or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Big Break Mexico
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Big Break Mexico - Page 13

post #217 of 277

What's so bad is that Taylor's kunt was the worst golfer in the final four and because of the ladies tee she's the winner.

post #218 of 277

Are you nine years old or something?

post #219 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post

Are you nine years old or something?

 

No kidding. I really regret defending this guy earlier. That's what I get for giving people the benefit of the doubt.

post #220 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post

Are you nine years old or something?
Jet, in case you're wondering why it now looks like you double posted, I flagged the last one as offensive so the mods can have a look see. (I'm pretty tolerant but "c" words -no matter the spelling - don't fly with me)
post #221 of 277
Was a pretty good finale. Prizes were nice! Excited for next season!
post #222 of 277

I'm all for light hearted trolling, but this guy's just dumb, and most likely a virgin which is where his hatred for women stems from. You guys would be upset if nobody would sleep with you, too.

post #223 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

I'm all for light hearted trolling, but this guy's just dumb, and most likely a virgin which is where his hatred for women stems from. You guys would be upset if nobody would sleep with you, too.


 

this ^

 

 

Last Break Episode 10 is up also.  Final winner there too.  Something like $7500 on the line, or $8000, depending on if you are reading or listening to the commentary.

post #224 of 277
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Congrats to the "lucky" lady.  I may have overlooked her mettle a bit in not considering her one of the best golfers there, but she was pretty clutch all season (of the show) long, even when not playing particularly great (she dropped a couple big putts on Brent) and a big chip-in earlier in the season.

 
Finale wasn't great golf, and I still think one of the two tall guys may have been the best player(s) there, but she won fair and square.  Well, I guess fair and square at least in my opinion.

 

post #225 of 277
Response to Brandon (Click to show)

 

I seem to vaguely remember that if you quote a spoiler it becomes, well, "spoiled," so that's why I did it this way. ;)

 

Totally agree on the "not great golf" aspect ... expecially in comparison to last season.  Pretty sure those guys both shot something like 67/68, and by my calculations, last night they shot something like 74/76.  (Depending on a couple of assumptions made during the holes they skimmed over, it could have been 73/75, or even 75/77)

 

Also, in regards to the earlier discussion (led by dipwad) about distance ... did you see that Taylor was only outdriven by Matt on the first hole by 12 yards?

 

Overall, though, it was a pretty entertaining show.  Looking forward to the next season!

 

post #226 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacm3bill View Post

 

That's true of course, but I think you know what I mean... If it had been all male contestants, you might think the best golfers were out early but the eventual winner could still proudly say they outlasted all the others in a series of fair fights. (Similar to many other single elimination tournaments like NCAA basketball - the best team might not make it all the way if they have one bad game, but the overall winner is still considered the winner.)  If a female contestant wins on BB though, who knows if maybe she would've lost, or been eliminated a long time ago, if the arbitrary length advantage the women were given had been 5 (or 10 or 20 or whatever) yards less on every hole. I'm just saying that because of that, there will be an asterisk next to the win in a lot of people's minds.

 

 

Not that you're wrong on principle (because you make some fair points), but the flaw in that logic (that the women benefited from an arbitrary length advantage) is that the women were by and large eliminated very quickly this season.  Taylor was the last female standing by a long shot, I believe with 4 men left.  Considering the elimination challenges were full-length holes of stroke play (far more so than other seasons, at least IIRC), the length advantage should have given the women more opportunities to advance.  However, even the strong ones (the blonde & Stephanie from the same team) lost in their elimination matches.

post #227 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacm3bill View Post

 

That's true of course, but I think you know what I mean... If it had been all male contestants, you might think the best golfers were out early but the eventual winner could still proudly say they outlasted all the others in a series of fair fights. (Similar to many other single elimination tournaments like NCAA basketball - the best team might not make it all the way if they have one bad game, but the overall winner is still considered the winner.)  If a female contestant wins on BB though, who knows if maybe she would've lost, or been eliminated a long time ago, if the arbitrary length advantage the women were given had been 5 (or 10 or 20 or whatever) yards less on every hole. I'm just saying that because of that, there will be an asterisk next to the win in a lot of people's minds.

 

 

Not that you're wrong on principle (because you make some fair points), but the flaw in that logic (that the women benefited from an arbitrary length advantage) is that the women were by and large eliminated very quickly this season.  Taylor was the last female standing by a long shot, I believe with 4 men left.  Considering the elimination challenges were full-length holes of stroke play (far more so than other seasons, at least IIRC), the length advantage should have given the women more opportunities to advance.  However, even the strong ones (the blonde & Stephanie from the same team) lost in their elimination matches.

 

Indeed, in fact if the man had won you could say there was an asterisk next to his name if you felt the women's tees had not been moved *up* enough.

