or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Bubba Watson Gets Involved in the Gay Professional Athlete Debate
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bubba Watson Gets Involved in the Gay Professional Athlete Debate - Page 7

post #109 of 120

Variety of thoughts on this -

 

First off, I couldn't give a damn who someone chooses to love & have sex with. It's a) None of my damn business, and b) I am in no place to judge anyone. I haven't perfected perfection.

 

Two, if someone has a religious belief & it helps them with their lives, awesome. I am happy for you as well.

 

But everyone has to understand - freedom OF religion also means freedom FROM religion. You are free to to express your faith in any way you see fit. But that also means everyone has the freedom to choose not to have any faith. That must cut both ways. If you cannot hang with that, then you are biased & thus cannot be objective. 

 

So anyway. Back to Collins & his proclamation. Here's what he deserves. Apathy. That's what he gets from me. I don't care. It's his life. I cannot & will not judge - I am in no position to do so.

 

As is, well, everyone. If how he lives his life causes anyone problems, just ask yourself - what's it to YOU? How is your life impacted at all by it?

 

If your angle is, your God doesn't approve, well, that's between Collins & your God. Still none of your business. Let your God handle it.

post #110 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

As is, well, everyone. If how he lives his life causes anyone problems, just ask yourself - what's it to YOU? How is your life impacted at all by it?

 

If your angle is, your God doesn't approve, well, that's between Collins & your God. Still none of your business. Let your God handle it.

I think the big fella is much more concerned about whether or not that receiver gets in the end zone.  And he must be quite pissed at Jerry Jones for the Cowboys to have such a crappy draft this year. 

 

When the anti-gay/marriage-for-heterosexuals-only movement to amend my state's constitution happened a few years back, one of their main arguments was that if men could marry men or women could marry women, it would "cheapen and weaken" the "sacred institution" of marriage.  Two points to that:  if whether or not another couple can refer to themselves as spouses or they have to call each other "partners" somehow cheapens and weakens someone's marriage, he/she has a cheap and weak marriage; two, how is an institution with a 50% failure rate "sacred?"

post #111 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisguy View Post

I think the big fella is much more concerned about whether or not that receiver gets in the end zone.  And he must be quite pissed at Jerry Jones for the Cowboys to have such a crappy draft this year. 

 

When the anti-gay/marriage-for-heterosexuals-only movement to amend my state's constitution happened a few years back, one of their main arguments was that if men could marry men or women could marry women, it would "cheapen and weaken" the "sacred institution" of marriage.  Two points to that:  if whether or not another couple can refer to themselves as spouses or they have to call each other "partners" somehow cheapens and weakens someone's marriage, he/she has a cheap and weak marriage; two, how is an institution with a 50% failure rate "sacred?"

 

The former Newsweek Writer Anna Quindlen had a great line about that -

 

"As for the notion that allowing gay men and lesbians to marry will destroy conventional marriage, I have found heterosexuals perfect willing to do that themselves."

post #112 of 120

Just ask Rush and Newt.  They have 7 between them.

post #113 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

Just ask Rush and Newt.  They have 7 between them.

 

They must be the experts, then!

post #114 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran123 View Post


The difference between believing in a sasquatch and believing in god, is that if you choose not to believe in the sasquatch - so be it, but if you choose not to believe in god, well, you can to straight to hell, do not pass go, do not collect $200

 

Therein lies the reason most people believe in god - fear.

 

What evidence do you have to back this up?  I certainly don't believe in God because I fear going straight to hell.     

post #115 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloverUT View Post

 

What evidence do you have to back this up?  I certainly don't believe in God because I fear going straight to hell.     

 

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/God-fearing

 

It just happens to be synonymous with "deeply religious."  You may not be one of them, but let's not pretend there aren't many, many people that are.

post #116 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

 

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/God-fearing

 

It just happens to be synonymous with "deeply religious."  You may not be one of them, but let's not pretend there aren't many, many people that are.

 

Not to take on Slover's argument, but there's likely a difference between fearing God and fearing going to hell. 

 

Having said that, I do think many people "believe" so they don't burn in hell for eternity, or that religion is a control mechanism for people's behavior.

post #117 of 120

Reminds me of an Irish saying:

 

In life, there are only two things to worry about,

Either you are healthy or you are sick.

If you are healthy, then there is nothing to worry about.

But if you are sick, there are only two things to worry about,

Either you will get well or you will die.

If you get well, there is nothing to worry about.

But if you die, there are only two things to worry about,

Either you will go to Heaven or go to Hell.

If you go to Heaven, there is nothing to worry about.

If you go to Hell, you will be so busy shaking hands with all your friends,

You will not have time to worry.

post #118 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

 

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/God-fearing

 

It just happens to be synonymous with "deeply religious."  You may not be one of them, but let's not pretend there aren't many, many people that are.


LOL. A random website comparing phrases, and you cite them.

 

How many religion threads do we need on the sandtrap? And the head admin allows them to continue in the completely wrong sections. I guess I know where he stands on it.

post #119 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsalmela80 View Post


LOL. A random website comparing phrases, and you cite them.

 

 

There's nothing random about the website, other than it's one of about 20 that I decided to cite after a google search.  It's a simple illustration of a point that, if you don't get it, it wouldn't surprise me.  The reference doesn't prove anything, and wasn't intended to.  But of course some people don't bother with silly things like "proof" anyway a2_wink.gif.

post #120 of 120

Definition of GOD-FEARING

: having a reverent feeling toward God : devout
 
This is from Merrion Webster, a real dictionary.
 
But thanks for your skewed attempted definition.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Bubba Watson Gets Involved in the Gay Professional Athlete Debate