or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

no distance?

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
how do i get distance from my PW?? it's 45* and the ball goes sky high. If i move it back, i blade the shot and the ball goes 125. from 100 in i'm a disaster. the ball goes high and straight, but i'm constantly chipping on. do i move my hands forward, sort of hood the club? 9 would be way too much. i can't do half swings because i shank the ball with wedges. it's all or nothing. thanks
post #2 of 23

Welcome to the forum.  I think you need to learn half wedges.  Saying you can't do it and moving on is not an option if you want to improve.  That has become a fun part of my game, hitting those odd distances.  Figure out a half swing you can repeat and then figure out how far it goes with your SW through 9 iron.  I expect 125 out of my PW with a nice smooth swing.  It is not a power swing it is a precision swing, easy and smooth.

 

By the way I am sure my half wedge is not really half but a lessor swing that I am comfortable with repeating.  I am now working on a 1/4 swing.  Once I dial in the distances (really expected distances :) ) I am going to put a small label on my wedges with those numbers as has been suggested here many times.

 

Good luck and enjoy the forum!

 

Bill

post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 
I PANIC ON HALF SWINGS ON THE COURSE. I CAN DO THEM ALL DAY LONG AT THE RANGE.TO ME, HALF SWING EQUALS SHANK. I'LL JUST PANIC. I TRIED OPENING MY STANCE A LITTLE, BUT THEN I PULL THE BALL.I CAN DO HALF SWINGS ALL DAY LONG, AS LONG AS THE SCORE DOESN'T COUNT. SO YOU'RE SAYING DO A HALF OF A NINE IRON? CAN I JUST CHOKE DOWN AND SWING AWAY?? I'M A 15, BUT ALL MY STROKES ARE 100 YARDS IN.
post #4 of 23

No need to yell. I say look at threads on here discussing "lag" of the golf club and work on better ball contact too. This is a bad time of year for the end of winter and consistency.

post #5 of 23
Thread Starter 
i tend to scoop the ball, not trap it. i probably need to concentrate on trapping the ball. i almost never have a divot when i hit my irons.
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveover View Post

i tend to scoop the ball, not trap it. i probably need to concentrate on trapping the ball. i almost never have a divot when i hit my irons.


There is no real trapping the ball. You sound like you flip the club so you have be super accurate to hit distance or you will hit fat or thin randomly. Work on lag.

post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveover View Post

i tend to scoop the ball, not trap it. i probably need to concentrate on trapping the ball. i almost never have a divot when i hit my irons.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

There is no real trapping the ball. You sound like you flip the club so you have be super accurate to hit distance or you will hit fat or thin randomly. Work on lag.

Yes, but that doesn't mean it can't be a good feel or visualization ... especially for a guy who doesn't take divots with his irons.

post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveover View Post

i tend to scoop the ball, not trap it. i probably need to concentrate on trapping the ball. i almost never have a divot when i hit my irons.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

There is no real trapping the ball. You sound like you flip the club so you have be super accurate to hit distance or you will hit fat or thin randomly. Work on lag.

Yes, but that doesn't mean it can't be a good feel or visualization ... especially for a guy who doesn't take divots with his irons.

 

Yes, but I am avoiding erroneous ideas for later.
 

post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveover View Post

how do i get distance from my PW?? it's 45* and the ball goes sky high. If i move it back, i blade the shot and the ball goes 125. from 100 in i'm a disaster. the ball goes high and straight, but i'm constantly chipping on. do i move my hands forward, sort of hood the club? 9 would be way too much. i can't do half swings because i shank the ball with wedges. it's all or nothing. thanks

 



Well from what you describe,

 

you do not maintain a flat left wrist at impact. For a wedge, ball position can range from middle of the stance to just slightly forward of middle. If your skying shots from there, your breaking your left wrist at impact, increasing loft. The bounce probably saves you a bit on fat shots, but i bet you hit some fat shots as well.