 

My main point though is that you can never know for sure that you've properly equalized men and women, so I'd prefer if they didn't try. (By using two-person male/female teams, for example.) 

post #228 of 277

Taylor wins.

 

You people are way, way too weird about your spoilers. Geez.

 

If you don't want to know who wins, scan the LEFT hand column and don't look to the right of the row with "Big Break Mexico" in it.

post #229 of 277

The guy posted that at 10:01 PM eastern. Hence, the necessary spoiler. I was looking out for the others. 

post #230 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacm3bill View Post

 

My main point though is that you can never know for sure that you've properly equalized men and women

 

Agreed.  In fact, I can't remember which episode it was, but somebody had the option of choosing their elimination round opponent.  I remember specifically saying to myself that he should NOT pick Stephanie, or some other girl who was up for elimination, because she is longer off the tee relative to the other women.  Instead I suggested that he should have picked some guy, who was shorter off the tee relative to the other men.

 

My point is, it illustrates that even if you take a good average distance variance between the men and women, there will still be advantages/disadvantages in play if a man/woman is shorter/longer off the tee relative to their peers, which then negates the use of the "average" variance.  So, for example, if Brent is the longest male and so-and-so is the shortest female, she still may be at a significant disadvantage off the tee even with the length handicap, and Stephanie vs Matt may be the polar opposite.

 

Anyway, it's imperfect when trying to equalize men vs women.  Did anybody notice that they said "we'll be playing from the tournament tees for this match," but they didn't really state what that meant for Taylor?  For the guys, you assume it moves them back to the tips.  For the women, is that like the middle tees or what?  On one hole I believe she had like a 70 yard advantage (373 par 4 for her, 440 par 4 for him).

post #231 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post

The guy posted that at 10:01 PM eastern. Hence, the necessary spoiler. I was looking out for the others. 
Good man!

I avoided the entire forum at work so I wouldn't know who won. Got home at 5 am and watched episode on the DVR before hittin the sack.
post #232 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post

The guy posted that at 10:01 PM eastern. Hence, the necessary spoiler. I was looking out for the others. 

 

Meh, whatever. If you live in CA, the same thing I just said applies. Don't go online and look at the "text of last post" column in a row with "Big Break Mexico" as the thread title.

 

And I feel I was clearly responding to the posts today which included their entire text in a spoiler tag.

 

I'm not going to go out of my way to avoid a spoiler for something as trivial as a reality TV game show. Or much of anything, for that matter, including movies. Heck half the time I read ahead to see what's happening in TV shows (like Game of Thrones, or Breaking Bad) so I can appreciate even better the build-up or the meticulous plot twists that lead to it. If the movie's good enough, or the show's good enough, it's worth watching twice, and the second time around you obviously know what's going to happen.

 

Sometimes I look at the score of a game to know how much attention to give it when I watch it on my DVR.

 

Saturday gets it. :)

post #233 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

 On one hole I believe she had like a 70 yard advantage (373 par 4 for her, 440 par 4 for him).

 

Yea, that really took away from the whole thing for me. As douchey as that guy with the new yellow stain under his name is, he has a point about these yardages. 

 

But in the end, it's not so much about being fair, I guess. I will say though that it wouldn't surprise me if the women's tees were less than 6000 total yards. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post

The guy posted that at 10:01 PM eastern. Hence, the necessary spoiler. I was looking out for the others. 

 

Meh, whatever. If you live in CA, the same thing I just said applies. Don't go online and look at the "text of last post" column in a row with "Big Break Mexico" as the thread title.

 

And I feel I was clearly responding to the posts today which included their entire text in a spoiler tag.

 

I'm not going to go out of my way to avoid a spoiler for something as trivial as a reality TV game show. Or much of anything, for that matter, including movies. Heck half the time I read ahead to see what's happening in TV shows (like Game of Thrones, or Breaking Bad) so I can appreciate even better the build-up or the meticulous plot twists that lead to it. If the movie's good enough, or the show's good enough, it's worth watching twice, and the second time around you obviously know what's going to happen.

 

Sometimes I look at the score of a game to know how much attention to give it when I watch it on my DVR.

 

Saturday gets it. :)

 

 

Haha, no worries, Erik. Yea, I guess on a finale, the statute of limitations has run out already on spoilers. Still, I respect Brandon and Golfingdad for still entering it in spoilers anyway. I do scan the left, but sometimes, hey, one's eyes can mistakenly wander. 

post #234 of 277

When talking about women competing against the men, you forgot to mention Danica Patrick, who won an Indycar race in 2008 and is now competing in NASCAR.

 

 

Overall, the match was pretty good. I'm glad at least it was competitive and nobody won in a dominating fashion (like one Big Break season, where the winner won 5 & 4).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Big Break Mexico