or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Balls, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear, Etc. › Looking for a good distance ball
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a good distance ball

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

I recently started playing the Titlelist Velocity Ball. Previously I used prov1

and Nike platinum. The differrence was amazing. the Velocity really added distance to my drives and other shots. I would say at least ten more yards on my drives. This was the first time I tried a ball with the intent of getting more distance. Just curious if anyone has any other suggestions of balls to try. The only down side I have noticed is the cover tends to mark up faster and the check up on the greens is not as good as the Nike P. or the prov1.

post #2 of 28
What affects your score more? Ten extra yards or more control around the greens? Remember, you only hit the driver 14 times! The reason the Velocity is going further for you is because it has less spin. Have you tried a Pro V1x? Less spin off the tee, but same green side control
post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by makvii View Post

What affects your score more? Ten extra yards or more control around the greens? Remember, you only hit the driver 14 times! The reason the Velocity is going further for you is because it has less spin. Have you tried a Pro V1x? Less spin off the tee, but same green side control

I have tried the PROV1X it seems a little too hard. My swing speed is about 90-95 mph. I think the velocity compresses easier. For me it is a lot easier to get a 8 iron to check up then a 6 iron which when you combine the two increased distances is what I would hit.  I will try the prov1x again just to be sure as I find plenty of them around the course. Thanks for the input.

post #4 of 28

Nike Vapor Black

 

Srixon Q-Star

 

Bridgestone e5

 

...in that order.

post #5 of 28
The truth is all the golf balls nowadays go about the same distance. Swing speed has nothing to do with it. If you have a faster swing speed, you'll hit the ball further obviously. But with your swing speed you're going to hit the V1x and Velocity within 3-5 yards of each other. Your 90-95mph swing speed is pretty similar to the LPGA girls (not an insult! Those girls can play) and they play both V1 and V1x, but not Velocity!
post #6 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by makvii View Post

The truth is all the golf balls nowadays go about the same distance. Swing speed has nothing to do with it. If you have a faster swing speed, you'll hit the ball further obviously. But with your swing speed you're going to hit the V1x and Velocity within 3-5 yards of each other. Your 90-95mph swing speed is pretty similar to the LPGA girls (not an insult! Those girls can play) and they play both V1 and V1x, but not Velocity!

No problem I find that I hit the ball as far as most guys my age (56) and quite a few younger players at our club. Interestingly I was in Hawaii in January staying at the Disney Aulani resort which abuts the Ko Olina golf course where the Lotte LPGA tournament is being played. I played the Velocity and was hitting drives anywhere from 240- 285 yards. I used a set of Rocketballz clubs. I really liked the driver a 10.5 with a regular shaft. Liked it so much that I bought one and am using it now. As a matter of fact I bought an extra one for my place in florida. Hence my name "club ho". I have four full sets in florida.

post #7 of 28

I don't buy the Titleist bs that swing speed doesn't matter.

post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by club ho View Post

No problem I find that I hit the ball as far as most guys my age (56) and quite a few younger players at our club. Interestingly I was in Hawaii in January staying at the Disney Aulani resort which abuts the Ko Olina golf course where the Lotte LPGA tournament is being played. I played the Velocity and was hitting drives anywhere from 240- 285 yards. I used a set of Rocketballz clubs. I really liked the driver a 10.5 with a regular shaft. Liked it so much that I bought one and am using it now. As a matter of fact I bought an extra one for my place in florida. Hence my name "club ho". I have four full sets in florida.

 

The bolded section in your post is what I believe is your issue.  It sounds as if you're struggling to find consistency in your swing if your range on your drives is that dramatic.  The ProV1 and V1x are both higher spin balls and you're probably losing distance caused by the spin, not the "distance" aspect of the ball.  Distance balls go further simply because they produce less spin and thus don't offer the same playability that an expierenced golfer desires.

 

If you're looking into distance balls I'd recommend taking ClayHbg's advice and try some of those balls out.   You should check out lossgolfballs.com or another used/recycled website and get them cheaper.  Recycled balls play damn near identical to brand new balls and cost a fraction of the price.  No sense in paying full price for a ball you haven't hit yet.

post #9 of 28

I don't know that any ball is a long ball but some of my longer drives come from crappy pinnacle golds I find on the course.

post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kctay View Post

I don't buy the Titleist bs that swing speed doesn't matter.

