or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My swing (writeintherain)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My swing (writeintherain)

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

I've been Playing Golf for:​ 13 years

My current handicap index or average score is: ~8

My typical ball flight is: Push fade

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Recently I have had a lot of push fades that I would like to eliminate.  I used to have a big problem with casting and would hit lots of shots fat.  I have mostly fixed that I think but it still creeps back in every now and then.

 


 

Videos:

post #2 of 8

Recommend taking a look at this this thread http://thesandtrap.com/t/56069/good-golf-posture

 

Head and eyes are oriented too high, makes it harder to keep the head steady on the back swing.  Your head moves back and the hips are too shallow.  Then on the downswing, because the hips are too shallow, the right knee has to flex towards the ball so you can make contact.  So you're coming in a little under "plane" not transferring enough weight forward to be able to swing out to the right.  Resulting in push cuts.

 

So I'd recommend making the entire back "softer", again look at that thread for a lot more info.  Will allow you to turn the hips and shoulders "steeper", so you can keep the head steady, hit the ball more solid.

 

 

 

 

Kinda similar body type to Dustin Johnson?  Here's how he looks at similar positions, notice his eyes are down, upper back is softer, same with the right pic.

 

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 

That is a very helpful post on posture, thanks.  My head and upper back are definitely out of position and that is something I hadn't noticed at all.  Another concern I had with my swing is my right heel coming up very early.  Do you think that is something I need to fix?

post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 

Also can you explain what you mean when you say my hips are too shallow?

post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by writeintherain View Post

That is a very helpful post on posture, thanks.  My head and upper back are definitely out of position and that is something I hadn't noticed at all.  Another concern I had with my swing is my right heel coming up very early.  Do you think that is something I need to fix?

That's directly related to what Mike mentioned about your right knee kicking out towards the ball.  I know, because I have a similar problem.  Here's a video showing some guys "banking" the right foot instead of lifting that heel up off the ground early.  The first guy in the video is Mike (mvmac) c2_beer.gif

 

http://thesandtrap.com/t/55998/lifting-back-foot-on-the-downswing/0_30#post_683887

post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:

That's directly related to what Mike mentioned about your right knee kicking out towards the ball.  I know, because I have a similar problem.  Here's a video showing some guys "banking" the right foot instead of lifting that heel up off the ground early.  The first guy in the video is Mike (mvmac) c2_beer.gif

 

http://thesandtrap.com/t/55998/lifting-back-foot-on-the-downswing/0_30#post_683887

 

Thanks I'll try out that banking drill.  Did it help you?

post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by writeintherain View Post

 

Thanks I'll try out that banking drill.  Did it help you?

Yes, and here's another that helps with the same thing.  This one is ridiculously easy to implement, and frankly, is ingenious in its simplicity.  (You can't very well pick your right heel off the ground when your right toes are already off the ground ;))

 

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/30_30#post_807110

 

Oh, and I think that "shallow" is just another term for "flat."  So he's saying that your hips (and shoulders) turn too flat in the backswing.  His recommendations should help with steepening those angles.

 

Full disclosure:  I'm no swing expert, and am in fact a student of Mike's.  But I am fairly confident that is what he means, and I am also confident that if I am wrong, he will correct me. :)

post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Yes, and here's another that helps with the same thing.  This one is ridiculously easy to implement, and frankly, is ingenious in its simplicity.  (You can't very well pick your right heel off the ground when your right toes are already off the ground ;))

 

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/30_30#post_807110

 

Oh, and I think that "shallow" is just another term for "flat."  So he's saying that your hips (and shoulders) turn too flat in the backswing.  His recommendations should help with steepening those angles.

 

Full disclosure:  I'm no swing expert, and am in fact a student of Mike's.  But I am fairly confident that is what he means, and I am also confident that if I am wrong, he will correct me. :)

 

Yep GD is right on with what he's saying.  Yes shallow means flat, closer to turning parallel to the ground, generally like to see the shoulders turn about 90 degrees to the amount you're bent over at address.  I took a closer look at your swing and you make a compensation in an effort to do this.  To get the hips and shoulders to turn on an angle you move your head down towards the ball.  Problem is this creates another compensation where the head will have to move the other direction.  You do a pretty good job, you're an 8 handicap but I think a decent amount of your ball striking issues stem from your posture.  Weight is on the heels and you stand way too tall (both are tied together).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My swing (writeintherain)