or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Guan gets sponsor invite to the Zurich Classic
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Guan gets sponsor invite to the Zurich Classic

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I'm betting it's not the last one he gets this year either!

Does he make the cut? I'll say no, but I wouldn't put a lot of money on it......


http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/guan-accepts-sponsor-invite-to-zurich-classic/
post #2 of 11

That is very cool. As far as the cut? He beat out some pretty high profile guys at the Masters so who knows...I'd keep my money in my pocket.

post #3 of 11

Here we go. Got to wonder what the pros/cons are for a 14 yr old doing this. Saw Michelle Wie-circus act and see what happened to her. Ty Tryon as well.

 

Wonder what Bob Rotella has to say about the kid playing - as well as some of the big golf gurus who know a thing or two about swing development.

post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Martin View Post

Here we go. Got to wonder what the pros/cons are for a 14 yr old doing this. Saw Michelle Wie-circus act and see what happened to her. Ty Tryon as well.

Wonder what Bob Rotella has to say about the kid playing - as well as some of the big golf gurus who know a thing or two about swing development.

He made the cut and was low amateur at the Masters. Way out of Wie or Tryon's league.

If he plays well, he'll be getting a LOT of sponsor invites. He may end up as a TV draw to rival Tiger!

Of course, if he rolls over and dies.......
post #5 of 11

Yawn... I'm not really seeing the draw here?  

post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

Yawn... I'm not really seeing the draw here?  

Yeah, this thread needs more goats a2_wink.gif

 

 

 

post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

Yawn... I'm not really seeing the draw here?  

It doesn't have to necessarily draw people out to the course. ESPN might mention it on SportsCenter if he historically bombs or makes the cut again, which would only be good for the event and the network running it. It'll likely draw more eyeballs than another Johnson Wagner (or whomever) in the field.

One thing to watch out for is that I kept hearing the announcers say that Guan spent a month in Augusta preparing for The Masters. He doesn't have anywhere near that luxury this time.
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post



One thing to watch out for is that I kept hearing the announcers say that Guan spent a month in Augusta preparing for The Masters. He doesn't have anywhere near that luxury this time.

That's a good point. I'll bet he's out there already though. Gonna be interesting to see how his relative lack of length holds up.
post #9 of 11

Just making cuts isn't going to get anyone that too excited, at least not me.  It's awesome that a 14 year made the cut at The Masters,  but we've seen Wie, Thompson and Lydia Ko win LPGA events so he's going to need to finish at least in the Top 10 to move the needle.   

post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

Just making cuts isn't going to get anyone that too excited, at least not me.  It's awesome that a 14 year made the cut at The Masters,  but we've seen Wie, Thompson and Lydia Ko win LPGA events so he's going to need to finish at least in the Top 10 to move the needle.   

LPGA events. Sorry to the ladies, but there's a HUGE difference. Annika Sorenstam couldn't make the PGA tournament cut 10 years ago in Fort Worth, and she won over 80 women's professional tournaments including 10 majors.

I think an 8th grader making cuts on the PGA tour is gonna drive some TV viewership. Should be interesting to watch....
post #11 of 11
Maybe Guan should see if he can get an invite to an LPGA event. That would be interesting. A little embarrassing if an 8 grader took home the win lol.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Guan gets sponsor invite to the Zurich Classic