or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Long Putter are you going to stop using it? If so when?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Long Putter are you going to stop using it? If so when? - Page 4

post #55 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacm3bill View Post

 

He's talking about someone who already uses the anchored stroke.

 

But anyone who does that is just as likely to simply miss some putts on purpose when playing non-competitive rounds... or just submit incorrect scores for that matter.

I understand what he was saying, but that is just like saying that someone who doesnt anchor is going to anchor during non tournament rounds to sandbag - either way a cheater is going to cheat and i doubt they would use 2 different putters and be that obvious.

post #56 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacm3bill View Post
He's talking about someone who already uses the anchored stroke.

 

But I would think anyone who would game the system that way is just as likely to simply miss some putts on purpose when playing non-competitive rounds... or just submit incorrect scores for that matter.

The intent wouldn't have to be to game the system, but it could be an unintended side effect. 

 

Same would be true for me, completely unrelated to anchored putting.  I'm trying to improve using my driver so I'll use it for a few rounds and typically not score as well with it in the bag.  When I play in a tournament I leave the driver home and use my 3 wood which I'm more accurate and get close to the same distance so I typically score better with it. 

post #57 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post


Yes and lets get some of those extra long smaller Bandit golf balls, 600 cc driver by Bang golf and some Spin Doctor irons with extra deep groves. Screw you USGA. I am also going to start running out of the baseline when playing softball because it makes me "feel" good...

 

I went out one day a few years ago with my buddy and we got paired with these two guys whose golf had a very loose connection with the rules of play. It didn't bother me much, though. They were friendly and we were all having a good time together.

 

We got to the 16th hole, par 3, and one of these guys hits his ball short and right, next to a pond. My ball went over there, too, so we both walked down and when we arrived, his ball was about three inches in front of a big, ugly weed that science has yet to name. He had no play to the green. Bob Rosburged. So, resourceful golfer that he was, he proceeded to stomp the **** out if this weed. Over and over. I mean he just obliterated it. There was nothing left but this green, pulpy mess.

 

Now he has a shot, so he chips on, sinks his putt, and says, apparently in all honesty, "That was a pretty good par!"

 

I tried not to laugh too hard, but I said, "Yes, I've never seen one like that before."

 

This is recreational golf. It's not competitive golf. And if that's how he wants to play, it's fine with  me. The USGA has no control over how the recreational game is played.

 

But if you want to see if you're better than me, then haul out the rule book and we'll play by it. Every one of them.
 

post #58 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post


Yes and lets get some of those extra long smaller Bandit golf balls, 600 cc driver by Bang golf and some Spin Doctor irons with extra deep groves. Screw you USGA. I am also going to start running out of the baseline when playing softball because it makes me "feel" good...

 

I went out one day a few years ago with my buddy and we got paired with these two guys whose golf had a very loose connection with the rules of play. It didn't bother me much, though. They were friendly and we were all having a good time together.

 

We got to the 16th hole, par 3, and one of these guys hits his ball short and right, next to a pond. My ball went over there, too, so we both walked down and when we arrived, his ball was about three inches in front of a big, ugly weed that science has yet to name. He had no play to the green. Bob Rosburged. So, resourceful golfer that he was, he proceeded to stomp the **** out if this weed. Over and over. I mean he just obliterated it. There was nothing left but this green, pulpy mess.

 

Now he has a shot, so he chips on, sinks his putt, and says, apparently in all honesty, "That was a pretty good par!"

 

I tried not to laugh too hard, but I said, "Yes, I've never seen one like that before."

 

This is recreational golf. It's not competitive golf. And if that's how he wants to play, it's fine with  me. The USGA has no control over how the recreational game is played.

 

But if you want to see if you're better than me, then haul out the rule book and we'll play by it. Every one of them.
 


When I play with friends, we always compete in some sort of way. Teams or individual and scores are handicap worthy. If you want to play rec golf that is your prerogative. If I am playing with a nobody, I could care less if they were hitting with a rake. But as far as counting scores for caps, the anchor biz is a no go.

post #59 of 68

I will rant on just as usual. On the other hand I am highly critical of hybrids and modern oversized woods too...

 

Edit: I should mention that this is done in good humor when playing with people I know quite good. I try to tone it down when playing with others. 

post #60 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by meenman View Post

If too many people do it, it will also be banned.

