or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Bubba Watson Gets Involved in the Gay Professional Athlete Debate
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bubba Watson Gets Involved in the Gay Professional Athlete Debate - Page 2

post #19 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

But he doesn't. Before the election when gay marriage was in the news everyday and before his Masters attention faded he was asked about it on camera. I remember it because I was surprised by his response. I can't remember exactly what he said but it was along the lines of he's okay with whatever if two people love each other. It's probably on youtube, if not there's a shit-ton of clips of him wooing Ellen. I'd wager before the end of day tomorrow he'll say something about it. Even what Chris said is somewhat vague. The media is twisting this and people are taking the bait.

I wouldn't say that what Chris said is vague at all.  If you didn't have strong feelings about it one way or another, then you wouldn't say anything at all.  If you are in the public eye, and you are going to speak up, then the context of what you say and when you say it is equally as important, if not more, than what you actually say.  Especially if it's a tweet, because that means nobody's even putting you on the spot and asking you a question.  You are just volunteering the info.

 

I'm on the fence about Bubba's tweet though, not sure what he meant (especially in light of the info you provided).

post #20 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I wouldn't say that what Chris said is vague at all.  If you didn't have strong feelings about it one way or another, then you wouldn't say anything at all. 

Maybe, especially if we consider that in order to make his point he brought premarital sex into it. He likely hasn't gone on record about that. Surely some single people that are getting busy were offended?

post #21 of 120

When I see threads like this, I'm just happy that I don't do Twitter.  What an immense waste of time. g1_wacko.gif

post #22 of 120
I would like to answer a question on this topic I hear quite often. "Why do you care, what does it bother you if others are gay?"

I do not want to start a fight or cause offense (I will try to make this my only post in this thread), but I would only like to offer a differing view point.

My personal beliefs fall in line with Broussards. I believe the homosexual lifestyle is openly disobeying gods will.

I do believe that gay people are born that way, but I still consider it a sin. Similar to someone born with a tendency to steal, lie, etc.. This is something I believe the individual needs to fight against instead of succumbing to the temptation.

Now you ask "ok I can respect your beliefs, but how does it make a difference in your life? Why do you care?"
If someone close to me is born with the tendency to be gay, and society nurtures it and oks it(like it has recently), there is a much better chance my loved one will find it harder to fight against this temptation.

Again, I don't mean to cause offense, and I apologize ahead of time if I have. Just wanted to share a different view point, so others can see how some might feel.
post #23 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Martin View Post

Bubba Watson tweets support of Chris Broussard

 

Thanks @Chris_Broussard for sharing your faith & the bible!! #GodIsGood

 

Does he not like gay athletes in his midst?

 

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/04/bubba-watson-tweets-support-of-chris-broussard/

 

 

 

Were did it say Bubba didn't like gays? Show me, tell me when Bubba said this? Or are you just assuming something because you assume because he's christian he must hate gays. My mom is a devote catholic, and she knows gays, and doesn't hate them. She doesn't agree with there lifestyle, but she doesn't hate them. To me, your just a prototypical binary thinker. Yes, no, black, white, wrong, right, you don't understand that the world is many shades of gray. You assume things because your mind can't get past the fact Bubba supported somone's opinion that Homosexuality is a sin. Instead of thinking that Bubba is just approving it because he is to, Christian, you decided to label Bubba hateful. Your exactly the person political america wants voting, your only a single layer deep thinker, SHALLOW. 

 

Oh, and Bubba is allowed to his opinion and beliefs. Just like everyone else. Just because Christianity for the most part, doesn't allow homosexuality, then that is fine. Christians and gays have the right to live what ever lifestyle they want. Bubba's not spouting hateful words, he's giving a shout out to Chris Broussard for showing his faith in what he believes. It was just a friendly slap on the back, "Hey man, preach on". Chris Broussard didn't say anything hateful as well. He believes homosexuality is a sin, that is fine, that's not hateful. We all sin, or do wrong, is homosexuality wrong, depends on what you believe. I am sure if someone like Chris Broussard would come out and be religious and post something on Tiger's Adultry, Bubba might have gave Chris a thumbs up for it.

post #24 of 120

so if you isolate broussard's comments like the link in the op does, it doesn't yield the same flavor as the quote does in context. 

 

here is a link to the quote in a more fuller context... (watch the video).

