or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › "Hey! While we're young!" - USGA Pace of Play
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Hey! While we're young!" - USGA Pace of Play - Page 22

post #379 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave67az View Post

 

You know, THIS is the problem (and I'm sorry you had to be the one I quoted, 6iron.  You're not the only one guilty of this.)

 

It's about time some of you guys grew some balls.  That's what this campaign is about.  It's not just about getting slow players to play faster, it's about getting YOU, the avid golfer who both plays AND watches golf (and subsequently will see the commercials) to step up and add some peer pressure (and education) for the less experienced golfers, many of whom don't know any better.

 

The reality of the situation is that probably no less than 25% of the time, the people would be offended that you confronted them about it and may get confrontational.  And I think 25% of the time is a conservative guess.  People don't like being called out by their peers.  If somebody official-looking does it, they might grumble under their breath about it or wait til they leave to complain.  If I do it, there's just as much chance he tells me to mind my own business, chill out, he paid good money, etc., as there is he says "okay thanks, we'll do our best."

 

And it won't matter how nice or calmly you approach them.  Either way, at some point you have to ask them to play faster.  You're assessing blame, and putting it squarely on their shoulders, in front of a group of people, some of whom could be family members. Why do family members matter?  Because sometimes a father feels the need to display his manhood around his sons, etc.  And there's also some cultural barriers to this.  I've come across a group of golfers of a different nationality that became very offended when I asked to play through once.  Some consider it an effrontery to be approached that way.  In American culture, it's more about emasculation than effrontery, but it results in the same type of confrontation, more or less.

 

It's analogous to law enforcement.  Sure, any and all of us can tell that crazy guy to stop loitering or vandalizing where he shouldn't be.  In all practicality, he'll tell us to f**k off because we have no authority and he knows we can't do anything about it.

post #380 of 457

Everybody is pretty much on track and has their mind and heart in the right place. But, at the end of the day, we're not going to fix this issue until a multi-billion dollar pill that can fix stupid is invented.

Yes, we can speed up play some and to an extent by implementing some technological and staffing changes to courses. The bottom line is that some courses will not even consider these improvement overhauls though because of the cost and level of business.

Unfortunately, you just have to gripe about it and keep on keepin' on. Or, try and find a different course. I bitched about a 7 hour round that I had last Saturday, but I'm going back on Sunday morning. I just love golf and the course in question is a great links-style warm-up course that I enjoy playing prior to some big money tournaments and scrambles that are coming up.

Some people just don't have it and never will, unfortunately. That's life. I'm a realist, so I'll just continue to expect to play anywhere from 3 hour to 5.5 hour rounds, with the occasional 6-7 hour round where I do nothing but sit back, play two balls, open my wallet to the beer cart girl and admire god's sense of humor in front of me.

post #381 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

Would you want to drive around the course and get into hassles with drunk golfers for <$100 a day + free golf, I wouldn't.  Why do drivers continue to speed, run red lights, drive too slow, drive recklessly or drive drunk?  They all know the laws, they do it because they think they are above the law or they just don't care. 

 

You run into many of the same on the golf course.  These guys think because they paid their green fees they can do what they want.  Education is part of it, which is why the commercials are good and imo certainly better than sending some poor retired guy into the lions den to tell a bunch of idiots they need to pick up the pace or he's kicking them out. 


I'm sure its worse on a golf course, simply because you are not breaking any laws. The only thing you can do is to very politely ask them to let other players play through, and continue to have fun.

 

Some or most people go onto the golf course just for sun and fun, and as long as they let people play through they should be allowed to do so. This will increase the revenue of any course, as more people would play.

 

If I was retired and made $100 per day with free golf, I would do this.

post #382 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

Dave, I agree that when the situation allows, we all should help to educate people on pace of play. 

 

In an earlier post I mentioned an incident with the Ladies Golf League and the way the women in front of us played it looked more like shuffle board than golf.  When our round ended early due to lightning, they apologized for playing slow and I responded that I was new to the game too and appreciated the effort it takes to learn as well as point out that they should pick up after double par or they might encounter less friendly reactions to their play. 

