or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › One spot in my bag
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

One spot in my bag

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Hello everyone I just joined the forum today.I am fairly new to golf only playing seriously for about a year. Being a 25 handicap I still have a lot to learn. I have one spot in my bag to fill. my options are a 60* wedge or a strong 3 wood. Here is what I am bagging now. Advice would be appreciated. By the way I am having trouble reaching the 210 yard par 3 with my 5 wood but driver is too long
Burner super fast driver
08 burner 5 wood. Love this club
Super launch 2.0 21* hybrid
R11 4-PW irons graphite
ATV wedge 50*
ATV wedge 56*

I also had a super fast 3 wood but I hit my 5 just as long
post #2 of 20

Most people will hit a 4w further than a 3w off the deck.  The loft is too low for most golfers. 

 

Do you struggle with any particular club in your bag?  Do you find that you need a softer touch around the green that a more lofted wedge would assist? 

 

don't feel you need to carry 14 clubs, sometimes having fewer clubs means fewer decisions on the course, which can actually lead to lower scores.

post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
I struggle with my driver from time to time and long irons of course. That is why I have the same loft hybrid as my 4 iron and I hit it a little further. I think I am leaning toward a 13* 3 wood for use only off the tee. 200 yard par 3 is the shot I always come up short on even with my old 15*. I struggle from deep grass from time to time around the green.
How much harder is it to hit a strong 3 off the tee compared to 5 wood
I am 240 with driver fairly straight but a slice sneaks in a couple times a round. A high wicked slice

Thanks
post #4 of 20
I second the motion for a "4 wood". A club with a 3/4 wood length shaft at about 16-18* It will become a go-to club for many things.
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
I have an 18* 5 wood that I love and works great just not long enough. Anyone have any experience with 07 burner tour spoon?
post #6 of 20

Personally, I would get rid of the hybrid, add a 3w and a 60*

 

For the shots in between the 4i and the 5w you can choke down an inch on the 5w and it will fill that gap.

post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Matt that's a very interesting thought. I will try to choke down on the five wood and see where that takes me.I have heard that the new TaylorMade three woods actually can hit longer then the tour spoon. Has anybody had any experience with this.?
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattplusness View Post

Personally, I would get rid of the hybrid, add a 3w and a 60*

 

For the shots in between the 4i and the 5w you can choke down an inch on the 5w and it will fill that gap.


Why in the world would a 25 handicap want to add to his troubles by bagging a 60* wedge?  Also, don't you think it would be easier to hit that hybrid than a 4iron?

 

Also to the OP, as said prior, don't feel like you need to have 14 clubs in the bag.  I didn't have 14 in the bag all last season, a couple times, I dropped to 12.  Just didn't need the extras.

 

It may help to check ALL THE LOFTS on your clubs to see exactly where your gaps are.  Sounds like your 4iron and hybrid have the same loft?

 

13* 3 woods are not easy to hit, at least it was not for me.  You may consider a higher lofted driver?  Maybe a 12* driver??

post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaBalata View Post


Why in the world would a 25 handicap want to add to his troubles by bagging a 60* wedge?  Also, don't you think it would be easier to hit that hybrid than a 4iron?

 

Also to the OP, as said prior, don't feel like you need to have 14 clubs in the bag.  I didn't have 14 in the bag all last season, a couple times, I dropped to 12.  Just didn't need the extras.

 

It may help to check ALL THE LOFTS on your clubs to see exactly where your gaps are.  Sounds like your 4iron and hybrid have the same loft?

 

13* 3 woods are not easy to hit, at least it was not for me.  You may consider a higher lofted driver?  Maybe a 12* driver??

I'm worse than a 25 handicap but I hit my 60* just fine, pitch or chip no problems whatsoever. Can't hit a driver for love or money but no issues with a 60*.

post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

I'm worse than a 25 handicap but I hit my 60* just fine, pitch or chip no problems whatsoever. Can't hit a driver for love or money but no issues with a 60*.


That certainly may be true in your case.  But generally speaking, for high HCappers, the high lofted wedges are very difficult to hit consistently.  I would certainly want to work up to a  60. . .I just wouldn't start there if I were a 25HC. 

post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaBalata View Post


That certainly may be true in your case.  But generally speaking, for high HCappers, the high lofted wedges are very difficult to hit consistently.  I would certainly want to work up to a  60. . .I just wouldn't start there if I were a 25HC. 

