or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Objections to Derek Ernst thanking God after his win?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Objections to Derek Ernst thanking God after his win? - Page 11

post #181 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I agree with you though.  Dude's giving a few thanks to some people he feels deserve it.  So what?  How much do most guys wives really help with their golf swing?  Yet, nobody is going to bat an eye if/when they thank them.

 

Actual

 

Ace.

 

+ve rep from me for the analogy of the year. And freaking funny to boot as well.

post #182 of 201

Awesome, thread about religion. Wonder if there will be a mutual understanding at the end of this thread....

And about Ernst referring to God, seriously who gives two hoots? If anyone honestly cares, they need to get a life. Wonder if Steven Seagal fans would be upset if he thanked Chuck Norris...

post #183 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I believe this belongs in the "backhanded compliment" hall of fame. ;)  I realize it's not actually a compliment, but simultaneously defending the guy and making fun of his religion fits in there somewhere. :)

 

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,"

post #184 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturday View Post

Awesome, thread about religion. Wonder if there will be a mutual understanding at the end of this thread....

And about Ernst referring to God, seriously who gives two hoots? If anyone honestly cares, they need to get a life. Wonder if Steven Seagal fans would be upset if he thanked Chuck Norris...

 

No. Chuck Norris is a real and powerful human being. There would be nothing wrong with thanking the bringer of death, least he tear your throat out with his beard. You better respect....

post #185 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApocG10 View Post

 

No. Chuck Norris is a real and powerful human being. There would be nothing wrong with thanking the bringer of death, least he tear your throat out with his beard. You better respect....

Hahaha, awesome. He also doesn't sleep, he waits.

post #186 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApocG10 View Post

 

No. Chuck Norris is a real and powerful human being. There would be nothing wrong with thanking the bringer of death, least he tear your throat out with his beard. You better respect....

 

While Segal is a fake human being? If you meant that, I'd tend to agree with you. We need to open up a thread on Chuck Norris, Jean Claude Van Damme and Stevie Segal. In the appropriate forum of course.
post #187 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsknicks1 View Post

I've always found this "Proselytzing" (sp) argument to be fairly ridiculous. The definition of the word is to induce or recruit others to join your faith. Exactly how does somebody thanking God equate to that? He never said "I want to thank God and ask everybody listening to join my faith"

Proselytizing is precisely what he is doing, otherwise the thanks would be given privately. Ernst spruiks his membership of the FCA - the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, (including on the PGA website) the mission of which is " spread the word of God through athletics." To suggest that his purpose in thanking God as his first post victory utterance with the cameras rolling was not to recruit others is just niave.

Views can reasonably differ as to whether that is a legitimate use of golf's big stage, and I join with many who have expressed the view that it is inappropriate, but even if you re untroubled by it, you should at least acknowledge that it is done for recuitment purposes, and not pretend otherwise.
post #188 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheners View Post

Proselytizing is precisely what he is doing, otherwise the thanks would be given privately. Ernst spruiks his membership of the FCA - the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, (including on the PGA website) the mission of which is " spread the word of God through athletics." To suggest that his purpose in thanking God as his first post victory utterance with the cameras rolling was not to recruit others is just niave.

Views can reasonably differ as to whether that is a legitimate use of golf's big stage, and I join with many who have expressed the view that it is inappropriate, but even if you re untroubled by it, you should at least acknowledge that it is done for recuitment purposes, and not pretend otherwise.
Naive? You're reading things into what he's saying that aren't there. The definition of Proselytzing is pretty clear cut and him saying "First I want to thank God" does not even come close.
post #189 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheners View Post


Proselytizing is precisely what he is doing, otherwise the thanks would be given privately. Ernst spruiks his membership of the FCA - the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, (including on the PGA website) the mission of which is " spread the word of God through athletics." To suggest that his purpose in thanking God as his first post victory utterance with the cameras rolling was not to recruit others is just niave.

Views can reasonably differ as to whether that is a legitimate use of golf's big stage, and I join with many who have expressed the view that it is inappropriate, but even if you re untroubled by it, you should at least acknowledge that it is done for recuitment purposes, and not pretend otherwise.


You are nuttier than a jar of peanut butter.

post #190 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApocG10 View Post


You are nuttier than a jar of peanut butter.

Withering riposte.
post #191 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp33 man View Post

Just curious if the same people that railroaded Kevin Streelman for thanking God are pissed about Derek's comment as well? Maybe a growing trend in golf? Maybe more believers are winning?

 Not a big deal in my opinion, if he's a True Christian and proud of it, the more to him. Takes guts............

post #192 of 201

If God had any influence, don't think he'd have selected the 2013 winner of the Players' Championship.

 

I'm just saying.....

post #193 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Martin View Post

If God had any influence, don't think he'd have selected the 2013 winner of the Players' Championship.

I'm just saying.....
Oh please! You're hatred for all things Tiger knows no bounds does it?
post #194 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsknicks1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Martin View Post

If God had any influence, don't think he'd have selected the 2013 winner of the Players' Championship.

I'm just saying.....
Oh please! You're hatred for all things Tiger knows no bounds does it?

obviously you've got me confused with someone else

post #195 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsknicks1 View Post


Oh please! You're hatred for all things Tiger knows no bounds does it?

 

No, but apparently Buddha is more powerful than Jesus' dad.

post #196 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Martin View Post

obviously you've got me confused with someone else
Do I? My bad and apologies.
post #197 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheners View Post


Withering riposte.

 

 

Aparently you dont know what a riposte is, just like you don't know what proselytizing  is.

post #198 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Martin View Post

If God had any influence, don't think he'd have selected the 2013 winner of the Players' Championship.

 

I'm just saying.....

 

d2_doh.gifd2_doh.gifd2_doh.gifd2_doh.gifd2_doh.gifd2_doh.gifd2_doh.gifd2_doh.gifd2_doh.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Objections to Derek Ernst thanking God after his win?