If swing speed is so important, how can Bubba Watson and Stacy Lewis both play the Pro V1x? Or Adam Scott and Cristie Kerr play the Pro V1? They have a swing speed difference of 30+mph.
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by makvii View Post


If swing speed is so important, how can Bubba Watson and Stacy Lewis both play the Pro V1x? Or Adam Scott and Cristie Kerr play the Pro V1? They have a swing speed difference of 30+mph.

Good point. I'd be interested in hearing someone knowledgeable weight in on that.

post #12 of 28

I have a launch monitor.  It is all about ball speed.  I was amp'd up to fit myself into a ball.  I bought lots of balls for testing.  The result of the testing was very interesting if not disappointing, 

Any reasonable quality ball goes about the same distance.  The "speed" of the ball is regulated and it is not hard to produce a ball near the max speed.  There are balls that will spin slightly differently then other but my swing is not consistent enough to have that difference be meaningful on the course.  I decided that I was going to find a ball that I liked around the green.  One that spun to my taste.  I was also hoping for something more reasonably priced.  I am still playing around with balls but I have settled on one that meets my goals for now.

 

It is a Callaway Hex Pro from Costco.  It does not say it has a Urethane cover but it sure feels like one.  They are $24 a dozen, not exactly cheap but not $44 a dozen either.  I played 18 switching between 2 during the round and they both are still playable.

 

Titilest says there is not a significant difference between any of their balls.  Why would they lie?

post #13 of 28

Bridgestone E7.  Theyre loooooooooong!  Also, I agree with whomever said that they dont believe Titleist's BS claim that swing speed and compressing the ball doesnt matter.

post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post

Bridgestone E7.  Theyre loooooooooong!  Also, I agree with whomever said that they dont believe Titleist's BS claim that swing speed and compressing the ball doesnt matter.

I believe Titleist said that any golfer could benefit from their premium ball.  They also said all of their balls go roughly the same distance.    So by saying all the balls go the same distance they were opening the door to anyone playing one of their less expensive balls. 

post #15 of 28

I played in an Oil and Gas Tournament in Euless, Texas (Texas Star) and they had a runner up from the Remax Long Drive Competition who was seeking donations for a charity. On the 18th hole, a par 5 measuring 535 from the gold tees, he would hit a drive then if you could make the resulting double eagle they would fly you anywhere in the world for a week.

He hit our shot with a carry of 380, and a roll out resulting in a total distance of 411.

 

There were a few funny things:

1st: He teed the ball up about 4 inches.

2nd: He hit the ball so high it seemed like it would never come down.

3rd: His driver was about 4-6 inches longer than a standard driver.

4th: We asked what he was hitting and he said "The ball all the long drivers use is the Pinnacle Gold." 

 

His smoking hot blonde girlfriend then showed us the Box full of them behind his launch monitor.

They are a terrible ball around the green when it comes to feel, but since you asked for a Distance Ball this according to him was the best.

post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRobot View Post

I played in an Oil and Gas Tournament in Euless, Texas (Texas Star) and they had a runner up from the Remax Long Drive Competition who was seeking donations for a charity. On the 18th hole, a par 5 measuring 535 from the gold tees, he would hit a drive then if you could make the resulting double eagle they would fly you anywhere in the world for a week.
He hit our shot with a carry of 380, and a roll out resulting in a total distance of 411.

There were a few funny things:
1st: He teed the ball up about 4 inches.
2nd: He hit the ball so high it seemed like it would never come down.
3rd: His driver was about 4-6 inches longer than a standard driver.
4th: We asked what he was hitting and he said "The ball all the long drivers use is the Pinnacle Gold." 

His smoking hot blonde girlfriend then showed us the Box full of them behind his launch monitor.
They are a terrible ball around the green when it comes to feel, but since you asked for a Distance Ball this according to him was the best.
I'll be damned
post #17 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post


I'll be damned

It's true...Pinnacle used to be the #1 golf ball for the long drive competitions.  A lot of them have moved away from Pinnacle for some reason though.

post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown88 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post


I'll be damned

It's true...Pinnacle used to be the #1 golf ball for the long drive competitions.  A lot of them have moved away from Pinnacle for some reason though.


Mostly I found it interesting because I found the balls longer when I used them. I guess I will have to keep one in the bag for long drives in scrambles...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Balls, Carts/Bags, Apparel, Gear, Etc. › Looking for a good distance ball