I believe the same thing.  I put a 60 degree in my bag this year because I had a 14th spot.  The reality is that I feel more comfortable with my sand wedge when I need to hit that type of shot, and find myself costing more strokes trying to get that perfect shot with the 60.

 

As a high handicapper, the secret is to not let perfect be the enemy of good.  If I can get it to within 6-8' 80% time where I have a chance to sink the putt, that is way better than hitting the 60 wedge where I have a 30% of being 4' away and the other 7/10 shots I am no closer than I was with my 56. 

post #12 of 20
I'm new here as well and also have a high handicap and find that I'm a lot more consistent on long par 3s to play a short iron to around 75-100 yards from the hole ( especially if water is inbetween me and the whole) I would not spend the money to get another club just for one hole. Course management has helped me considerably. I went from shooting ~115 to breaking 100 and getting close to 90 the last few times I have played.
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaBalata View Post


That certainly may be true in your case.  But generally speaking, for high HCappers, the high lofted wedges are very difficult to hit consistently.  I would certainly want to work up to a  60. . .I just wouldn't start there if I were a 25HC. 

I'm with you.

 

There are exceptions to every rule but most high handicappers are going to find that just about the time they think they have control of the 60 is just about the time they are going to find that under pressure that club is going to cost them more shots than it gains them. Nothing wrong with carrying one for those times when there is no other shot option but falling in love with it for otherwise "easy" shots is a recipe for a huge let down at just the wrong time.

 

I have doubts about the 13 degree 3 wood being a good choice either, especially since the OP could hit the 5W as far as his 3W. At a certain point there's just not enough club head speed for the lower loft to help and if 15 degrees didn't work I doubt if 13 degrees is the answer.

post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

I'm with you.

 

There are exceptions to every rule but most high handicappers are going to find that just about the time they think they have control of the 60 is just about the time they are going to find that under pressure that club is going to cost them more shots than it gains them. Nothing wrong with carrying one for those times when there is no other shot option but falling in love with it for otherwise "easy" shots is a recipe for a huge let down at just the wrong time.

 

I have doubts about the 13 degree 3 wood being a good choice either, especially since the OP could hit the 5W as far as his 3W. At a certain point there's just not enough club head speed for the lower loft to help and if 15 degrees didn't work I doubt if 13 degrees is the answer.

 

I am like you.  I am a high handicapper but I love my 60.  I use it often and have had good success with it.  It is certainly not the reason my HC is so high, and in fact, is a direct factor in the lowering of mine.  And the posts above indicate why these types of posts are only good for general suggestions.  What type of club this person needs is going to depend on his style of game and his comfort level hitting certain clubs. 

post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloverUT View Post

 

I am like you.  I am a high handicapper but I love my 60.  I use it often and have had good success with it.  It is certainly not the reason my HC is so high, and in fact, is a direct factor in the lowering of mine.  And the posts above indicate why these types of posts are only good for general suggestions.  What type of club this person needs is going to depend on his style of game and his comfort level hitting certain clubs. 

Hmmm...I'm wouldn't say I am a "high handicapper" (at least by my definition). I don't have a handicap at all but if I did it would float around between 4 and 6 most of the time.a3_biggrin.gif

post #16 of 20

move up 1 or 2 tees so you dont have torture your 25 handicap self with a 210y par 3. but i doubt you'll do that so i think u answered your own question. you hit the 3w the same as the 5w. i highly doubt if you hit 43' 15* club and a 42.5" 18*ish degree club the same that getting a 13* MAYBE 43.5" MAYBE still 43" club will be any different. GET THE 60* ATV

 

PS sell the 4i, at least, and probably the 5i. hybrids! check out Kuchar, Na, Furyk and a host of other pro "whats in the bags" and you'll c they mostly start their iron sets with 3 and 4i's....but a lot start with a 5i now. YE Yang starts with a 6i! THEY R REALLY GOOD. IF THEY START WITH A 3-4i....im probably not going to do it the same.

post #17 of 20
Dump the 5 wood. Who rocks a 5 wood anymore? Add a 3w and a lob wedge. That's what I would do anyways but since you love your 5w then just add the 3w to round it out.
post #18 of 20

The only club i carry with a stiff shaft is an old TM 5W and it works great for me. I often think it's the shaft but who knows? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › One spot in my bag