or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Groups › NWPA/NEOH (Pittsburgh/Erie/Cleveland) Area Golfers › Discussions › First Annual Pittsburgh/Erie/Cleveland Get-Together (August 3)

First Annual Pittsburgh/Erie/Cleveland Get-Together (August 3) - Page 9

post #145 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

I'm sure it'll be ok, it seems to be pretty normal for it to be horrible the first time out after a lesson because so many thoughts are going through the mind. I have enough time for some more range visits along with 2 more league nights and maybe one more regular round of golf.

 

Dude, even if you don't get it straightened out by then...I've had some of my most memorable and fun rounds golfing with friends that are just absolutely terrible. I mean, couldn't break 100 on a par 3 course bad. Just come, have a good time, and don't stress about it. No amount of work is gonna make you the best golfer there by August 3rd, so just come and have a good times.

 

I go golfing with my friend Jay occasionally, and on half the holes he just puts symbols because he says he can't count that high. lol

post #146 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

 

Dude, even if you don't get it straightened out by then...I've had some of my most memorable and fun rounds golfing with friends that are just absolutely terrible. I mean, couldn't break 100 on a par 3 course bad. Just come, have a good time, and don't stress about it. No amount of work is gonna make you the best golfer there by August 3rd, so just come and have a good times.

 

I go golfing with my friend Jay occasionally, and on half the holes he just puts symbols because he says he can't count that high. lol

ha, I fully intend on going and enjoying myself. If I hit some good shots then that's just a bonus. I'm very bad about pushing myself to get better about everything. I bowled for years and got to the point where I had a 210+ average, I played pool for years until I rarely lost a game, and now I'm focused on golf. It's probably too late to get as good as I was in the other sports but that doesn't stop me from trying! 

post #147 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

ha, I fully intend on going and enjoying myself. If I hit some good shots then that's just a bonus. I'm very bad about pushing myself to get better about everything. I bowled for years and got to the point where I had a 210+ average, I played pool for years until I rarely lost a game, and now I'm focused on golf. It's probably too late to get as good as I was in the other sports but that doesn't stop me from trying! 

It's not too late, trust me. I still get my ass kicked by people over twice my age.

I also played with fellow TST member dave s twice now and had 2 of the worst rounds that I have had in the past 2 seasons while playing with him. I'm talking 100+. I told him that he has every right to think I suck by now because absolutely nothing I have done in those 2 rounds is telling of the HC I post here and the rounds I've shot all season. Of course, he just laughed and was too busy hitting every single FIR... (bastard... c2_beer.gif). Very cool guy though!

My usual round is typically a low 80, so things happen and they happen when they happen. For the longest time, I fixed a very bad pull and it reared it's ugly ass again this past Sunday. I think I hit 2 or 3 fairways at most and had too many OB shots to count off of the tee. Of course, I never put the driver away because I was stubborn and pissed off and that happens... but I still had fun. I just laughed it off for the most part and went home and sucked down some rum n' cokes and laughed some more.


Regardless, you're going to have fun. Trust me, more than half of us will have at least a few bad shots and trees will be scarred and worms will be running. 

post #148 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post

It's not too late, trust me. I still get my ass kicked by people over twice my age.

I also played with fellow TST member dave s twice now and had 2 of the worst rounds that I have had in the past 2 seasons while playing with him. I'm talking 100+. I told him that he has every right to think I suck by now because absolutely nothing I have done in those 2 rounds is telling of the HC I post here and the rounds I've shot all season. Of course, he just laughed and was too busy hitting every single FIR... (bastard... c2_beer.gif). Very cool guy though!

My usual round is typically a low 80, so things happen and they happen when they happen. For the longest time, I fixed a very bad pull and it reared it's ugly ass again this past Sunday. I think I hit 2 or 3 fairways at most and had too many OB shots to count off of the tee. Of course, I never put the driver away because I was stubborn and pissed off and that happens... but I still had fun. I just laughed it off for the most part and went home and sucked down some rum n' cokes and laughed some more.


Regardless, you're going to have fun. Trust me, more than half of us will have at least a few bad shots and trees will be scarred and worms will be running. 

You guys don't enforce that rule about not getting passed the women's tees do you?b4_blushing.gif

post #149 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post

It's not too late, trust me. I still get my ass kicked by people over twice my age.

I also played with fellow TST member dave s twice now and had 2 of the worst rounds that I have had in the past 2 seasons while playing with him. I'm talking 100+. I told him that he has every right to think I suck by now because absolutely nothing I have done in those 2 rounds is telling of the HC I post here and the rounds I've shot all season. Of course, he just laughed and was too busy hitting every single FIR... (bastard... c2_beer.gif). Very cool guy though!

My usual round is typically a low 80, so things happen and they happen when they happen. For the longest time, I fixed a very bad pull and it reared it's ugly ass again this past Sunday. I think I hit 2 or 3 fairways at most and had too many OB shots to count off of the tee. Of course, I never put the driver away because I was stubborn and pissed off and that happens... but I still had fun. I just laughed it off for the most part and went home and sucked down some rum n' cokes and laughed some more.


Regardless, you're going to have fun. Trust me, more than half of us will have at least a few bad shots and trees will be scarred and worms will be running. 