 

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-chris-broussard-jason-collins-20130430,0,4496676.story

 

With a fuller context in mind, I can't possibly interpret Bubba's tweet as anything other than commending a member of his faith for speaking boldly on a controversial topic. In a day where the only sin is to say that something is sinful, it could be viewed that Broussard was courageous in a way similar (but not equal in magnitude) to Collins. 

 

What i don't understand (and its not clear from the video) is what Christianity has to do with Collins' comment in the first place. Unless Collins' announcement was an attempt to come out as an openly gay christian athlete, then for Broussard to associate Collins to a standard of a faith he doesn't acknowledge seems a little out of place. But that has nothing to do with Bubba's tweet IMO.

 

Last thought... there's been far more contempt demonstrated toward those embracing the christian faith, in this thread alone, than what can be detected from Broussard's words or Bubba's tweet. 

post #25 of 120

Oops, I am sorry, I was looking for a golf blog and must have come to the wrong place.

post #26 of 120
I don't care who is gay and who isn't. I don't watch basketball, don't care what Bubba Watson thinks about anything outside of golf and DEFINITELY do not read tweets.

It's good to be me.
post #27 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post

My personal beliefs fall in line with Broussards. I believe the homosexual lifestyle is openly disobeying gods will.

I have, shall we politely say, a differing opinion. ;)  However this part of your post in particular REALLY doesn't compute with me.  Let's assume for the sake of this argument that you are Christian.  If you are referring to only gay people who claim to be Christian, then fine.  Totally disagree, but whatever, that is fine.  Your opinion is logical.  (Wrong, but logical) ;)

 

But you didn't say that.  You generalized gays, implying ALL gays, which in turn means Jewish gays, Muslim gays, Atheist gays, Agnostic gays, Buddhist gays, etc, etc, etc, you get my point.  And I think you know where I am going with this?  Why should anybody else (non Christians), gay or otherwise, care what YOUR God thinks?

 

Reminds me of a woman I used to work with.  She had a license plate on her car that said (in shorthand obviously) "I love our God."  I didn't care much for her anyway, because she was not a nice person, and a horrible employee, so that definitely added to the disdain.  But, regardless, every time I saw that license plate, I wanted to punch that lady in the face.  Who the f**k are you to tell me who MY god is??

 

And, breathe .... OK, sorry, rant over.  (It's your fault for reminding me of that lady!) ;)

post #28 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

 

Were did it say Bubba didn't like gays? Show me, tell me when Bubba said this? Or are you just assuming something because you assume because he's christian he must hate gays. My mom is a devote catholic, and she knows gays, and doesn't hate them. She doesn't agree with there lifestyle, but she doesn't hate them. To me, your just a prototypical binary thinker. Yes, no, black, white, wrong, right, you don't understand that the world is many shades of gray. You assume things because your mind can't get past the fact Bubba supported somone's opinion that Homosexuality is a sin. Instead of thinking that Bubba is just approving it because he is to, Christian, you decided to label Bubba hateful. Your exactly the person political america wants voting, your only a single layer deep thinker, SHALLOW. 

 

Oh, and Bubba is allowed to his opinion and beliefs. Just like everyone else. Just because Christianity for the most part, doesn't allow homosexuality, then that is fine. Christians and gays have the right to live what ever lifestyle they want. Bubba's not spouting hateful words, he's giving a shout out to Chris Broussard for showing his faith in what he believes. It was just a friendly slap on the back, "Hey man, preach on". Chris Broussard didn't say anything hateful as well. He believes homosexuality is a sin, that is fine, that's not hateful. We all sin, or do wrong, is homosexuality wrong, depends on what you believe. I am sure if someone like Chris Broussard would come out and be religious and post something on Tiger's Adultry, Bubba might have gave Chris a thumbs up for it.

But, aren't you doing the same thing you're condemning Rick for here?  All it looks like Rick did was ponder whether or not Bubba likes "gay athletes in his midst."  Where does that say he thinks Bubba hates anything?  You're assuming on RIck just as much or more as you think he's assuming on Bubba, no?

post #29 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post

I would like to answer a question on this topic I hear quite often. "Why do you care, what does it bother you if others are gay?"

I do not want to start a fight or cause offense (I will try to make this my only post in this thread), but I would only like to offer a differing view point.

My personal beliefs fall in line with Broussards. I believe the homosexual lifestyle is openly disobeying gods will.

I do believe that gay people are born that way, but I still consider it a sin. Similar to someone born with a tendency to steal, lie, etc.. This is something I believe the individual needs to fight against instead of succumbing to the temptation.

