or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › What's for dinner?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's for dinner? - Page 12

post #199 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker101 View Post
 

Guys,

My son is on a kick right now, so we picked up Ground Turkey does anypne have a way to season it?

I really don't like the taste of Ground Turkey meat or Turkey burgers.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

 

I've used it in dishes in place of ground beef, but it definitely needs something to kick it up.  Ground turkey is pretty bland.  I've used it in sloppy joes, in spicy tacos, in chili with beans - all dishes which carry a lot of flavor on their own so that you can get away with using a less flavorful meat.

Yeah.  My wife is not a fan of ground beef.  She's not a vegetarian or anything, just not a big fan of red meat.  So at our house, ground turkey is the go-to substitute for things like spaghetti with meat sauce, or enchiladas.  Basically what fourputt says is on the money.  It carries very little flavor itself, so you better stick it in something that has its own kick.

post #200 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

 

 

Yeah.  My wife is not a fan of ground beef.  She's not a vegetarian or anything, just not a big fan of red meat.  So at our house, ground turkey is the go-to substitute for things like spaghetti with meat sauce, or enchiladas.  Basically what fourputt says is on the money.  It carries very little flavor itself, so you better stick it in something that has its own kick.

 

Have you tried ground pork?  Or better yet, for your spaghetti sauce, ground Italian pork sausage......

post #201 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

Have you tried ground pork?  Or better yet, for your spaghetti sauce, ground Italian pork sausage......

Yes, yes, yes!!!  When I made (I'd say make, but it's been a long time) spaghetti that's all I used ... even when ground beef was "on limits." ;)

 

Dee-lish-us!!!

post #202 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker101 View Post
 

Guys,

My son is on a kick right now, so we picked up Ground Turkey does anypne have a way to season it?

I really don't like the taste of Ground Turkey meat or Turkey burgers.

One word, "bacon."

post #203 of 255
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

One word, "bacon."
Just make sure it isn't turkey bacon. That would suck...
post #204 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
 

One word, "bacon."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


Just make sure it isn't turkey bacon. That would suck...

 

Or low sodium bacon. Got that at Costco last week and I sure wish I got regular. 

post #205 of 255
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMPIRE View Post

Or low sodium bacon. Got that at Costco last week and I sure wish I got regular. 

Low salt salt.
post #206 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

Have you tried ground pork?  Or better yet, for your spaghetti sauce, ground Italian pork sausage......

Yes, yes, yes!!!  When I made (I'd say make, but it's been a long time) spaghetti that's all I used ... even when ground beef was "on limits." ;)

 

Dee-lish-us!!!

 

Spicy Italian sausage - good stuff.  Believe it or not (and this may be sacrilege to some) it's really good in jambalaya instead of andouille (which is unavailable down here).

post #207 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
 

 

Spicy Italian sausage - good stuff.  Believe it or not (and this may be sacrilege to some) it's really good in jambalaya instead of andouille (which is unavailable down here).

Spicy Italian sausage could make bark mulch taste good!  Great idea for a substitute.

post #208 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

Spicy Italian sausage - good stuff.  Believe it or not (and this may be sacrilege to some) it's really good in jambalaya instead of andouille (which is unavailable down here).

Mmmmm, spicy Italian is the only way to go.
post #209 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post


Just make sure it isn't turkey bacon. That would suck...

There has to be a line drawn in the sand at this point.

Bad enough Ground Turkey no way in hell it will be Turkey bacon too.

post #210 of 255
I bought a beef brisket on sale the other day, looking for ideas on how to prepare it.

I don't have the facilities to smoke it or slowly grill it, and I'm not sure I have any roast pan or dutch oven large enough to use the oven. Also don't have a slow cooker or pressure cooker.

Thinking of braising. Ideas?
post #211 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

I bought a beef brisket on sale the other day, looking for ideas on how to prepare it.

I don't have the facilities to smoke it or slowly grill it, and I'm not sure I have any roast pan or dutch oven large enough to use the oven. Also don't have a slow cooker or pressure cooker.

Thinking of braising. Ideas?

I'd stick with an easy oven roast. If you don't have one, you can get a big disposable roasting pan for a buck or two at your grocery store. A good dry rub is a must.....
post #212 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


I'd stick with an easy oven roast. If you don't have one, you can get a big disposable roasting pan for a buck or two at your grocery store. A good dry rub is a must.....

Or, look for a braising recipe.  Low and slow for 2 - 4 hours depending on the size of the cut.

post #213 of 255

Made an authentic Chicago-style deep dish pizza tonight.

 

Sausage was a bit thick and next time I'll separate it (so it doesn't just shrink into the middle an inch or two all the way around), but it was GREAT.

 

(Also, the sausage was only in patties when I went to the store yesterday - I've sourced some good mild Italian that's just ground without being pre-formed.)

 

 

 

 

 

post #214 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Made an authentic Chicago-style deep dish pizza tonight.

Sausage was a bit thick and next time I'll separate it (so it doesn't just shrink into the middle an inch or two all the way around), but it was GREAT.

(Also, the sausage was only in patties when I went to the store yesterday - I've sourced some good mild Italian that's just ground without being pre-formed.)














That looks insanely good!! If I wasn't full of homemade baked ziti and watching the wife bake some sort of banana cream pie right now, I'd be pissed! ;)
post #215 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Made an authentic Chicago-style deep dish pizza tonight.

Sausage was a bit thick and next time I'll separate it (so it doesn't just shrink into the middle an inch or two all the way around), but it was GREAT.

(Also, the sausage was only in patties when I went to the store yesterday - I've sourced some good mild Italian that's just ground without being pre-formed.)















Outstanding! c2_beer.gif

If you find a good fresh Italian sausage that you really like, don't forget, you can just buy the links and slice open the casings.......voila, ground sausage.
post #216 of 255

BBQ babyback ribs here......Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › What's for dinner?