catholic, I am only required to feel guilty about swearing.

LOL,,,That's a good one!!!!

 

 

I don't cuss my bad shot's very often, but slow groups in front of me can get an occasional WTF!!!!

I'm not Catholic so no guilt required!

post #74 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge head View Post

Interesting...almost all of the statements made about swearing on the golf course being normal if not expected, comes from high handicaps. Maybe if you spent more time concentrating on your game you would play better and not have so many reasons to let go...

Wow.

 

Since this thread was a spin-off from a conversation about professional golfers (who are not high handicaps last time I checked) using profanity, maybe somebody should tell Tiger to spend more time concentrating on his game so he would play better and not have so many reasons to let go.

post #75 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge head View Post

 When you act like an idiot every time something happens out of the ordinary, people will realize you have no game.

 

all people have to do is see my swing & they'll know I have no game.  It must be nice to be an always in complete control single digit hcp player who likes lecturing people less skilled than himself about practicing more ...

post #76 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge head View Post

When you act like an idiot every time something happens out of the ordinary, people will realize you have no game.

 

When you assume people who swear are acting like an idiot...it makes you look like an idiot.  You know, you can actually swear very quietly?  Have you ever whispered before?  It's the same concept.

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post

 

all people have to do is see my swing & they'll know I have no game.  It must be nice to be an always in complete control single digit hcp player who likes lecturing people less skilled than himself about practicing more ...

 

Pay no attention to it.  That completely ignores the fact that PGA, Euro, and LPGA touring pros who swear are clearly not high handicappers.  It also assumes that any swearing is accompanied by an emotional outburst or some other sort of demonstration, which is not necessarily the case.  In short, he's attempting a correlation that simply isn't there.

post #77 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

 

Quote:

Pay no attention to it.  That completely ignores the fact that PGA, Euro, and LPGA touring pros who swear are clearly not high handicappers.  It also assumes that any swearing is accompanied by an emotional outburst or some other sort of demonstration, which is not necessarily the case.  In short, he's attempting a correlation that simply isn't there.

 

Yeah, I didn't see a p-value from a Fisher's Exact test to confirm or deny his null hypothesis.

post #78 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

 

When you assume people who swear are acting like an idiot...it makes you look like an idiot.  You know, you can actually swear very quietly?  Have you ever whispered before?  It's the same concept.

 

 


 

Pay no attention to it.  That completely ignores the fact that PGA, Euro, and LPGA touring pros who swear are clearly not high handicappers.  It also assumes that any swearing is accompanied by an emotional outburst or some other sort of demonstration, which is not necessarily the case.  In short, he's attempting a correlation that simply isn't there.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak4n6 View Post

 

Yeah, I didn't see a p-value from a Fisher's Exact test to confirm or deny his null hypothesis.

What are you guys talking about?  He's right and it's documented.  haven't you ever seen this:

 

post #79 of 178

c3_clap.gif c3_clap.gifc3_clap.gif

post #80 of 178

Comparing this chart to the Number of 5SK earned vs. Handicap chart suggests a possible inverse correlation between frequency of cursing and the number of 5SK earned? Implying that simply cursing less might result in learning more of the 5SK elements ... or maybe not a1_smile.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

 

What are you guys talking about?  He's right and it's documented.  haven't you ever seen this:

 

 

post #81 of 178

You guys better not be mocking me c4_mad.gif

post #82 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

 

When you assume people who swear are acting like an idiot...it makes you look like an idiot.  You know, you can actually swear very quietly?  Have you ever whispered before?  It's the same concept.

 

 


 

Pay no attention to it.  That completely ignores the fact that PGA, Euro, and LPGA touring pros who swear are clearly not high handicappers.  It also assumes that any swearing is accompanied by an emotional outburst or some other sort of demonstration, which is not necessarily the case.  In short, he's attempting a correlation that simply isn't there.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak4n6 View Post

 

Yeah, I didn't see a p-value from a Fisher's Exact test to confirm or deny his null hypothesis.

What are you guys talking about?  He's right and it's documented.  haven't you ever seen this:

 

 

I thought it was more like this:

 

 

post #83 of 178

I guess I owe this forum an apology. It wasn't my intention to come across as elitist or arrogant. I'm 61 years old and have raised 4 children. I've played competitive golf on the state level and designed, constructed and operated my own course. My purpose for sharing my feelings as I did is this. I feel there is a huge disconnect in the way people are behaving in public situations these days. There seems to be no respect for the people around you. I don't object to swearing. I have one of the dirtiest mouths you'll ever encounter. I've learned to temper my mouth in situations where I'm not known and where I may offend someone around me. I really enjoy playing with anyone regardless of ability.

Long story short, I have a huge respect for the game of golf and what it can do for the people who enjoy. I guess I have to realize that the way golfers present themselves today is much different than in the past.