 

When I played public courses I saw a mix of dads with his kids, drunken idiots, serious golfers and newbies.  With a mix like that it's hard to know who's at fault for the slow pace of play if it's not the groups immediately in front of you.  Unless you're one of the first groups out on a given day you may not ever know who caused the back up. 

 

Ultimately the course has the take the responsibility if this is going to gain any traction.  Courses are in a tough spot, they don't want altercations or lost business due to enforcing pace of play rules but at the same time they know if they don't they will likely lose the serious golfers as customers which will only compound their pace of play problems.  The police recognize that they can't stop people from violating traffic laws and they can't write everyone a ticket (at least not until cameras for speeding are deployed) so they go after the worst offenders.  People who drive 65 in a 55 are left alone but the guy driving 85 gets pulled over.

 

I think courses are going to have to do the same thing unless they use golf cart technology like Dave describes where the cart shuts down when they fall too far behind their pace.  This will require courses using gas carts to invest in electric carts, outfitting every cart with gps and the technology to shut down the cart remotely or through the gps software which is likely not a cheap solution. 

 

Your hearts in the right place and I get your point, but you have to consider that calling strangers out on slow play is not always possible or smart (personal safety).  The courses have to make it a priority, I'd feel a lot better going up to the guys in front of me and telling them they better speed up or their cart is going to die because of slow play rather then make them think this is my personal crusade to speed up pace of play. 

 

 

I know we can't always call out slow groups.  Like you said, sometimes it's better to leave well enough alone and wait until the end of the round and report them to the pro shop.

 

I'm betting it would be far cheaper to put cameras on the areas of the course that seem to be most problematic than it would be to outfit every golf cart with GPS and wireless shut-off capabilities, etc.  It would still require someone to monitor those cameras for back-ups and to send out a marshal to get groups to play faster, but I would think it's a more cost-effective solution and wouldn't raise our fees nearly as much.  Cameras don't cost much, and maintenance is minimal compared to GPS units.  Honestly, one guy sitting in the cart shop (or whatever you call the guys who take care of the carts and load/unload the clubs) and one marshal should be able to handle most problems within a few minutes.

 

What I find really stupid is that some golf courses, instead of spending money to speed up play (as we WISH they would) are doing things to SLOW IT DOWN.  I'm pretty sure cell phones don't speed up play in any way, right?  Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure they slow it down (particularly when some moron is checking his golf app before every shot).

So WHY is THIS (see below) happening???
 

Two properties are claiming firsts in golf car technology this week. Greenhorn Creek Golf Resort in Angel Camp, Calif., is the first golf course in the U.S. to provide solar-powered phone charging by mounting ultra-slim solar panels on top of golf cars. On July 27, Windy Knoll Golf Club in Springfield, Ohio will debut the first two models of Neoteric Golf’s Signature Series Hovercraft Golf Carts for use in special events.

http://www.clubandresortbusiness.com/2013/07/09/golf-cars-get-tech-makeover/


 

post #383 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave67az View Post

 

 

I know we can't always call out slow groups.  Like you said, sometimes it's better to leave well enough alone and wait until the end of the round and report them to the pro shop.

 

I'm betting it would be far cheaper to put cameras on the areas of the course that seem to be most problematic than it would be to outfit every golf cart with GPS and wireless shut-off capabilities, etc.  It would still require someone to monitor those cameras for back-ups and to send out a marshal to get groups to play faster, but I would think it's a more cost-effective solution and wouldn't raise our fees nearly as much.  Cameras don't cost much, and maintenance is minimal compared to GPS units.  Honestly, one guy sitting in the cart shop (or whatever you call the guys who take care of the carts and load/unload the clubs) and one marshal should be able to handle most problems within a few minutes.

 

What I find really stupid is that some golf courses, instead of spending money to speed up play (as we WISH they would) are doing things to SLOW IT DOWN.  I'm pretty sure cell phones don't speed up play in any way, right?  Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure they slow it down (particularly when some moron is checking his golf app before every shot).

So WHY is THIS (see below) happening???
 

