or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Over the top HELP

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Well I have the disease... Cast out over the top slice divot and nice looking fade.. It's not a 30 yard slice or anything.. Driver around 15 yards on a bad swing.. Few yards on short irons if I don't hit it well. An maybe 5-10 with long irons.. My handicap is a now a 8 and I manage my way around the course with my little slice.. I just would like to see consistency with the driver... More like a 5-10 yard fade. Any thoughts on fixing the over the top motion?
post #2 of 15

First it is not a slice it is a power fade.  Without video it is impossible to comment.  There are tons of things that you might be doing.

post #3 of 15

if it's a fade your smack on target, not on the right of it. A fade is never right of the target, it goes left and comes back but stays pretty much a todd left of the target until the pitch and kick to the right.

 

it's paradoxal yet a more inline BS, almost ext/int sensation swing can help to reduce the over the top motion.get your left arm going back straight all the time.

 

I beleive it's tom watson who said 'I finaly understood the golf swing when I felt swinging outside then in";

post #4 of 15

A push fade will start right of where your feet and shoulders are aimed and move more right.  Jack Nicklaus played this shot a lot.  An over the top swing (out to in) can produce a pull fade where the ball starts left of where your feet and shoulders are aimed and curve back to the right.  They both are playable shots.

post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubble View Post

if it's a fade your smack on target, not on the right of it. A fade is never right of the target, it goes left and comes back but stays pretty much a todd left of the target until the pitch and kick to the right.

 

it's paradoxal yet a more inline BS, almost ext/int sensation swing can help to reduce the over the top motion.get your left arm going back straight all the time.

 

I beleive it's tom watson who said 'I finaly understood the golf swing when I felt swinging outside then in";

 

A ball with positive axis tilt is a fade the target line does not matter.

post #6 of 15
If you fade it the same amount every time I wouldn't try to fix it. I would play for the fade, makes it easy to hit the green. Aim away from the pin and play it.
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
I'm left handed by the way haha. And I will hope to have video this weekend sometime.. I can manage with the fade but its hard to work a draw because sometimes I cast the club over the top and double cross myself
post #8 of 15
The most important key for me is to initiate the downswing with the hips and let the shoulders and arms follow.
post #9 of 15
The basic fix: smooth transition starting with the hips. Relax the rear arm keeping the back of the leading hand along the swing plane.
post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 
I understand the plane and initiating with the hips now.. Watched a few videos and YouTube an think it helped. Anyone know any good drills?
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingGolf View Post

 

A ball with positive axis tilt is a fade the target line does not matter.


This is cause, not effect !

 

I'm not talking causality. A fade you are in control, a slice you may think you are in control but actualy, you are not.

 

the difference is the wording. language is beautifull (va niquer encule de putain de sa mere) it is so lovely the language n'est-ce pas ?

 

there are different words for different effects, If you control the back spin axis of the ball you are in control.

 

so ! let's go back to the beginer golf books. the wording for trajectory on a chosen target line waries event if the cause is the same.

 

king of like a peeble, stone rock or bolder. same limestone or granit, yet different words for different sizes.

post #12 of 15

You said a fade is never right of the target, that is incorrect.

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingGolf View Post

You said a fade is never right of the target, that is incorrect.

It's not if you're a lefty ;)

I think he's meaning a fade that is played, so it's fades to the target? But of course is right of target (starting) line.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarile View Post

I'm left handed by the way haha. And I will hope to have video this weekend sometime.. I can manage with the fade but its hard to work a draw because sometimes I cast the club over the top and double cross myself

 

Basically two or three reasons you would come over the top.  Turning too level on the backswing, can load the shaft too shallow and then has to get steep on the downswing or you don't have enough weight forward on the downswing.  Most players that come "over the top"  have very little or not enough weight forward at impact.  You would fix this by keeping the right knee flexed longer.  Assuming you keep you head steady and not getting the club too far in on the backswing, check out the weight forward, Key#2, drills in this thread.  If you are making too flat a shoulder turn and/or loading the shaft too flat on the backswing, then check out the Key#1 and Key#4 takeaway drills. http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread

post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Coach went out on the range with me today.. Turns out I was only a little over the top if anything.. I added an extra hinge in my wrists at the top of my backswing for some reason!?! 😳.. But anyways I kept the wrist a little firmer and was hittin the ball like normal again. Worked it both ways nicely today and shot a pretty nice 76. 4 over in 50 degree weather is pretty good for me 😃
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips