or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Official 2013 U.S. Open at Merion Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2013 U.S. Open at Merion Discussion Thread - Page 9

post #145 of 685

Westwood's putting is what holds him back: 100th on Tour from 5' and in. 151st from 5' to 10'. 105th in Strokes Gained Putting. 

 

We're talking a lot about the narrow fairways and long forced carries, but don't forget at the end of the day, the flatstick is the most important one. 

post #146 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBrew View Post

Westwood's putting is what holds him back: 100th on Tour from 5' and in. 151st from 5' to 10'. 105th in Strokes Gained Putting. 

We're talking a lot about the narrow fairways and long forced carries, but don't forget at the end of the day, the flatstick is the most important one. 

Indeed. The greens may not as fast as they were expecting, but that's relative. We're talking about the difference between rolling 14 and 12 on the Stimpmeter; they're still going to be serious.
post #147 of 685
Quote:
Phil Mickelson skips Open practice

ARDMORE, Pa. -- Phil Mickelson was not at Merion Golf Club on Tuesday preparing for the U.S. Open because he headed home to San Diego, where he will attend his daughter's eighth-grade graduation....

(more) 
http://espn.go.com/golf/usopen13/story/_/id/9366479/2013-us-open-phil-mickelson-leaves-merion-skips-practice-round-attend-daughter-graduation

 

Apparently, people believe this is going to drastically decrease Phil's chances. I, on the other hand, really don't think that is the case. He is still going to be practicing, albeit in San Diego, but he's practicing. Phil will be Phil... I think he'll perform well and finish top 10, but not because of his Merion absence.

post #148 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post

Apparently, people believe this is going to drastically decrease Phil's chances. I, on the other hand, really don't think that is the case. He is still going to be practicing, albeit in San Diego, but he's practicing. Phil will be Phil... I think he'll perform well and finish top 10, but not because of his Merion absence.

I would discount his chances at contending because he's taking a red-eye cross-country flight to catch a 7:11 tee time for the first round. Not smart, Phil.
post #149 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper View Post


I would discount his chances at contending because he's taking a red-eye cross-country flight to catch a 7:11 tee time for the first round. Not smart, Phil.

Well, I don't think he's making an uneducated or unassuming flight. I think he knows exactly what he's doing in terms of sleep, jet lag, endurance, practice and preparation, etc.

 

It's not like he's a regular flyer that is coming in on a Southwest flight, sitting coach and being uncomfortable and deprived of sleep or luxury. He will be on his private jet with his staff and he will be pampered and cared for before, during and immediately after his flight.

On the eve of a major, he is definitely not going to do something that he thinks will drastically decrease his chances of winning. Regardless of being there for his family, I do have to believe he wouldn't go if he thought it would be detrimental to his odds of adding another major to his record.

post #150 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper View Post


I would discount his chances at contending because he's taking a red-eye cross-country flight to catch a 7:11 tee time for the first round. Not smart, Phil.

What I heard was that he'll be flying into PA tomorrow, not Thursday morning. I may be wrong about that, but that's what I recall hearing. 

post #151 of 685

I don't want to bring up the topic of Tiger-Sergio, but I just wanted to say that Garcia's press-conference was painful to watch. I almost, key word being almost, felt bad for him sitting there answering those questions. 

post #152 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBrew View Post

I don't want to bring up the topic of Tiger-Sergio, but I just wanted to say that Garcia's press-conference was painful to watch. I almost, key word being almost, felt bad for him sitting there answering those questions. 

 

...and the person to blame for that situation stares back at him in the mirror.

 

This is a good test of just how sincere/contrite he is about it all. He better sit there and answer all questions politely. 

post #153 of 685

Regarding Phil, I think the biggest possible threat this situation has is on his potential focus for the first round.  I doubt the lack of practice is going to really affect him as much as the possible distraction or lack of focus because his normal routine is disturbed.

post #154 of 685
That rough looks like the same rough I have to deal with on a few courses near me. You're lucky to even find your ball, forget about getting it on the green. Of course Merion does that on purpose, whereas the courses I play are simply too lazy/cheap to mow the stuff.
post #155 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansteadimp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

The Rules say closely mown area but the PGA Tour often applies the local rule through the green, yes. The USGA tends not to want to do a lot of the local rule stuff…

 

Yep, except the European Tour disapplies this rule in sandy areas and leaves Tiger to guess what a sandy area is!