 

Nope. And there's no need to spread FUD about it, either. The entire putter is still swinging.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer View Post

If you regret having to give up anchored putting in 2016, there's a simple solution. Don't give it up. A USGA handicap is not the be-all and end-all of recreational golf. I played for 40 years before I got one, and had lots of fun on the course in that time.

 

If you don't play in tournaments, if you just go out with your friends to have fun, anchor if you want to. Won't bother me.

 

I doubt very many (I don't want to say "any" but it's probably very, very, very, very, very, very, very few) of those people who NEVER play in tournaments are even really aware of anchoring let alone using an anchored method.

 

It's only 2-4% of ALL golfers, of that category I wouldn't be surprised if it's less than 0.2%.

post #61 of 68
I am personally not a fan of anchored putting but that doesn't mean I care if others use this technique unless in a competitive (scratch) tournament. I love golf and wish more people did, if using a anchored stroke allows a person to enjoy the game more then more power too them. Will I give a friend crap for using a yip stick, definitely, that's what a friends are for but I wouldn't to anyone else. I personally don't really see the big issue with using a long putter for handicap in some league play (besides the obvious rules violation in 2016). If you both had legit handicaps and you played better, wouldn't you still beat them? But this is just my view on it.
post #62 of 68

With the amount of BS latitude that my usual playing buddies afford themselves under the guise of 'hey whatever, we're not pros', anchoring isn't even a blip on my radar. Have at it as far as I'm concerned. 

 

I have yet to beat any of my buddies, come close at times 3-4 strokes but what they don't get is that I count everything and play it down at all times. In reality I'm probably beating them by 6-8 strokes on a consistent basis if we apply the same rules. Doesn't bother me a bit because once I can beat them even with their custom rules there will be no turning back.

 

I'd rather let my opponent anchor if he wants than have hime fluff his lie and footwedge it from behind the tree trunk, 'hey whatever, we're not pros'.

post #63 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post


Yes and lets get some of those extra long smaller Bandit golf balls, 600 cc driver by Bang golf and some Spin Doctor irons with extra deep groves. Screw you USGA. I am also going to start running out of the baseline when playing softball because it makes me "feel" good...

This is a good point.  For example, I know people that like to play tennis - but what they play I don't consider to be tennis.  They grab some ancient balls that don't bounce and just hit back and forth regardless of where the ball lands.  They'll hit one against the fence that never bounced and act like they gotcha.  This is misery to me.  Just different types of people I guess.  I don't get it.

 

And the 'we're not pros' guy always seems to be announcing his score at the end of the round. I wonder if you shot basketball with him if he'd just disregard the rules against traveling or double-dribble.  After all, we're not pros.  And I realize the golf rules can become minutia, but I kicking your ball out from behind a tree is not in the details.  

post #64 of 68

If anyone catches this weeks *golf fix* - at the end of the show, he shows how to continue using long and belly putters.

 

As said before by myself and others - pulling the butt slightly away from the chest will not be a drastic change with the broomstick. Everything else he showed was the Snead method.

post #65 of 68

Not only will I continue to anchor but I am now officially adding a foot wedge to the bag too. Anyone doesn't like it can get out of my group. My friends won't say diddly about it because I would quit inviting them if they say a single thing or even make a face about it. the usga rules just officially became irrelevant in my group.

post #66 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanw View Post

Not only will I continue to anchor but I am now officially adding a foot wedge to the bag too. Anyone doesn't like it can get out of my group. My friends won't say diddly about it because I would quit inviting them if they say a single thing or even make a face about it. the usga rules just officially became irrelevant in my group.

I thought you could use one of these.....

post #67 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanw View Post

Not only will I continue to anchor but I am now officially adding a foot wedge to the bag too. Anyone doesn't like it can get out of my group. My friends won't say diddly about it because I would quit inviting them if they say a single thing or even make a face about it. the usga rules just officially became irrelevant in my group.
You're an idiot.
post #68 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanw View Post

Not only will I continue to anchor but I am now officially adding a foot wedge to the bag too. Anyone doesn't like it can get out of my group. My friends won't say diddly about it because I would quit inviting them if they say a single thing or even make a face about it. the usga rules just officially became irrelevant in my group.
You're an idiot.

 

You're too nice.  Shouldn't feed the trolls. b2_tongue.gif  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Long Putter are you going to stop using it? If so when?