Now you ask "ok I can respect your beliefs, but how does it make a difference in your life? Why do you care?"
If someone close to me is born with the tendency to be gay, and society nurtures it and oks it(like it has recently), there is a much better chance my loved one will find it harder to fight against this temptation.

Again, I don't mean to cause offense, and I apologize ahead of time if I have. Just wanted to share a different view point, so others can see how some might feel.

I'm genuinely trying to summarize your sentiments here. Your beliefs are such that you do not like openly gay people because you believe that if that becomes acceptable, people who are close to might also become openly gay? Do I have that correct?
post #30 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post

I would like to answer a question on this topic I hear quite often. "Why do you care, what does it bother you if others are gay?"

I do not want to start a fight or cause offense (I will try to make this my only post in this thread), but I would only like to offer a differing view point.

My personal beliefs fall in line with Broussards. I believe the homosexual lifestyle is openly disobeying gods will.

I do believe that gay people are born that way, but I still consider it a sin. Similar to someone born with a tendency to steal, lie, etc.. This is something I believe the individual needs to fight against instead of succumbing to the temptation.

Now you ask "ok I can respect your beliefs, but how does it make a difference in your life? Why do you care?"
If someone close to me is born with the tendency to be gay, and society nurtures it and oks it(like it has recently), there is a much better chance my loved one will find it harder to fight against this temptation.

Again, I don't mean to cause offense, and I apologize ahead of time if I have. Just wanted to share a different view point, so others can see how some might feel.

Some points:

 

1)  "God is an invisible friend for adults."  - Morgan Freeman, The Big Bounce.  Prove this statement is wrong.  What's that?  You can't do it, can you?

 

2)  "fight against this temptation"???  You seem to be rather ignorant  of how human sexuality works.  It's a matter of preference for most people - they simple do or don't find one gender attractive.  You think it's better for someone to live a lie - spend half their waking life or more trying to suppress who they genuinely are for the sake of irrational hate-filled dogma spewed by some primitive Bronze Age demagogue thousands of years ago?  Does that really make sense to you?    But since you speak of temptation, I suspect that this is a temptation that you yourself must feel.  I strongly believe that most outspoken homophobes are actually trying to suppress the guilt they feel about their own inclinations.  The biggest homophobe I knew in college, a self-proclaimed righteous Christian, came out of the closet in grad school.

 

3)  Premarital sex is a sin, same as homosexuality.  But premarital sex is a sin that the overwhelming majority of people in our society commit - I'd guess maybe 1-in-8 or an even lower percentage of those who live in America (and probably most other Western cultures) end up virgins on their wedding night.  Yet I don't see you or any other religious homophobe complaining about all those Damn Fornicators!  Certainly the majority of all religious homophobes themselves engaged in premarital sex.   I'd say this is rather extreme hypocrisy.

post #31 of 120
People can have their religion, but don't push it onto others and judge them based on stuff you find in the bible. There are a lot of things in the bible that are conveniently ignored.
post #32 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post

People can have their religion, but don't push it onto others and judge them based on stuff you find in the bible. There are a lot of things in the bible that are conveniently ignored.
You mean things like how you aren't supposed to judge people?
post #33 of 120

I find it funny that a lot of you are commenting on how it's wrong for Bubba to "judge" gays, but you are judging Bubba for agreeing with Chris.  Ironic much?

 

As a side note, I don't think Bubba's tweet was meant to judge Jason Collins.

post #34 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post

People can have their religion, but don't push it onto others and judge them based on stuff you find in the bible. There are a lot of things in the bible that are conveniently ignored.

 

Out of curiosity, what is ignored?

post #35 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran123 View Post

Hes a hardcore Bible thumper - of course he supports anything anti gay. He has to live by the bibles opinion, not his own regardless of what he really thinks


^This.  Bubba is just another sheep who is blindly following the bible instead of thinking for himself.

post #36 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonbolt View Post

I find it funny that a lot of you are commenting on how it's wrong for Bubba to "judge" gays, but you are judging Bubba for agreeing with Chris.  Ironic much?

 

As a side note, I don't think Bubba's tweet was meant to judge Jason Collins.

 

 

this is the only point I take from religious arguments. 

 

People judge Christians for expressing their beliefs by saying that the Christian is judging others.  Pot, meet Kettle.

 

Christians are supposed to "accept" gay people but Christians are then condemned for their beliefs.  Wheres the turn-about?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Bubba Watson Gets Involved in the Gay Professional Athlete Debate