or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Official 2013 U.S. Open at Merion Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2013 U.S. Open at Merion Discussion Thread - Page 8

post #127 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

This is looking like it could be a mess, more rain Thursday...

I'm betting that Rory is going to have an excellent 4 days with these conditions. For some reason, the kid plays superb golf in conditions that are wet and slow and soft. I'm honestly not even sure if stats back me up on this, but from what I recall during the times I paid attention to him playing, he seemed to do very well.

post #128 of 685
Looking like there's probably going to be some embedded lies... What's the rule on that? Can they clean the ball?
post #129 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

Looking like there's probably going to be some embedded lies... What's the rule on that? Can they clean the ball?

As of now, there's no lift, clean and place in effect but they might not have a choice if it rains hard on Thursday and Friday.

post #130 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

Looking like there's probably going to be some embedded lies... What's the rule on that? Can they clean the ball?

 

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/story/11868768

 

This is an interesting article from 2009. Unfortunately for the players, I believe this attitude is still upheld and there is no Lift, Clean and Place applied during the US Open. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong because that will definitely change the dynamic of this tournament.

post #131 of 685

im not talking about lift clean and cheat, im talking about when the ball is sitting in its own plug - isnt there a rule that says you can take it out if you are through the green?

post #132 of 685
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

im not talking about lift clean and cheat, im talking about when the ball is sitting in its own plug - isnt there a rule that says you can take it out if you are through the green?

 

The Rules say closely mown area but the PGA Tour often applies the local rule through the green, yes. The USGA tends not to want to do a lot of the local rule stuff…

post #133 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

The Rules say closely mown area but the PGA Tour often applies the local rule through the green, yes. The USGA tends not to want to do a lot of the local rule stuff…

 

Yep, except the European Tour disapplies this rule in sandy areas and leaves Tiger to guess what a sandy area is!
post #134 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

The Rules say closely mown area but the PGA Tour often applies the local rule through the green, yes. The USGA tends not to want to do a lot of the local rule stuff…


ok, so if a ball plugs in the fairway, do they have to put it right next to the plug?  do they drop it or place it?  how about cleaning off the ball?

post #135 of 685
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

ok, so if a ball plugs in the fairway, do they have to put it right next to the plug?  do they drop it or place it?  how about cleaning off the ball?

 

I'm a big fan of self-starters and do-it-yourselfers: http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-25/ . Rule has "embedded ball" right in the title.

post #136 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

I'm a big fan of self-starters and do-it-yourselfers: http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-25/ . Rule has "embedded ball" right in the title.


why would i do it myself if i can just ask you?!?!  lol, thanks!

post #137 of 685

Wet fairways mean wider fairways. I can see the advantage going to longer hitters using one-irons & hybrids off the tees.

post #138 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

Wet fairways mean wider fairways. I can see the advantage going to longer hitters using one-irons & hybrids off the tees.

 

judging by that rough, whoever stays in the fairway the most has the best chance.  hoping for a tiger performance like the year at the british open where he didnt hit into one fairway bunker the whole tournament.

post #139 of 685

How cool is the Golf Channel's "Fly-Cam"?

post #140 of 685

Tiger during his press conference said if the conditions stay as they are now he'll be using his driver more than he anticipated because as zipazoid stated the wet fairways will make them seem wider. 

post #141 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

Tiger during his press conference said if the conditions stay as they are now he'll be using his driver more than he anticipated because as zipazoid stated the wet fairways will make them seem wider. 

That and they won't roll as much, so he'll want as much carry distance as possible. Thursday can't come soon enough right now. 

post #142 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBrew View Post

Thursday can't come soon enough right now. 

 

i know, me too.  im taking as a consolation from tigers disastrous Memorial the fact that he hit 82% of his fairways.

post #143 of 685
The players who will benefit most from the soft fairways are the ones who are both pretty long and pretty straight off the tee. The conditions aren't going to help tee shots that find the rough on the fly, and with no roll, the short-but-accurate drivers are going to have some long approaches. If I was searching for a potential winner, I'd look among the leaders in the PGA Tour's total driving statistic. The leader in that category so far in 2013? Justin Rose. Keegan Bradley is ranked fourth; Tiger is 12th, and Rory and Lee Westwood are tied for 14th.
post #144 of 685

yeah, westwood might have a chance, his tee to green play is so good sometimes.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Official 2013 U.S. Open at Merion Discussion Thread