or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Long Putter are you going to stop using it? If so when?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Long Putter are you going to stop using it? If so when?

post #1 of 68
Thread Starter 

I use a belly putter and like it a lot.  I am disappointed in the rule change.  I do play in competitions, club stuff.  I will abide by whatever the rule it.  I am not sure I want to take crap until 2016 though, I am not sure I will get crap for that matter.

 

What is the consensus of players if you don't use a long putter will you have "input" for people who do?

 

If you do use a long putter will you use it after 2016?  If not when will you stop at the deadline or before.

post #2 of 68

I can't answer your question, because I don't anchor, but I will promise you one thing......you won't get any "crap" from me as long as it's still legal.  Nor should you from anyone else.  If you do, I'd tell 'em to pound sand! 

post #3 of 68

Perhaps a positive flip side of this new rule will be a modest increase in the sales of ball-retrievers designed to be used around the edges of water hazards?

post #4 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouseJohnny View Post

Perhaps a positive flip side of this new rule will be a modest increase in the sales of ball-retrievers designed to be used around the edges of water hazards?

Sometimes humor does not translate on the internet and in this case I do not get it?

post #5 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecup View Post

I use a belly putter and like it a lot.  I am disappointed in the rule change.  I do play in competitions, club stuff.  I will abide by whatever the rule it.  I am not sure I want to take crap until 2016 though, I am not sure I will get crap for that matter.

 

What is the consensus of players if you don't use a long putter will you have "input" for people who do?

 

If you do use a long putter will you use it after 2016?  If not when will you stop at the deadline or before.

 

I'd probably rag on my friends (in good fun, not mean spirited) if any of them anchored, but none do.  I can only think of one person I've ever played with who used one and he is the head pro at my home course.  I don't personally know a single amateur who uses one. 

post #6 of 68

I don't rag on anyone for anything on the golf course. I got my own crap to deal with on the course. Although putting ain't one of them, last 9 I played with 14 putts. f1_cool.gif

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PS: 33" putter FWIW.

post #7 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecup View Post

Sometimes humor does not translate on the internet and in this case I do not get it?

I think he's implying the bc players will no longer be carrying 6' long putters around, they will not be able to use them to reach golf balls on the edge of water hazards. And therefore, will have to purchase a ball retriever to accomplish the same task.
post #8 of 68
Long putters will still be legal, just no anchoring.
post #9 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by walk18 View Post

Long putters will still be legal, just no anchoring.

Yes, we know. I think he was just making a joke.

But why carry around a 6' long putter if you can't anchor it? That's kinda the entire point.
post #10 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecup View Post

What is the consensus of players if you don't use a long putter will you have "input" for people who do?

I don't comment on how one plays golf as it relates to Rules or equipment.  Anyone using an anchored technique won't hear about it from me until 1/1/2016, and even then only if in a tournament setting.

 

I have a friend that uses a belly putter and, of course, I will make an exception for him and comment incessantly for the next couple years.  He has learned to ignore me.

post #11 of 68

I expect a large number of belly putter users will experiment with arm anchored putters, I'm sure the putter manufacturers hope so. 

post #12 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

I expect a large number of belly putter users will experiment with arm anchored putters, I'm sure the putter manufacturers hope so. 

 

I don't have a desire to do that.  I didn't have a desire to get a belly putter, don't have the yips.  I didn't get it.  I was at the golf store messing around with putters and found one that really fit.  I was hitting putts from everywhere.  I have tried other belly putters since then and not gotten that feeling at all.

post #13 of 68
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf View Post


I think he's implying the bc players will no longer be carrying 6' long putters around, they will not be able to use them to reach golf balls on the edge of water hazards. And therefore, will have to purchase a ball retriever to accomplish the same task.

Thanks, I get it.

post #14 of 68
I wasn't aware that the ruling bodies of golf would be coming to a local country club near you and checking your putter. What's it matter what one decides to use in a local round just for fun? I get it if it's a tourney though
post #15 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

 

I'd probably rag on my friends (in good fun, not mean spirited) if any of them anchored, but none do.  I can only think of one person I've ever played with who used one and he is the head pro at my home course.  I don't personally know a single amateur who uses one. 

 

I'd say the same.

post #16 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouseJohnny View Post

Perhaps a positive flip side of this new rule will be a modest increase in the sales of ball-retrievers designed to be used around the edges of water hazards?

 

God willing those will be outlawed next.

post #17 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post

 

God willing those will be outlawed next.

 

Now there's an initiative I can get behind!   c2_beer.gif

post #18 of 68

What does it mean for a social golfer?

 

If I play golf at my club but does not take part in club competition, will that make it ok to continue using anchored long putters beyond 2016? Could I use the scores from my social round to submit my handicap if I had been using an anchored putter during the round?

 

Or does that rule makes it illegal from all usage?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Long Putter are you going to stop using it? If so when?