or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2013 NCAA College Football
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2013 NCAA College Football - Page 10

post #163 of 692
This is all falling right into Notre Dames hands again... "Wake up the legends boys" ...were bringing it home. a1_smile.gif
post #164 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

LSU beats Alabama, and we could be looking at FSU and OSU......

 

Maybe my Badgers back into the Rose Bowl?!

Seems like its a pretty safe bet its going to be Alabama/Florida State at this point.  But just for fun ...

 

Bama beats LSU but loses to Auburn.

FSU loses to Florida (or Miami).

Ohio State loses to Michigan.

Baylor and Stanford win out ... they meet in the National Championship game!  LOL!!

post #165 of 692
Florida State whipped Miami last week. I think it's pretty likely that we have 3 or 4 unbeatens this year.
post #166 of 692

Seemed like a great week in College football, too bad I only saw about 10 minutes in total. (I'm a contractor, so sitting on the couch after about 8 PM usually means I'll be asleep relatively quickly).

 

So is Bama that good or has LSU lost a step or 2 the last couple of years? I guess at 7-3 they've lost a step.

 

It also appears our Tommy Boy made an appearance 3 weeks earlier than I predicted against Pitt last night.  

The Stanford game may be ugly. I think "playing all the seniors" moment will come pretty early this year. :) 

Hendrix may be in by the start of the 3rd.

post #167 of 692
LSU's defense isn't the elite unit it was in the past few years. Their offense is young. I think LSU was ranked to high. SEC isn't that good this year. The only elite team in the SEC is Alabama this year, besides them the rest are pretty much mediocre. 
 
As for ND, their defense is on no legs right now. Its not good when your starting your 2 and 3 deep. 
post #168 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

You have got to be kidding me, lol.  There has been 8 teams ranked in the top 25 in the SEC this year.  And most of them have only lost to other ranked teams in the SEC. 

 

There isn't a team Ohio State has played all year that would beat Alabama, Auburn, LSU, South Carolina, or Missouri.  And if it weren't for injuries they wouldn't beat Georgia either.

 

The only other that might even give a good game is Wisconsin. 

post #169 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloverUT View Post
 

 

You have got to be kidding me, lol.  There has been 8 teams ranked in the top 25 in the SEC this year.  And most of them have only lost to other ranked teams in the SEC. 

 

Yet being ranked is a biased process. A concept in marketing is, if you say it long enough then people will start to believe it. Over the past 7 years all we have heard is, SEC is that dominant, is the best, ect... Which they have been, but that does not mean it is relevant to this year. It is only relevant to looking at last year and the previous years. 

 

If the SEC was that dominant. The old saying the best of the other conference would be the middle of the ground SEC teams. Then how come Missouri is leading an SEC division? How come Texas A&M gives Alabama all they can handle, and is running up the score on many other SEC teams? If all was true about the SEC, then these two teams should be in the middle or bottom of the SEC divisions. Now all of a sudden Missouri is being talked about like they have been in the SEC for years. They get the SEC biased bump in the polls. It is crazy. Missouri and Texas A&M weren't even the top of the Big 12 conference. 

post #170 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

Yet being ranked is a biased process. A concept in marketing is, if you say it long enough then people will start to believe it. 

I've long felt that the times ND has been ranked, they were ranked higher than they maybe should have been.  They actually moved up the rankings after beating Air Force. 

But I also don't know the super secret code and how much the strength of schedule matters.

post #171 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

Yet being ranked is a biased process. A concept in marketing is, if you say it long enough then people will start to believe it. Over the past 7 years all we have heard is, SEC is that dominant, is the best, ect... Which they have been, but that does not mean it is relevant to this year. It is only relevant to looking at last year and the previous years. 

 

If the SEC was that dominant. The old saying the best of the other conference would be the middle of the ground SEC teams. Then how come Missouri is leading an SEC division? How come Texas A&M gives Alabama all they can handle, and is running up the score on many other SEC teams? If all was true about the SEC, then these two teams should be in the middle or bottom of the SEC divisions. Now all of a sudden Missouri is being talked about like they have been in the SEC for years. They get the SEC biased bump in the polls. It is crazy. Missouri and Texas A&M weren't even the top of the Big 12 conference. 

