or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Stevie Williams and the Winning Putt
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stevie Williams and the Winning Putt - Page 4

post #55 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post

If I were his caddy, I would be standing off to the side with a smile on my face. I wouldn't expect recognition or initiate it by advancing to my player. That's just the way that I am though. If he came over for embrace and celebration, I would definitely be there to do that. But, I would not be the one to fist pump immediately and run into my player's moment. I guess I would rather celebrate within my own role, regardless of the advice that I gave or relationship to my player. I can be proud and overtaken by emotions for my friend/player without pouncing on him and doing 360° twirls on the green with my hand out to shake everyone's hand within proximity of my player.

Everyone is different though and I understood completely. Hell, it's the Masters and he was stoked. Again, it's just the "public perception" of Stevie and how easy it is to say "Oh there you go Stevie, soak up that win buddy. Yep, it was all you!". That's really all there is to it.

I have to say when Adam Scott made that putt on 10 there was a pretty big roar coming out of my Family room and it was a awesome end to the Masters. I could have cared less what Steve Williams was doing or how he celebrated. I think all real Adam Scott fans were probably doing the same thing I was.

 

Angry Tiger Fan was more than likely critiquing every little step and breath Steve Williams took at that moment. Seek therapy, you'll feel better!

post #56 of 113

Was at my local golf club Masters event here in Australia and the atmosphere was electric. Couldn't care less what Williams did to celebrate and I don't think Scott or Cabrera did either. The two embraced and showed awesome sportsmanship for what was overall an amazing and memorable Masters.

post #57 of 113

How does anyone or team react when they win a championship? There is no rhyme or reason to a celebration and everyone scatters looking for the nearest person to hug and celebrate with.  If I spent hours on end working with my caddy on getting my game right and I finally had a break through he/she would be the first person that I looked for.  I know one tendency of the teams winning championships is that they celebrate, dogpile or whatever....THEN they compose themselves and shake their opponents hand.  It is never the other way around. 

 

I don't care for SW one way or the other but there is no way that he could steal the spotlight from the Master's champion and I'm sure that he is more than thrilled for his guy to win as he should be. 

post #58 of 113

I didn't have a problem with this at all, 99% of the time the caddy and player celebrate together right away.

post #59 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Golf View Post

 

Right...you were being sarcastic a2_wink.gif. Might need to work on your sarcasm skills a bit.

 

And I am certainly not tetchy! I'm not sure what tetchy is, but I am 99% sure I'm not it.

 

And you better watch who you call a lady, ever had a lady hit it 50 yards past you and beat you by 20 strokes? Come to NM and it can happen.

 

Synonyms- 
techy - testy - irritable - petulant - peevish - fretful.   

 

I accredited major wins to a caddy, thought that might have been fairly blantant in terms of sarcasm, given that so many threads were bagging Steve for carrying on like he won the majors.

 

Perhaps someones sarcasm monitors need re-calibration? Sorry it was a clumsy troll........

post #60 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker0065 View Post

I have to say when Adam Scott made that putt on 10 there was a pretty big roar coming out of my Family room and it was a awesome end to the Masters. I could have cared less what Steve Williams was doing or how he celebrated. I think all real Adam Scott fans were probably doing the same thing I was.

 

Angry Tiger Fan was more than likely critiquing every little step and breath Steve Williams took at that moment. Seek therapy, you'll feel better!


I am not exactly sure how you jumped to the conclusion that I'm a Tiger woods fan for laughing at Stevie. If you want me to be really blunt, the guy is an a-hole and as really crappy behavior. How that makes me an "Angry Tiger Fan" is beyond me though.

 

Quote:
Everyone is different though and I understood completely. Hell, it's the Masters and he was stoked. Again, it's just the "public perception" of Stevie and how easy it is to say "Oh there you go Stevie, soak up that win buddy. Yep, it was all you!". That's really all there is to it.

 

I think you need to actually read what I said before you quote my specific post and take me out of context. My entire post was about how I would react if I were a caddy, followed by a statement saying "But I understand..". I think you're an overzealous Stevie fan though since you're so quick to label others as angry Tiger fans. Especially when I'm simply talking about how the Stevie haters perceive him and why (ie: his behavior, his attitude, his ego).

post #61 of 113

I just wonder if Cabrera could have saved a stroke or two over the four days with a caddie that had more experience than his son. Of course, when you're 269th in the world. it's probably tough to get someone, but he does have two majors.

post #62 of 113

Nicklaus did pretty good w/ his son on the bag.

 

I don't think you can draw any conclusions one way or another.

 

And I don't think being 269 has anything to do with not finding someone to carry a golf bag in the Masters

post #63 of 113

Stevie bugs the crap out of me... something just doesn't seem right to me about him. I agree he is a bit of an attention wh*re and all of that.

 

That being said, I didn't have a problem with him on the winning putt.

post #64 of 113

The celebration didnt bother me at all. He was excited for his guy cant knock SW for that. But to me it was a bit off seeing SW standing next to Angel Cabrera as Scott was putting out. Just seemed weird to me. Shouldnt he have been somewhere off camera holding the flag???

post #65 of 113

I agree with most people about the celebration after the winning putt, that was not too out of the ordinary. As far as running to get in front of the camera is concerned, Stevie still runs a distant second to Amy Mickelson.

post #66 of 113

I enjoyed watching Adam Scott win The Masters with Tiger's old caddie and Tiger's old swing. Just don't get me started on that putter!

post #67 of 113
Steve is tied with Tiger in Masters wins now, right?
post #68 of 113

Williams is a typical Kiwi and Scott is not a typical Aussie. Normally both nationalities are known for being outspoken, rude and sexist which I believe suits the caddie but not the player. Nothing derogatory....just the facts.

post #69 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaclaine View Post

I enjoyed watching Adam Scott win The Masters with Tiger's old caddie and Tiger's old swing. Just don't get me started on that putter!

 

 

He certainly does not have Tiger's old swing. The two have never had a swing that is anything alike.

post #70 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApocG10 View Post


He certainly does not have Tiger's old swing. The two have never had a swing that is anything alike.

Well they have at least 5 things in common. a2_wink.gif
post #71 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApocG10 View Post

 

 

He certainly does not have Tiger's old swing. The two have never had a swing that is anything alike.


You may want to check out this video:

 

post #72 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianpro View Post

Williams is a typical Kiwi and Scott is not a typical Aussie. Normally both nationalities are known for being outspoken, rude and sexist which I believe suits the caddie but not the player. Nothing derogatory....just the facts.

LOL.  You just said that typical Australians and New Zealanders are outspoken, rude and sexist, then followed it up with "nothing derogatory."  That's funny.  Reminds me of Ricky Bobby ... "With all due respect ...":

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Stevie Williams and the Winning Putt