or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › How do you divide you practice time between woods, irons, and wedges?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do you divide you practice time between woods, irons, and wedges? - Page 3

post #37 of 62

A TERRIBLE way to determine what you need to practice would be to simply see what clubs you hit the most on the golf course. 

 

For example lets say you hit a nice drive down a par 4 and you have 150 yards left.  Next you hit which ever club and miss the green on the left side.  From there you hit your approach shot to 12 feet and then 2 putt for bogey.  What was the reason you walked away from that hole with a bogey? 

 

IMO it was both of your approach shots, 1. you missed the green in regulation from 150 yards, 2. your pitch shot to 12 feet was not close enough because you can't "expect" to make the vast majority of your 12 foot putts. 

 

You did hit your putter twice on this hole, proving that is not a good way to determine how to allocate your time to which ever club  when practicing. 

post #38 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


Ok. For those of us who weren't there......spill! a3_biggrin.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


Sounds like a certain somebody had an LPGA moment. :-p

He's played a couple of rounds recently ... one posted about on here a couple of weeks ago in the "What'd you shoot today" thread and the other just relayed to me via text message ... where he finished with a decent score, yet with 37 putts.  On the last one he said that he missed 5 putts inside of 3 feet.  And since he's in the mood lately to come up with goofy nicknames b2_tongue.gif, I figure he deserves one as well.  Hence, "Mr. 37." :)

 

We're playing a match next weekend (him, me, Pakoh, Golfswine) and if he is still putting like that, he's gettin' taken to the woodshed!

post #39 of 62
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk golf View Post

A TERRIBLE way to determine what you need to practice would be to simply see what clubs you hit the most on the golf course. 

For example lets say you hit a nice drive down a par 4 and you have 150 yards left.  Next you hit which ever club and miss the green on the left side.  From there you hit your approach shot to 12 feet and then 2 putt for bogey.  What was the reason you walked away from that hole with a bogey? 

IMO it was both of your approach shots, 1. you missed the green in regulation from 150 yards, 2. your pitch shot to 12 feet was not close enough because you can't "expect" to make the vast majority of your 12 foot putts. 

You did hit your putter twice on this hole, proving that is not a good way to determine how to allocate your time to which ever club  when practicing. 

Here's my thinking in terms of importance: 1. Driver, 2. Wedges (100 yards in), 3/4. Irons and putting. My reasoning:

Say I have a 420 yard par 4. If I can put a drive 270-280 in the fairway, I now have 150-140 to the green, which depending on pin position is an 8i, 9i, or PW. Taking the worst cast scenario (hit it fat, thin, or miss way right or left) I'm well under 100 yards to the pin. If I can pitch well I can knock it close and leave a short par putt.

Now, assume I'm terrible or short off the tee and either slice it 210 into the woods, or 230 in the fairway. I'm now looking at best at hybrid straight in, being forced to shape a cut hybrid out of the right mess, or worst case I have to punch out and still have a 8i or 9i in.

My point is everything is easier if your long a d accurate of the tee
post #40 of 62
Well the greens I played are rock hard. Approach shots are not sticking. You can't assume you will be able to chip it close if you fat it thin it etc.

I believe its not the same for everyone. Identify your weakness and practice those shots but don't leave out good areas.
My driver is not my weakest link but it gets me in trouble at times. Having a friend at a driving range help see things you can't ....if they know the golf swing.
post #41 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

 

He's played a couple of rounds recently ... one posted about on here a couple of weeks ago in the "What'd you shoot today" thread and the other just relayed to me via text message ... where he finished with a decent score, yet with 37 putts.  On the last one he said that he missed 5 putts inside of 3 feet.  And since he's in the mood lately to come up with goofy nicknames b2_tongue.gif, I figure he deserves one as well.  Hence, "Mr. 37." :)

 

We're playing a match next weekend (him, me, Pakoh, Golfswine) and if he is still putting like that, he's gettin' taken to the woodshed!

 

37 putts?  Holy crap, that's a LOT of putts!   d4_w00t.gif

 

Now that you've blabbed though, I'm gonna have to put my $'s on Beach.  Karma........   a3_biggrin.gif

post #42 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundandFury View Post


Here's my thinking in terms of importance: 1. Driver, 2. Wedges (100 yards in), 3/4. Irons and putting. My reasoning:

Say I have a 420 yard par 4. If I can put a drive 270-280 in the fairway, I now have 150-140 to the green, which depending on pin position is an 8i, 9i, or PW. Taking the worst cast scenario (hit it fat, thin, or miss way right or left) I'm well under 100 yards to the pin. If I can pitch well I can knock it close and leave a short par putt.

Now, assume I'm terrible or short off the tee and either slice it 210 into the woods, or 230 in the fairway. I'm now looking at best at hybrid straight in, being forced to shape a cut hybrid out of the right mess, or worst case I have to punch out and still have a 8i or 9i in.

My point is everything is easier if your long a d accurate of the tee

 

No doubt that hitting the ball far enough and in play is important, for some that may come easy, for others not.  Allocate your practice time accordingly based upon that though.  Strengthen your weaknesses type of thing.

post #43 of 62

I probably spend 70% of my range time on irons (worst part of my game).  I usually hit 95 balls a day.  I warm up with 10-20 wedge shots, transition to irons, and then hit maybe 10-15 shots with my 3W and Dr.  