Again, I apologize for coming across as being above anyone else in the sand trap. Let's face it, that's why they call me wedge head.

post #84 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge head View Post

I guess I owe this forum an apology. It wasn't my intention to come across as elitist or arrogant. I'm 61 years old and have raised 4 children. I've played competitive golf on the state level and designed, constructed and operated my own course. My purpose for sharing my feelings as I did is this. I feel there is a huge disconnect in the way people are behaving in public situations these days. There seems to be no respect for the people around you. I don't object to swearing. I have one of the dirtiest mouths you'll ever encounter. I've learned to temper my mouth in situations where I'm not known and where I may offend someone around me. I really enjoy playing with anyone regardless of ability.
Long story short, I have a huge respect for the game of golf and what it can do for the people who enjoy. I guess I have to realize that the way golfers present themselves today is much different than in the past.
Again, I apologize for coming across as being above anyone else in the sand trap. Let's face it, that's why they call me wedge head.

You, sir, have class.
post #85 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge head View Post

I guess I owe this forum an apology. It wasn't my intention to come across as elitist or arrogant. I'm 61 years old and have raised 4 children. I've played competitive golf on the state level and designed, constructed and operated my own course. My purpose for sharing my feelings as I did is this. I feel there is a huge disconnect in the way people are behaving in public situations these days. There seems to be no respect for the people around you. I don't object to swearing. I have one of the dirtiest mouths you'll ever encounter. I've learned to temper my mouth in situations where I'm not known and where I may offend someone around me. I really enjoy playing with anyone regardless of ability.

Long story short, I have a huge respect for the game of golf and what it can do for the people who enjoy. I guess I have to realize that the way golfers present themselves today is much different than in the past.

Again, I apologize for coming across as being above anyone else in the sand trap. Let's face it, that's why they call me wedge head.

 

I have to agree as well, i am very similar. If i am by myself, i curse a lot more than i am with my relatives, or someone new. Even then the curse words i use are on the lighter side, nothing really harsh or vulgar. 

 

As go for being offended, i don't get why people are offended by cursing. I can understand if you don't want your kids to hear it, but when you get those people who just look at you with shock in there face, like you just slaped them out of no were. I don't get that type of reaction to cursing. 

 

Yea i get the concept of a gentleman's game. You also have to remember that Professional Golfers were frowned upon for many years around the time of Bobby Jones. They were gamblers, and thought as taking the purity of golf away form the sport. I don't mind cursing on the course, its to the level in which it interrupts people's play. There is no room for being excessively rude, or loud. I hate trying to play and hearing the group infront of you, from 200 yards away, yelling, cursing. To me its more of the volume and intensity that bother's me. I'll say a few choice words on some bad shots, but not loud enough for someone even 50 yards away from me to hear. To me i put it in the same category if a group is just overly loud. I guess its not the cursing, but not being considerate of other groups around you with the volume of the voice. 

 

 

 

Also, that graph is awesome, i might steal that :p 

post #86 of 178

My strategy is to hit so many bad shots that I am so used to it I rarely get the urge to curse. (But I would be lying if I said it has never happened).

 

For me it's more like "Well there's yet another one. How in the world am I going to make a par from there."

post #87 of 178

Two things I would like to add.  One of which I have told before.

 

I once was paired with a terrible golfer.  Topped shots, missing the ball, putts making it half way to the hole.  Being a helpful guy, I tried to offer some suggestions and tips.  After several holes this golfer began to curse and swear at me like a drunken sailor.  Unfortunately for me, I did not know that she would act like this on the golf course when I married her!

 

Our regular Saturday group used to include an accomplished former college player turned club pro turned pastor.  Whenever someone let one slip he would always tell them you should spend at least one hour on the range or practice green for every swear word you utter in a round.   One day my buddy responds, "S&*^, I don't have that kind of time".

post #88 of 178

If you study the history of golf, you will find that cursing was actually invented for golf.  No one ever swore before the game was invented.  This is a little known fact I just came up with.

post #89 of 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge head View Post

I guess I owe this forum an apology. It wasn't my intention to come across as elitist or arrogant. I'm 61 years old and have raised 4 children. I've played competitive golf on the state level and designed, constructed and operated my own course. My purpose for sharing my feelings as I did is this. I feel there is a huge disconnect in the way people are behaving in public situations these days. There seems to be no respect for the people around you. I don't object to swearing. I have one of the dirtiest mouths you'll ever encounter. I've learned to temper my mouth in situations where I'm not known and where I may offend someone around me. I really enjoy playing with anyone regardless of ability.

Long story short, I have a huge respect for the game of golf and what it can do for the people who enjoy. I guess I have to realize that the way golfers present themselves today is much different than in the past.

Again, I apologize for coming across as being above anyone else in the sand trap. Let's face it, that's why they call me wedge head.

 

This pretty much sums up my beliefs on the subject.

post #90 of 178
My buddy still tells a story from like 10 years ago about when I missed a 2 foot par putt on the 18th hole to lose like 8 different bets. I went into a expletive-laden tirade that even Bobby Knight would have been proud of. Funny thing was 4 groups of ladies were standing on the #1 tee which is right next to the 18th green. Boy, I got some stern looks as I walked past. I've learned to tone it down a bit since then, but sometimes you still need to let fly a few choice words.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › The Definitive &#(@%ing Cursing/Swearing/Cussing/Profanity Thread