 

That isn't a European Tour rule.  It's a rule of golf, and even the PGA Tour follows it.  The difference is that there aren't many chances to get that sort of a lie in the places they play in this country.  This is the specimen local rule for relief for embedded ball through the green.  Note Exception 1:

 

 

Quote:

a. Relief for Embedded Ball

Rule 25-2 provides relief, without penalty, for a ball embedded in its own pitch-mark in any closely mown area through the green. On the putting green, a ball may be lifted and damage caused by the impact of a ball may be repaired (Rules16-1b and c). When permission to take relief for an embedded ball anywhere through the green would be warranted, the following Local Rule is recommended:

“Through the green, a ball that is embedded in its own pitch-mark in the ground may be lifted, without penalty, cleaned and dropped as near as possible to where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green.

 

Exceptions:

1. A player may not take relief under this Local Rule if the ball is embedded in sand in an area that is not closely mown.

2. A player may not take relief under this Local Rule if interference by anything other than the condition covered by this Local Rule makes the stroke clearly impracticable.

 

This is the rule that bit Tiger, not some special condition that only applies in the EPGA Tour.

post #156 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

That isn't a European Tour rule.  It's a rule of golf, and even the PGA Tour follows it.  The difference is that there aren't many chances to get that sort of a lie in the places they play in this country.  This is the specimen local rule for relief for embedded ball through the green.  Note Exception 1:



This is the rule that bit Tiger, not some special condition that only applies in the EPGA Tour.

My memory might be off, but I thought he hit into a green area that was inside a trap, like a green island inside a sand bunker. That's why he dropped, because it wasn't embedded in sand.
post #157 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

That isn't a European Tour rule.  It's a rule of golf, and even the PGA Tour follows it.  The difference is that there aren't many chances to get that sort of a lie in the places they play in this country.  This is the specimen local rule for relief for embedded ball through the green.  Note Exception 1:



This is the rule that bit Tiger, not some special condition that only applies in the EPGA Tour.

My memory might be off, but I thought he hit into a green area that was inside a trap, like a green island inside a sand bunker. That's why he dropped, because it wasn't embedded in sand.

 

No, it wasn't a bunker, because then there would have been no question.  The ball was in a weed grown area but embedded in sand.  It was in Dubai I think?  The ball was in what you would call "rough", what is classified in the rules as through the green.  

post #158 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

 

No, it wasn't a bunker, because then there would have been no question.  The ball was in a weed grown area but embedded in sand.  It was in Dubai I think?  The ball was in what you would call "rough", what is classified in the rules as through the green.  

So this area was covered by the Local Rule element as it wasn't closely mown? Do all the tours take the local rule under all circumstances?

 

Was it Tiger not knowing the rules or a difference between tours, I remember it being reported as the latter but your explanation would suggest the former?

post #159 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansteadimp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

 

No, it wasn't a bunker, because then there would have been no question.  The ball was in a weed grown area but embedded in sand.  It was in Dubai I think?  The ball was in what you would call "rough", what is classified in the rules as through the green.  

So this area was covered by the Local Rule element as it wasn't closely mown? Do all the tours take the local rule under all circumstances?

 

Was it Tiger not knowing the rules or a difference between tours, I remember it being reported as the latter but your explanation would suggest the former?

 

I think that both the US PGA and the EPGA use that local rule as standard for all play.  The trouble is, being embedded in sand outside of a hazard is so rare that it's probably something that no one has encountered before in recent times, so unless one has read all of those local rules and memorized the fine points, it would be easy to stumble over that exception.  I didn't know it until that incident came up, and I have a better than average knowledge of the rules.

post #160 of 685
So, do you guys think that the course being soft opens up chances for winning for more players now?
post #161 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

So, do you guys think that the course being soft opens up chances for winning for more players now?

 

You still have to hit it in the fairways. Who ever can keep in the short stuff, will be there on Sunday.

 

It could be tight though, with quite a few players all with a chance to win. Don't think one guy will blow away the field.

post #162 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post

 

Apparently, people believe this is going to drastically decrease Phil's chances. I, on the other hand, really don't think that is the case. He is still going to be practicing, albeit in San Diego, but he's practicing. Phil will be Phil... I think he'll perform well and finish top 10, but not because of his Merion absence.

The ridiculous thing is not that Phil is flying back for his daughter's 8th grade graduation, it is that her school is even HAVING an 8th grade graduation.  Alas this is becoming far too common.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Official 2013 U.S. Open at Merion Discussion Thread