or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › What's for dinner?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's for dinner? - Page 8

post #127 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
 

Holy crap...my buddy Jay said almost the same thing to me a little while back. He loves food, but hates eating, and feels like it's a waste of time. Haha.

 

I love food too, but sometimes it's inconvenient to take the time to eat. Some days I'm busier than others. I see food as something like entertainment. Sometimes I go months without watching a movie, then other months I'll watch four because I have a little more time or there's a few really good movies.

post #128 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

I love food too, but sometimes it's inconvenient to take the time to eat. Some days I'm busier than others. I see food as something like entertainment. Sometimes I go months without watching a movie, then other months I'll watch four because I have a little more time or there's a few really good movies.

 

I get that.  I've always said, we tend to eat recreationally!

 

Last night was pizza delivered.  Sorry guys, no pics!  :-D

post #129 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

We had homemeade meatballs with rotini and some jarred red sauce last night.

 

I don't know where some of you (with kids) find the time to make all the stuff you make. Or maybe most of the ones posting this stuff don't have kids. :)

 

My son is at college now, so it is easier.  A lot less laundry too!

 
We usually make a nice meal on Sunday that will last a couple of days of leftovers.  Then we do another one mid-week.
post #130 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


I don't often say this to guys but, nice rack bro.

Mine are just all piled up hodge podge in a cupboard.

Do any if you guys grow herbs? We have for years. Basil, Rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage plus hot peppers and tons of garlic, like literally half the garden is garlic a1_smile.gif

Awesome to be able to just walk out and snip what you need. The rosemary we bring in every fall so we have like ten year old rosemary plants, they have gnarly ass bark like trees now! The sage I chop down in the fall and hang upside down to dry and the chopped bush comes back every spring.

 

Most of the spices are from Penzey's, http://www.penzeys.com/.  We are lucky we have a store in the next town over.  They have sample jars of every spice and herb that you can smell.  It is like aroma therapy!

 

We grow basil and rosemary.  Last year we had thyme and sage, but didn't use the sage enough.  I want to do garlic.  Which type do you plant?

post #131 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

 

Most of the spices are from Penzey's, http://www.penzeys.com/.  We are lucky we have a store in the next town over.  They have sample jars of every spice and herb that you can smell.  It is like aroma therapy!

 

We grow basil and rosemary.  Last year we had thyme and sage, but didn't use the sage enough.  I want to do garlic.  Which type do you plant?

 

My wife's the gardener, not sure what specific kind of garlic it is, she probably wouldn't know either.

 
The two main points for successful garlic are:
 
1) get the garlic that you intend to plant locally, and not from a store but from a farm. This will insure that the garlic adapts well to your soil and growing climate.
 

2) plant it in the fall.

post #132 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

 

Most of the spices are from Penzey's, http://www.penzeys.com/.  We are lucky we have a store in the next town over.  They have sample jars of every spice and herb that you can smell.  It is like aroma therapy!

 

We grow basil and rosemary.  Last year we had thyme and sage, but didn't use the sage enough.  I want to do garlic.  Which type do you plant?

 

 

I get a lot of mine from The Spice House, up in Cipher's neck of the woods.....

 

http://www.thespicehouse.com/

 

I like to get whole spices when I can and grind a little at a time.

 

 

We just grow a few basic herbs.  Rosemary, basil, thyme, and oregano.  Usually some chilies too, they tend to do well in the heat down here.

post #133 of 244
Thread Starter 

Here's some good garlic growing info.

 

 

https://www.garlicfarm.ca/growing-garlic.htm

post #134 of 244

Made some Minestrone in the crock pot yesterday:

 

?ui=2&ik=c68ee85a6c&view=att&th=1416f0773c716770&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9m3BOGbZTXrivXejid5n-1&sadet=1380549370777&sads=6sh82u7E0-TuAJOY99HVX9kHf58&sadssc=1

 

?ui=2&ik=c68ee85a6c&view=att&th=1416f0773c716770&attid=0.3&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9m3BOGbZTXrivXejid5n-1&sadet=1380549435666&sads=vNQ6R1ZF24TNtZwhrqqh72-wD2g

 

Turned out very well :)

post #135 of 244

It was a little warm here yesterday so after playing I made a nice chefs salad.

Tonight's dinner will either be a pot roast with noodles or scallop potatoes and ham?

post #136 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker101 View Post

It was a little warm here yesterday so after playing I made a nice chefs salad.
Tonight's dinner will either be a pot roast with noodles or scallop potatoes and ham?
When it gets too hot and humid around here we'll usually do up a huge arugula salad with pan toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds, avocado and cherry tomatoes from the garden. Grill up a nice piece of bavette (French cut similar to a flat iron or flank steak) sliced super thin and draped over the greens. Awesome summer fare. Big bottle of red and Bob's yer uncle.
post #137 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


When it gets too hot and humid around here we'll usually do up a huge arugula salad with pan toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds, avocado and cherry tomatoes from the garden. Grill up a nice piece of bavette (French cut similar to a flat iron or flank steak) sliced super thin and draped over the greens. Awesome summer fare. Big bottle of red and Bob's yer uncle.

There is nothing better the a great salad after 18, on a warm afternoon.

But will need to try the steak next time, never thought about it..thanks

.

post #138 of 244
Pasta all'amatriciana. Basically, pasta doused in bacon fat and topped with tomatoes, onions, bacon, and cheese. Well, that's the poor man's version at least.

Mmmmmmmmm.
post #139 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

Pasta all'amatriciana. Basically, pasta doused in bacon fat and topped with tomatoes, onions, bacon, and cheese. Well, that's the poor man's version at least.

Mmmmmmmmm.
Agreed. Mmmmmmmmmm.
post #140 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

Pasta all'amatriciana. Basically, pasta doused in bacon fat and topped with tomatoes, onions, bacon, and cheese. Well, that's the poor man's version at least.

Mmmmmmmmm.


Mmmmmmmmm, bacon fat........!
post #141 of 244
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Mmmmmmmmm, bacon fat........!

One of the tastiest by-products out there. Hopefully no one catches on or they'll jack up the price of bacon. I remember when raw chicken wings were practically free, now they cost more per pound than a whole chicken!!!! Same with duck fat, they used to throw it out, now you pay top dollar unless you render your own ducks.
post #142 of 244

Moe's. Taco Tuesday.

post #143 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


One of the tastiest by-products out there. Hopefully no one catches on or they'll jack up the price of bacon. I remember when raw chicken wings were practically free, now they cost more per pound than a whole chicken!!!! Same with duck fat, they used to throw it out, now you pay top dollar unless you render your own ducks.

 

They are always finding an angle to increase prices.

post #144 of 244

Not sure, taking my daughter out after her Doc appointment?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › What's for dinner?