or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Groups › NWPA/NEOH (Pittsburgh/Erie/Cleveland) Area Golfers › Discussions › First Annual Pittsburgh/Erie/Cleveland Get-Together (August 3)

First Annual Pittsburgh/Erie/Cleveland Get-Together (August 3) - Page 7

post #109 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

5-6 hours? Dude you're gonna be gone all day. Stuff starts at 9am. Golf ends around 5 or so. Then there's dinner. :)

 

Time for him to strap on some ass kissing boots...

post #110 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

 

I don't mind looking stupid.

 

I play match play, stroke play, and scrambles. That's it. Anything else, and I'm lost.

So I looked it up and it appears you just get points depending on the score you get.

 

Points Strokes taken in relation to par
+8 points Albatross (3 strokes under par)
+5 points Eagle (2 strokes under par)
+2 points Birdie (1 stroke under par)
0 points Par
−1 point Bogey (1 stroke over par)
−3 points Double bogey or worse (2 strokes or more over par)
 

I assume, based on the 80% of handicap statement that we will be given some leeway on holes based on our handicap. Meaning that if we get a stroke a hole handicap wise a par is the same as birdie giving us the ability to keep up in points.

post #111 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

So I looked it up and it appears you just get points depending on the score you get.

 

Points Strokes taken in relation to par
+8 points Albatross (3 strokes under par)
+5 points Eagle (2 strokes under par)
+2 points Birdie (1 stroke under par)
0 points Par
−1 point Bogey (1 stroke over par)
−3 points Double bogey or worse (2 strokes or more over par)
 

I assume, based on the 80% of handicap statement that we will be given some leeway on holes based on our handicap. Meaning that if we get a stroke a hole handicap wise a par is the same as birdie giving us the ability to keep up in points.

 

Also prevents blowup holes I guess, as -3 could be a quintuple bogey. Haha.

post #112 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

 

Also prevents blowup holes I guess, as -3 could be a quintuple bogey. Haha.

Actually the rules state that once you reach what the score would be for maximum strokes you can pick up to keep pace of play going. So once someone hits +2 they can pick up because they get -3 no matter what. So it would save frustration.

post #113 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

Actually the rules state that once you reach what the score would be for maximum strokes you can pick up to keep pace of play going. So once someone hits +2 they can pick up because they get -3 no matter what. So it would save frustration.


Sounds dumb. Why you gotta be fancy, Erik? b2_tongue.gif

post #114 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post


Sounds dumb. Why you gotta be fancy, Erik? b2_tongue.gif

I believe he thinks we'll just muck up this super fancy course he's got lined up for us and embarrass him!

post #115 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

I believe he thinks we'll just muck up this super fancy course he's got lined up for us and embarrass him!

 

I can do that in any format.

post #116 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

 

I can do that in any format.

You and me both! Even though I think I may be able to get my hc down to about 18 or so by the 3rd with the improvements I've seen recently, I can just about guarantee I'll at least have some horrible holes due to being intimidated by all the better players there. Regardless I expect to have a fantastic day no matter how I golf.

post #117 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

You and me both! Even though I think I may be able to get my hc down to about 18 or so by the 3rd with the improvements I've seen recently, I can just about guarantee I'll at least have some horrible holes due to being intimidated by all the better players there. Regardless I expect to have a fantastic day no matter how I golf.

 

Intimidation and pressure doesn't bother me. If anything, it tends to help sometimes. Don't let it get to you, these guys are good guys (mostly) and it should be a pretty laid back and fun day.

post #118 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

 

Intimidation and pressure doesn't bother me. If anything, it tends to help sometimes. Don't let it get to you, these guys are good guys (mostly) and it should be a pretty laid back and fun day.

It'll be fine I'm sure, part of it will be because I won't know anyone really when I get there, but I've never been so excited for a golf outing before. Most outings I get in are simple shotgun start scrambles/best ball where you get a dinner after with some door prizes like hats and golfballs. This will be the first full day of actual golf related activities I have had a chance to take part in.

post #119 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

It'll be fine I'm sure, part of it will be because I won't know anyone really when I get there, but I've never been so excited for a golf outing before. Most outings I get in are simple shotgun start scrambles/best ball where you get a dinner after with some door prizes like hats and golfballs. This will be the first full day of actual golf related activities I have had a chance to take part in.

 

I'm just pumped to get a refresher on my previous lesson with Erik. Have him shake his head at me and tell me everything I'm doing wrong. b2_tongue.gif

post #120 of 350
Thread Starter 

Here's the deal.

 

Handicaps will be calculated for the proper tees:

 

HI * Slope / 113 * 0.8 = Handicap (rounded up or down)

 

All scores net:

Bogey = 1 point

Par = 2 points

Birdie = 3 points

Eagle = 5 points

Albatross = 8 points

 

Best 3 of 4 scores for the group.

 

In other words, if you net par every hole (i.e. shoot your handicap, though at 80% that's difficult), you get 36 (18*2). Birdies and bogeys offset each other. 80% is done because groups are discarding the worst point earner for each hole (best 3 of 4).

 

It's a very easy scoring system and it lets you pick up if you're at double or worse.

post #121 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Here's the deal.

 

Handicaps will be calculated for the proper tees:

 

HI * Slope / 113 * 0.8 = Handicap (rounded up or down)

 

All scores net:

Bogey = 1 point

Par = 2 points

Birdie = 3 points

Eagle = 5 points

Albatross = 8 points

 

Best 3 of 4 scores for the group.

 

In other words, if you net par every hole (i.e. shoot your handicap, though at 80% that's difficult), you get 36 (18*2). Birdies and bogeys offset each other. 80% is done because groups are discarding the worst point earner for each hole (best 3 of 4).

 

It's a very easy scoring system and it lets you pick up if you're at double or worse.

 

What if I hole out from 140 on a 440 yard par 5? 8 points?  b2_tongue.gif

 

Also, I don't know exactly what my HI is. Though, I assume my stated one is pretty close.

post #122 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

 

What if I hole out from 140 on a 440 yard par 5? 8 points?  b2_tongue.gif

 

Also, I don't know exactly what my HI is. Though, I assume my stated one is pretty close.

HI Handicap Index

post #123 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

HI Handicap Index

 

Thanks for the words of wisdom, but re-read my post. I know what it stands for, I don't know what mine is. lol

post #124 of 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

 

Thanks for the words of wisdom, but re-read my post. I know what it stands for, I don't know what mine is. lol

Rofl... Sorry, at work so I sneak peaks at the posts and sometimes skim over stuff!

post #125 of 350

My buddy Pat will be joining as well. He's gonna sign up for the site too, and wants to do a group lesson with me sometime in August, Erik.

post #126 of 350
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

My buddy Pat will be joining as well. He's gonna sign up for the site too, and wants to do a group lesson with me sometime in August, Erik.

 

 

  1. iacas
  2. mvmac
  3. jamo
  4. saevel25
  5. Slice of Life
  6. Spyder
  7. dave s
  8. vasaribm
  9. bkitt
  10. Jeremie Boop
  11. Pat (SoL Pal)
TheSandTrap.com › Groups › NWPA/NEOH (Pittsburgh/Erie/Cleveland) Area Golfers › Discussions › First Annual Pittsburgh/Erie/Cleveland Get-Together (August 3)