 

Driver and 3W are the best parts of my game, so I rarely practice with them at the range.  It feels like a waste of time.

post #44 of 62

First rev this was a total that added up to 145% of my range time..... f3_laugh.gif

 

revised:

 

short answer that maths out:

 

full swing 6i on up:  40%  (shot shape and stock swing)

SW/MW/LW pitching shots:  25% (really should do this more - real payoff is here)  20/30/40/50 yard carry shots, mostly SW using the bounce as noted elsewhere

Driver:  20% (it's different than the other full swing shots - deserves special attention)

full swing short irons:  15% (gotta hit the whole bag - just try to make sure they are reasonably straight and the yardage assumptions stay consistent)

 

I think what's distressing here is this is 75% full swing work and only 25% of 'touch' practice (i.e. wedgework and partial swing control)....I wonder if the mix shouldn't be more balanced to touch work

 

putting is another thing - tack that on top of it all

 

mix in all that other stuff on occasion (punch shots, odd lies, lofting/delofting, shaping, sand, etc etc etc)

 

We have a local very nice course that has all the range facilities you could ask for, range, chipping, sand, putting, etc etc.  And it's a day pass.  So this is a good idea to just go and hang out and do everything, pace yourself, have some drinks, bring friends......


Edited by rehmwa - 5/2/13 at 2:26pm
post #45 of 62

I do the same practice routine pretty much every time I go to the range.

 

I always start with the Sand Wedge.  I hit about 10 pitches, then move up to full swings for about 10 more balls.

 

I then hit probably 30 balls with a 7 Iron.

 

I then hit probably 30 balls with a Driver.

 

Then I cool down with the Sand Wedge again doing some more pitches and a few more chips with 20 or so balls left.

 

I find that if I can hit those 3 clubs consistently well then I can hit everything in my bag well and right now it's working pretty good for me.

post #46 of 62

I practice range like you would shooting jump shots . . . start easy with wedges working my way up to the driver then back down. Starting with easy wedges also builds my confidence so I keep the correct mindset.

 

Seems to be working, I just need to put in more time doing it.

post #47 of 62
Interesting site here...how to break 70 protourgolfcollege
Check out what they learned to get players better they got it broken down in a word Awesome
I don't know how to post the link on my cell phone check that site out for you people who are trying to get to tour level
post #48 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by noSnowman View Post

Interesting site here...how to break 70 protourgolfcollege.
Check out what they learned to get players better. they got it broken down. in a word: Awesome.

 

Sorry, but I couldn't resist anymore.

post #49 of 62
Well for those who won't go to the site they learned most player's pratice backwards...long game to much short game not enough.
100 yrds and in including putting needs 75% of your practice time!
post #50 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Do you finish all of your rounds with just 14 drives and 22 iron shots?  No penalties for OB, no water hazards, no missed greens, no bunkers, no chunked chip shots, no thinned irons, etc, etc, etc?

 

If so, then I completely agree.  You need to work on your putting.  However, I "speck" not.  I would wager a fair amount of money that you don't average 45 putts per round to get that 10 handicap. ;)

You would be correct sir. My current average is 1.9 putts per hole. Trying to get to 1.5 or so. That's 7.2 strokes a round if I didn't work on anything else. This is not to say I don't work on chipping, irons, woods and the driver. I'm just saying hittin' is for show and puttin' is for dough. I just feel I can get more back with the putter than a chip shot, but then again that's just me. Great question though. I guess I just didn't clarify myself. Thanks for the response! c2_beer.gif

post #51 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Na5carr3 View Post

You would be correct sir. My current average is 1.9 putts per hole. Trying to get to 1.5 or so. That's 7.2 strokes a round if I didn't work on anything else. This is not to say I don't work on chipping, irons, woods and the driver. I'm just saying hittin' is for show and puttin' is for dough. I just feel I can get more back with the putter than a chip shot, but then again that's just me. Great question though. I guess I just didn't clarify myself. Thanks for the response! c2_beer.gif

But, honestly, how much of the difference between 34 and 27 putts is actually made up of putting, and how much of it is made up from getting the approach shots/chip shots closer to the hole in the first place?

 

The only way I see to average 27 putts per round is to either a) strike the ball as well as the pros and consistently have 8' or less for your first putt ... or b) continue to miss most greens and chip fairly decently.

 

No matter how you slice it, that difference in putts isn't made up by practicing your putting. :)

post #52 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

But, honestly, how much of the difference between 34 and 27 putts is actually made up of putting, and how much of it is made up from getting the approach shots/chip shots closer to the hole in the first place?

 

The only way I see to average 27 putts per round is to either a) strike the ball as well as the pros and consistently have 8' or less for your first putt ... or b) continue to miss most greens and chip fairly decently.

 

No matter how you slice it, that difference in putts isn't made up by practicing your putting. :)

Sure it is. I'm that good on the approach. No, seriously, you make a good point. I just prefer to work on that more because I know that's MY weakness.

post #53 of 62

Not much for me to say here.  GD is my brother from another mother.

post #54 of 62

My best days in golf were when I spend most time practising putting. I hated it. The practise green near my home were bumpy and wet but I would just persevere and try to get the stroke right.

 

Interestingly, if I get my putting right, the rest of my game just fall in places. I cannot explain it but maybe it has to do with getting my rhythm right. I cannot be sure.

 

I also watched how the tour players spend their time before their designated tee off time and noticed that they spend most times putting or chipping. In the range, most times were spent on wedge. Strangely, they spend the least time on drivers and woods, perhaps only 2 or 3 shots at the end to cap the practise.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › How do you divide you practice time between woods, irons, and wedges?