Two properties are claiming firsts in golf car technology this week. Greenhorn Creek Golf Resort in Angel Camp, Calif., is the first golf course in the U.S. to provide solar-powered phone charging by mounting ultra-slim solar panels on top of golf cars. On July 27, Windy Knoll Golf Club in Springfield, Ohio will debut the first two models of Neoteric Golf’s Signature Series Hovercraft Golf Carts for use in special events.

http://www.clubandresortbusiness.com/2013/07/09/golf-cars-get-tech-makeover/


 

I agree with you, but I am definitely hitting Springfield next Summer to try out those hovercrafts... d2_doh.gif

post #384 of 457

I played a couple of weeks ago at a cow pasture course with my almost 7 yo son.  On the second tee, a 120 yard par 3, we caught up with the group in front of us, a fivesome.

 

We sat there are watched all 5 tee off, not a single one coming within 10 yards of hitting the green. 

 

They started to get in their carts are drive away, when I spoke up and said fellas, we are a twosome.

 

My comment got them arguing amongst themselves.  One guy adamantly stating if they let us play through, they would be doing that all day. 

 

I laughed and said fellas, we are playing through and will be out of your way in less than 5 minutes.

 

I teed it up and hit my wedge to about 20 feet, with them still arguing.  My son walked up to the red tees and hit his hybrid inside of Dad.  I missed my putt and my son drained his, it was a really great moment. 

post #385 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda77 View Post

I played a couple of weeks ago at a cow pasture course with my almost 7 yo son.  On the second tee, a 120 yard par 3, we caught up with the group in front of us, a fivesome.

 

We sat there are watched all 5 tee off, not a single one coming within 10 yards of hitting the green. 

 

They started to get in their carts are drive away, when I spoke up and said fellas, we are a twosome.

 

My comment got them arguing amongst themselves.  One guy adamantly stating if they let us play through, they would be doing that all day. 

 

I laughed and said fellas, we are playing through and will be out of your way in less than 5 minutes.

 

I teed it up and hit my wedge to about 20 feet, with them still arguing.  My son walked up to the red tees and hit his hybrid inside of Dad.  I missed my putt and my son drained his, it was a really great moment. 


I live for that.

post #386 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by cda77 View Post

I played a couple of weeks ago at a cow pasture course with my almost 7 yo son.  On the second tee, a 120 yard par 3, we caught up with the group in front of us, a fivesome.

 

We sat there are watched all 5 tee off, not a single one coming within 10 yards of hitting the green. 

 

They started to get in their carts are drive away, when I spoke up and said fellas, we are a twosome.

 

My comment got them arguing amongst themselves.  One guy adamantly stating if they let us play through, they would be doing that all day. 

 

I laughed and said fellas, we are playing through and will be out of your way in less than 5 minutes.

 

I teed it up and hit my wedge to about 20 feet, with them still arguing.  My son walked up to the red tees and hit his hybrid inside of Dad.  I missed my putt and my son drained his, it was a really great moment. 

 

I stand by my opinion that if 5somes are found on a golf course, there should be a drone strike in the immediate vicinity.  Stay clear.

post #387 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

 

I stand by my opinion that if 5somes are found on a golf course, there should be a drone strike in the immediate vicinity.  Stay clear.

 

I was by myself and joined up with a 4some. We finished 18 in 4 hours. 

post #388 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

I think courses are going to have to do the same thing unless they use golf cart technology like Dave describes where the cart shuts down when they fall too far behind their pace.  This will require courses using gas carts to invest in electric carts, outfitting every cart with gps and the technology to shut down the cart remotely or through the gps software which is likely not a cheap solution. 

It's actually pretty cheap and interrupt capability is the same for gas or electric. All it does is open the circuit. Courses short on cash could require people to ride and just install GPS that tracks the carts. It wouldn't have to offer any convenience features on a screen.

post #389 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

 

I stand by my opinion that if 5somes are found on a golf course, there should be a drone strike in the immediate vicinity.  Stay clear.


I think Brad politely called it "a shot across the bow" a1_smile.gif)

post #390 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

 

I stand by my opinion that if 5somes are found on a golf course, there should be a drone strike in the immediate vicinity.  Stay clear.

 

I was by myself and joined up with a 4some. We finished 18 in 4 hours. 