 

You know what's funny? Last Sunday when I shot in the 80s, I hit 1 fairway. In 18 holes, 1 fairway. I had a ton of "just barely" misses, but if I could have driven the ball like I had been the past couple weeks, I might have shot high 70s haha.

post #150 of 365
I should probably tune up before the tournament. Plenty of range time, but I've only played three rounds this year.
post #151 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

So here's a tentative schedule for August 3 at Fox Meadow:

 

9am - noon - Hit KickX Irons, hybrids, woods, wedges, and an optional bit of low-cost instruction on full swing and pitching.

noon - 1pm - Eat some grill room type food (hot dogs, etc.) and warm up for the round.

1pm - 6pm - Play Fox Meadow.

6pm - 8pm - Eat at a nearby restaurant (or possibly at Fox Meadow).

 

We're fairly certain we can get the costs down quite a bit on Fox's normal green fees. Medicus founder/owner Bob Koch lives on the property and will supply a small goodie bag for all players, and a small prize to the winning team.

 

Current players are (add yourself to this list and re-post the entire list, please):

 

  1. iacas
  2. mvmac
  3. jamo
  4. saevel25
  5. Slice of Life
  6. Spyder
  7. dave s
  8. vasaribm
  9. bkitt
  10. Jeremie Boop
  11. Pat (SoL Pal)
  12. Grins

 

 

(Let's get to 16 guys - though if we get to 13 or 14 I know of two or three who can probably play).

 

Also, please make sure to add any +1 or +2 that will be playing. Ideally you'll have them join the site before we play, but if they don't want to, that's still cool - we'd love to have them out. Also, if you see anyone in the forum who is in this area, send them a PM and invite them to look at this thread.

 

Players who play in these events will have first "dibs" on playing in next year's tentative "Newport Cup" East vs. West competition.

I'm up for this.  Looking forward to some hands-on teaching of 5SK.  Count me in. 

post #152 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grins View Post

I'm up for this.  Looking forward to some hands-on teaching of 5SK.  Count me in. 

Grins, are you close to the NE OH/PA area?

post #153 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post

Grins, are you close to the NE OH/PA area?

Yep.  I live in Stow, OH.  50-55 minutes from Fox Meadow. 

 

Right now, I'm averaging 54 for 9 holes on a very tough league course (Twin Lakes) - used to be a private country club.  Greens are severely sloped and well-bunkered.  I can shoot mid-nineties when I'm playing well.  I really want to improve, and have been thinking for a while about going to Erie for a lesson, so I just can't pass on this opportunity to have some fun & learn at the same time!

post #154 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grins View Post

Yep.  I live in Stow, OH.  50-55 minutes from Fox Meadow. 

 

Right now, I'm averaging 54 for 9 holes on a very tough league course (Twin Lakes) - used to be a private country club.  Greens are severely sloped and well-bunkered.  I can shoot mid-nineties when I'm playing well.  I really want to improve, and have been thinking for a while about going to Erie for a lesson, so I just can't pass on this opportunity to have some fun & learn at the same time!

Very nice. I have a few buddies that live in Stow. Glad you're going to make it up!

post #155 of 365

Thanks Spyder,  Looking forward to it.  My golf league is individuals (no teams), and over the years I've lost almost all of my golf-playing friends (to parenthood, kids sports, etc.), so it'll be nice to meet some people who have the same interest in golf!

post #156 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grins View Post

Thanks Spyder,  Looking forward to it.  My golf league is individuals (no teams), and over the years I've lost almost all of my golf-playing friends (to parenthood, kids sports, etc.), so it'll be nice to meet some people who have the same interest in golf!

I've never had golf playing friends, just my dad and his friends.... At this point they don't play much so I end up playing solo which is boring as hell.

post #157 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

I've never had golf playing friends, just my dad and his friends.... At this point they don't play much so I end up playing solo which is boring as hell.

 

That sucks. I have a few select people I can usually count on...but none are available tonight. I may be ridin' solo...

post #158 of 365

Looking forward to it, going to be fun!

post #159 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Looking forward to it, going to be fun!

Mike, can you possibly bring a few TST fitted hats with you? I completely forgot about that until now and I do not have a PayPal Account set up. 

post #160 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post

Mike, can you possibly bring a few TST fitted hats with you? I completely forgot about that until now and I do not have a PayPal Account set up. 

 

Yep I can do that

post #161 of 365
Thread Starter 

saevel, please fill in your guest's name.

 

Very very soon now I will be making the teams, so start posting your handicaps. I've added the obvious ones:

 

Please add your full handicap index. If you don't have one, do your darn best to approximate it, keeping in mind that your handicap index is the average of your best 10 of these numbers from your last 20 rounds:

 

(Score - Course Rating) * (113/Slope) * (0.96)

 

  1. iacas - 0.0
  2. mvmac - 0.0
  3. jamo
  4. saevel25
  5. Guest (saevel25 Pal)
  6. Slice of Life
  7. Pat (SoL Pal)
  8. Spyder
  9. dave s
  10. vasaribm
  11. bkitt
  12. Jeremie Boop
  13. Grins
post #162 of 365

I have have another buddy join up if it stays cheap enough and there's room. Looks like we need 1 more anyway.

 

Plugging my scorecards into a calculator gets me right around 25. Tossing out bad ones, I'm closer to 21, so I'll go with that. I don't have 20 saved unfortunately. 

 

My buddy Pat is probably at the same level as me...we're typically within 3 shots of each other going back and forth on wins. Same with my friend Maxx if he joins up.

TheSandTrap.com › Groups › NWPA/NEOH (Pittsburgh/Erie/Cleveland) Area Golfers › Discussions › First Annual Pittsburgh/Erie/Cleveland Get-Together (August 3)