 

As for the shank, that's because you have an over the top swing.

post #10 of 23
Thread Starter 
I'll check the lag. I normally don't chunk the wedges. It's sky high or bladed. It would be nice if ranges had grass. Hard to practice on the course.
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

There is no real trapping the ball. You sound like you flip the club so you have be super accurate to hit distance or you will hit fat or thin randomly. Work on lag.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveover View Post

I'll check the lag. I normally don't chunk the wedges. It's sky high or bladed. It would be nice if ranges had grass. Hard to practice on the course.

OK, then, I'm guessing Valleygolfer is right.  If you have a club with bounce, like a wedge, it's really hard to chunk if you flip because you expose the bounce.  So, when it's sky high, is probably when you make "good" contact (timing your flip) and when you blade it, it's likely because you bottomed out too early or too late.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

As for the shank, that's because you have an over the top swing.

Why would that matter?  You hit the ball too close to the heel such that part of the ball actually hits the hosel.  Why would it matter if he's coming in over the top, too much from the inside, or perfectly on plane?

post #12 of 23

Note to Valley Golfer: i don't read your responses because the moving avatar you chose is terrifically annoying. I would suggest to Erik to ban such things. I avoid them like a plague.  However, others may prefer such silly stimulations.  And i don't care if it is Mr. Hogan, Mr. Woods or Ms. World Porn (2012).

post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelly View Post

Note to Valley Golfer: i don't read your responses because the moving avatar you chose is terrifically annoying. I would suggest to Erik to ban such things. I avoid them like a plague.  However, others may prefer such silly stimulations.  And i don't care if it is Mr. Hogan, Mr. Woods or Ms. World Porn (2012).

So I guess you won't read his then... I am sorry you let such trivial things rob you of my vast knowledge... f1_cool.gif

post #14 of 23
Create lag on the backswing and don't release your wrists until you feel like you are on top of the ball :)
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by james15697 View Post

Create lag on the backswing and don't release your wrists until you feel like you are on top of the ball :)

 

There is many ways to get distance. But calling it lag, or holding off a release is a wrong thing to say. Its better for that person to get a camera and view there swing and works out whats for them. Get them infront of a video camera and see what's going on. Only way to develop what works for them.

 

But if you want to get technical about distance, the only thing i see relative, especially when looking at the long hitters on the PGA tour.

 

1) the top 5-10 top long ball hitters are all tall. That is just genetics, can't change that. Dustin Johnson and Bubba Watson, all above 6'2". That's just a longer arc, and more power.

2) They all have equipment that a nearly perfect fit for there swing

3) They all hit the center of the clubface, constistantly

4) they all have big shoulder and hip turns, creating a ton of rotation speed, building that power from the base up. 

 

Cause if you say lag is the key to power, how about sergio versus Rory? Who has more lag, i would say sergio, the guy has absurd amount of lag. Who hits the ball farther? Rory, by about 20 yards. There both the same height and build. Just curious?

post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

There is many ways to get distance. But calling it lag, or holding off a release is a wrong thing to say. Its better for that person to get a camera and view there swing and works out whats for them. Get them infront of a video camera and see what's going on. Only way to develop what works for them.

But if you want to get technical about distance, the only thing i see relative, especially when looking at the long hitters on the PGA tour.

1) the top 5-10 top long ball hitters are all tall. That is just genetics, can't change that. Dustin Johnson and Bubba Watson, all above 6'2". That's just a longer arc, and more power.
2) They all have equipment that a nearly perfect fit for there swing
3) They all hit the center of the clubface, constistantly
4) they all have big shoulder and hip turns, creating a ton of rotation speed, building that power from the base up. 

Cause if you say lag is the key to power, how about sergio versus Rory? Who has more lag, i would say sergio, the guy has absurd amount of lag. Who hits the ball farther? Rory, by about 20 yards. There both the same height and build. Just curious?

DJ is 6'4" and he sure can get rotation.

post #17 of 23
Thread Starter 

I figured out my wedge problem. At address I have my hands forward of the ball. during take away i move my hands even with the ball and start the take away. the take away should be one motion not two. I concentrated on keeping the hands forward during the take away and i was getting good distance. I hit 4 greens in a row for 2 birds and 2 pars.

post #18 of 23
when looking for distance or max out a club, my 2 thoughts are fire the hips and keep my hands low.

works for me, might not be for everyone though
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips