or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › What's for dinner?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's for dinner? - Page 11

post #181 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post
 

It was the Quinta... they had the rep from Ramos Pintos visiting.

 

When I commented  the 10 yr Tawny reminded me of a sherry - but much more complex, honeyed and satisfying - I thought he was going to lose his cookies... he then explained the differences between sherry and port. I laughed, saying it only reminded me of a sherry. But then I had the 20 yr old ... yummmmm, and when I drank the 30 yr old, I thought about getting a date so I could slather it over her... but then, that would be a waste of a good 30 yr old .... port.

 

While the 30 yr old tawny was delightful, the value was the 20 yr old...

 

:bugout:

 

I'll bet he did!   :-D

 

Gotta say, I'm not a huge Sherry fan.  Much prefer the depth of a good port.

post #182 of 267

Malmsey Madeira is also excellent.

post #183 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

g2_eek.gif

I'll bet he did!   a3_biggrin.gif

Gotta say, I'm not a huge Sherry fan.  Much prefer the depth of a good port.
Not a sherry guy either, it goes wasted and I end up cooking w it

The Tawny 10 yr had flavors and a nose that was a reminder of Sherry. But the port was smoother with more complexity and depth

Now the 20 and 30 year-olds were nothing like a 10-year-old. It was a whole Nother world
post #184 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

Malmsey Madeira is also excellent.
Agree
post #185 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post


Not a sherry guy either, it goes wasted and I end up cooking w it

The Tawny 10 yr had flavors and a nose that was a reminder of Sherry. But the port was smoother with more complexity and depth

Now the 20 and 30 year-olds were nothing like a 10-year-old. It was a whole Nother world

 

I assume they were trying to sell you some.  How were the prices?  Any discounts at the tasting?  That Quinto has to be a $100 bill+, isn't it?

post #186 of 267
Thread Starter 

Sherry is for old ladies.

 

I never liked Port until I was introduced to the drier ones. Still more of a whisky drinker but really good Porto is...really good.

post #187 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

I assume they were trying to sell you some.  How were the prices?  Any discounts at the tasting?  That Quinto has to be a $100 bill+, isn't it?

10% off

 

20 yr Tawny Quinto - $60

 

30 yr Tawny Quinto - $102

 

Good deal? The Rep from Ramos said without a vacu vin, after opening, it should last a month without issues in a cellar before too much oxidation.

post #188 of 267

I usually get a bottle of 20 year old Taylor Fladgate on my birthday from friends of mine.  They love port too.

 

My brother did some work in Porto.  He doesn't like port and did NOT bring back any samples for me.  Bastard.

post #189 of 267

A little better effort this time.

 

My wife and daughter love that I feel the need to practice souffle's periodically.....

 

1000

post #190 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

A little better effort this time.

 

My wife and daughter love that I feel the need to practice souffle's periodically.....

Great job David - I'm impressed.  Tonight we had crab cakes, green beans and a side of Parmesan pasta.

post #191 of 267

Guys,

My son is on a kick right now, so we picked up Ground Turkey does anypne have a way to season it?

I really don't like the taste of Ground Turkey meat or Turkey burgers.

post #192 of 267
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker101 View Post
 

Guys,

My son is on a kick right now, so we picked up Ground Turkey does anypne have a way to season it?

I really don't like the taste of Ground Turkey meat or Turkey burgers.

That's a tough one, not really a fan of ground turkey, or maybe better stated: I have no real experience cooking with it.

 

Having said that, if I were trying to make something palatable with ground turkey I would either go:

  • savory with lots of sage and maybe thyme or rosemary (although this approach will accentuate the turkey flavour not mask it)
  • spicy with fresh chillies and maybe cilantro
  • or...maybe just punch it up with lots of steak spice and Worcestershire so it doesn't taste like turkey

 

Also, adding a ton of garlic makes anything taste good...

 

 

EDIT* David is going to suggest you poach it in bacon fat! :-P

post #193 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker101 View Post
 

Guys,

My son is on a kick right now, so we picked up Ground Turkey does anypne have a way to season it?

I really don't like the taste of Ground Turkey meat or Turkey burgers.

 

I'd take an onion and mince it very finely - like in a food processor - then I would add Italian seasoning.  Another option would be to put Essence of Emeril directly into the ground turkey.  My wife loves it on burgers.

post #194 of 267

Tonight it was steak, baked potato and broccoli...

post #195 of 267
Thread Starter 
Speaking of turkey, Canadian Thanksgiving is finally over. Cooked a 12lb turkey with drunken stuffing loaded with Grand Marnier, honey garlic sausage, currants, raisins, sage and rosemary.

Sides of Sweet Potato mash, cranberry sauce, roasted garlic soup and mountains of raw Beau Soleil Oysters. Everything from scratch.




Good Times!!
Edited by Ernest Jones - 10/15/13 at 6:49pm
post #196 of 267

Thanks guys gotta do somthing, and all great ideas.

post #197 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

That's a tough one, not really a fan of ground turkey, or maybe better stated: I have no real experience cooking with it.

Having said that, if I were trying to make something palatable with ground turkey I would either go:
  • savory with lots of sage and maybe thyme or rosemary (although this approach will accentuate the turkey flavour not mask it)
  • spicy with fresh chillies and maybe cilantro
  • or...maybe just punch it up with lots of steak spice and Worcestershire so it doesn't taste like turkey

Also, adding a ton of garlic makes anything taste good...


EDIT* David is going to suggest you poach it in bacon fat! b2_tongue.gif

Well, maybe not poach, but a quick pan fry would be nice! a2_wink.gif
post #198 of 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker101 View Post
 

Guys,

My son is on a kick right now, so we picked up Ground Turkey does anypne have a way to season it?

I really don't like the taste of Ground Turkey meat or Turkey burgers.

 

I've used it in dishes in place of ground beef, but it definitely needs something to kick it up.  Ground turkey is pretty bland.  I've used it in sloppy joes, in spicy tacos, in chili with beans - all dishes which carry a lot of flavor on their own so that you can get away with using a less flavorful meat.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › What's for dinner?