 

Been there - done that.  It's still the same old thing.  Slow payers cause slow golf.  Educate the players, then provide some sort of enforcement so that those educated played players know that the course takes it seriously and you will solve the problem quickly.  If you don't educate, you'll never get full compliance because you won't be taken seriously.  If players feel that they are being singled out without justification, you haven't done anything to improve the pace of play in the long run, but you have just created the potential for a bigger problem of belligerent confrontation.

post #391 of 457

The worst thing is I am probably going to be guilty of slow play this Friday.

 

What is the best advice to me to help make my playing partners move more quickly?

post #392 of 457

I don't see it as an education issue as much as the LCD generally lacks the responsibility to self-police. It's not just slow play. Courses have trouble with patrons and liquor license violations, it's a bigger problem than slow play at my former home course. Everything we do for entertainment has rules. Restaurants prefer that patrons don't let their children climb all over the place like monkeys but parents allow it to happen. Most arenas post no cameras or recording devices on the tickets sold for music events but people ignore it because they feel entitled because they paid an entry fee. The guy smoking dope at a concert knows he's not supposed to be doing it but he still does. There's something about being a small group in the middle of several hundred acres, it's the perfect setting for a douche-bag to act out. That's why you see men pissing in bushes 200 yds from a bathroom. Golf courses are an inviting venue for people that find uncouth behavior acceptable. Calling them out is only going to create problems because they don't care.

post #393 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

 

I stand by my opinion that if 5somes are found on a golf course, there should be a drone strike in the immediate vicinity.  Stay clear.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post


I think Brad politely called it "a shot across the bow" a1_smile.gif)

 

 

I think it was December of 2000, but we did that when I was active duty at Luke AFB (the largest fighter training base in the world).  The official story was a fighter-pilot-in-training "accidentally" released a practice bomb over a nearby golf course, exploding at the edge of a fairway and leaving a big black mark on the course.  Luckily nobody checked phone records, which showed a call from the course super 15 minutes before the incident.  a3_biggrin.gif

 

Never had a problem with that particular 5-some again.

post #394 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

The worst thing is I am probably going to be guilty of slow play this Friday.

 

What is the best advice to me to help make my playing partners move more quickly?

 

Find out what's slowing them down (hunting for lost balls, chatting before every shot, not taking the right clubs with them when they get out of the cart, etc).  At the turn, go into the pro shop to get a new glove (or whatever) and go back and tell them that you were warned if you don't speed up you'll be put on the course's new "slow group" list.

 

Or just start videoing their antics with your phone (if you have one with you) and tell them you're sending it in to the Golf Channel to use in their next "While We're Young" commercial.

post #395 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

I don't see it as an education issue as much as the LCD generally lacks the responsibility to self-police. It's not just slow play. Courses have trouble with patrons and liquor license violations, it's a bigger problem than slow play at my former home course. Everything we do for entertainment has rules. Restaurants prefer that patrons don't let their children climb all over the place like monkeys but parents allow it to happen. Most arenas post no cameras or recording devices on the tickets sold for music events but people ignore it because they feel entitled because they paid an entry fee. The guy smoking dope at a concert knows he's not supposed to be doing it but he still does. There's something about being a small group in the middle of several hundred acres, it's the perfect setting for a douche-bag to act out. That's why you see men pissing in bushes 200 yds from a bathroom. Golf courses are an inviting venue for people that find uncouth behavior acceptable. Calling them out is only going to create problems because they don't care.

Agreed, these years will be remembered as the Entitlement Era where everyone feels entitled to anything they want and to act however they want. 

post #396 of 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

Agreed, these years will be remembered as the Entitlement Era where everyone feels entitled to anything they want and to act however they want. 

 

Here here!

 

Something tells me if we had the foresight to see what problem we were creating when we followed the "experts" advice and taught our kids to think for themselves and not to always follow the "rules" that everyone else sets for them, maybe we would have raised them differently.  It's one thing to teach your kids to be independent and not to just follow what the crowd is doing.  Now we've got a generation that thinks they can pick and choose which rules they follow, including guidelines for pace of play.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › "Hey! While we're young!" - USGA Pace of Play