or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › If Golf is a Global Game, Why All the Flags for Players?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If Golf is a Global Game, Why All the Flags for Players?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

I saw an opening scene to the Players where they inscribe the player's name, flag of his Country, and Name of his Country.

 

That's a lot of emphasis on Country.

 

I know we have the Ryder, President's, et al Cups, but why does the Tour promote differences among players and their Countries? Doesn't this divide rather than unite? And is it not one Tour of Professional Players?

 

I don't think weekly PGA Tournaments have a competition among Countries. Is it fun? Something they do without thinking?

 

Why?

 

Inquiring minds want to ... or maybe they don't want to know.

post #2 of 25

I assume the flags are there to show us that it's a global game.  They're informative.

 

The TV guys also really like to play up the "no American has won this event in x amount of years" or "only 2 international players have won this event since 1987" angles, and those flags allow us to follow along with that drama easily enough.

 

Thirdly, it's a fun game to play to try and guess the country of some of the lesser known flags. :)

post #3 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I assume the flags are there to show us that it's a global game.  They're informative.

This was my thought as well.

post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I assume the flags are there to show us that it's a global game.  They're informative.

 

The TV guys also really like to play up the "no American has won this event in x amount of years" or "only 2 international players have won this event since 1987" angles, and those flags allow us to follow along with that drama easily enough.

 

Thirdly, it's a fun game to play to try and guess the country of some of the lesser known flags. :)

 

Back when the PGA Tour's International was still being played in Colorado, Castle Pines made a point of flying the national flag for every country represented in the field.  I believe that it was the first such event (starting in 1986) on the PGA Tour, which went out of its way to encourage and promote international participation.  The first non-American winner was Greg Norman.  Others were Olazabal, Singh, Els, Pampling and Goosen.

post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 

But doesn't it promote differences instead of unity?

 

Or does it promote competition between countries and is that competition good?

 

Okay, where are the Russians?

post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

But doesn't it promote differences instead of unity?

Or does it promote competition between countries and is that competition good?

Okay, where are the Russians?

It doesn't promote anything. It simply recognizes that there are differences, and a certain diversity.

The Russians are out back, drunk.
post #7 of 25

I think it's considerate to recognize the player's country. Adds an element of respect and unity by recognizing the diversity. Probably not necessary but it's not a detraction.

post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


It doesn't promote anything. It simply recognizes that there are differences, and a certain diversity.

The Russians are out back, drunk.

I think it says "we are better than you" when you see all those flags of one or two countries.

 

It could prompt other countries to begin a state-mandated golf program to "catch up."

 

What did Korea do?

post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

I saw an opening scene to the Players where they inscribe the player's name, flag of his Country, and Name of his Country.

 

That's a lot of emphasis on Country.

 

I know we have the Ryder, President's, et al Cups, but why does the Tour promote differences among players and their Countries? Doesn't this divide rather than unite? And is it not one Tour of Professional Players?

 

I don't think weekly PGA Tournaments have a competition among Countries. Is it fun? Something they do without thinking?

 

Why?

 

Inquiring minds want to ... or maybe they don't want to know.

I agree, perplexes me why some believe the path to universal acceptance is to constantly highlight our differences. 

post #10 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

I agree, perplexes me why some believe the path to universal acceptance is to constantly highlight our differences. 

Yep.

 

We come together by setting one flag against another.... oh ... yeah.

 

a2_wink.gif

post #11 of 25
Perhaps some friendly competition between countries!
Highlights the global reach of golf.
Provides some basic background information about the players.

All good things, IMO.
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


It doesn't promote anything. It simply recognizes that there are differences, and a certain diversity.

The Russians are out back, drunk.

 

i'd like to get drunk with this russian...

 

maria_verchenova_17.jpg

post #13 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

 

i'd like to get drunk with this russian...

 

maria_verchenova_17.jpg

I'll bring the vodka ... or better, the tequila. 

 

No woman can handle tequila.f3_laugh.gif

post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofingaw View Post

Perhaps some friendly competition between countries!
Highlights the global reach of golf.
Provides some basic background information about the players.

All good things, IMO.

I think it's a balance.

 

Friendly competition between regions can heighten the game and bring drama ... witness highly competitive Ryder Cups.

 

But too much emphasis on flag waiving can divide and lead to boorish behavior. We must seek harmony, grasshopper.a2_wink.gif

post #15 of 25
Sure, it can get out of hand. But I haven't noticed anything too wild outside of Ryder Cup stuff. The regular tour events are an individual thing, by and large.
post #16 of 25

Global sporting or educational events draw people from many nations of the world.

 

At the college where I teach, we have students from more than 100 nations. At graduation, flagbearers from the different countries line the outside rim of the seating amphitheatre as the graduates walk in.

 

To me, globalization does not mean that everyone melts together into some blah non-culture. It means varied people contribute personal elements of value to larger ventures that have the potential to benefit many countries.

 

You have a team, but it's nice to know who's on the "roster."

post #17 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUTiger View Post

Global sporting or educational events draw people from many nations of the world.

 

At the college where I teach, we have students from more than 100 nations. At graduation, flagbearers from the different countries line the outside rim of the seating amphitheatre as the graduates walk in.

 

To me, globalization does not mean that everyone melts together into some blah non-culture. It means varied people contribute personal elements of value to larger ventures that have the potential to benefit many countries.

 

You have a team, but it's nice to know who's on the "roster."

Yes, I agree.

 

I just like understatement.

 

When I saw the "Players" commercial, with the flag of the country under the player's name and the name of the country prominently displayed, it struck me as "too much" and got me thinking.

 

That's a dangerous thing....

post #18 of 25

Its just to note where they are from.  Id say it is to show that its a global game and to promote competition between countires.  I wouldnt say that it divides us because for tour players its them vs the world anyways, so they are already divided.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › If Golf is a Global Game, Why All the Flags for Players?