 

You don't think Missouri and Texas A & M's recruiting hasn't been helped by them joining the SEC?  And they are ranked because they have only lost one game in the SEC which has a lot of quality teams this year.  Even Vanderbilt is doing well.

 

Ohio States in conference schedule is a combined 13-28 this year.  There are only two teams in the Big 10 worth talking about this year and that is Ohio State and Michigan State.  And yet there are at least 4 teams in the SEC who could either beat them or it would be a really close game.  (Missiouri. Bama, LSU, Auburn) and I think Texas A & M and Georgia would both give them solid games. 

 

Also, Texas A & M is in the middle of the SEC right now.  They are only ranked third in the western division and are tied for 6th overall.  Also, If it wasn't for Manziel, who is arguably one of the greatest college football players ever, A & M wouldn't even be that high. 

post #172 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloverUT View Post
 

 

You don't think Missouri and Texas A & M's recruiting hasn't been helped by them joining the SEC?  And they are ranked because they have only lost one game in the SEC which has a lot of quality teams this year.  Even Vanderbilt is doing well.

 

Ohio States in conference schedule is a combined 13-28 this year.  There are only two teams in the Big 10 worth talking about this year and that is Ohio State and Michigan State.  And yet there are at least 4 teams in the SEC who could either beat them or it would be a really close game.  (Missiouri. Bama, LSU, Auburn) and I think Texas A & M and Georgia would both give them solid games. 

 

Also, Texas A & M is in the middle of the SEC right now.  They are only ranked third in the western division and are tied for 6th overall.  Also, If it wasn't for Manziel, who is arguably one of the greatest college football players ever, A & M wouldn't even be that high. 

 

Yet, it has been shown that freshman rarely have impact on college football. Yes we have Johnny Football, he is a rarity. If you actually look at recruiting classes. The National Championship winners all have had a top 5 recruiting class 3-4 years before the won one. This means that all those recruits are juniors and seniors. In college football, athletes can make plays, but a whole team of young players will not win NC and BCS bowl games. You need a good junior and senior class. It is still all about the system, and getting use to the speed of the game.

 

Missouri and Texas A&M went to the SEC in 2012. Meaning that the only recruits on those teams that would benefit from the SEC brand are those who are freshman and sophomores. Those who don't make that big of difference overall. 

 

I am not talking about the Big Ten. Why did you go there? I am just talking about SEC versus all other conferences. 

 

Yes, Texas A&M is in the middle, but then can't I say that Alabama shouldn't be as hyped because they almost lost to A&M this year? 

post #173 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

Yet, it has been shown that freshman rarely have impact on college football. Yes we have Johnny Football, he is a rarity. If you actually look at recruiting classes. The National Championship winners all have had a top 5 recruiting class 3-4 years before the won one. This means that all those recruits are juniors and seniors. In college football, athletes can make plays, but a whole team of young players will not win NC and BCS bowl games. You need a good junior and senior class. It is still all about the system, and getting use to the speed of the game.

 

Missouri and Texas A&M went to the SEC in 2012. Meaning that the only recruits on those teams that would benefit from the SEC brand are those who are freshman and sophomores. Those who don't make that big of difference overall.

 

I am not talking about the Big Ten. Why did you go there? I am just talking about SEC versus all other conferences.

 

Yes, Texas A&M is in the middle, but then can't I say that Alabama shouldn't be as hyped because they almost lost to A&M this year?

 

Also I brought up the Big 10 because, unless I am mistaken, they are another conference outside of the SEC to make a comparision.

 

No, in fact I would say you are making my argument for me that even middle of the road SEC teams are really good and are capable of beating the best in the country.  Most other conferences have 2 really good teams where as the SEC has 4-5.

 

PAC 12: Oregon/Stanford

BIG 12: Baylor/Maybe Texas

BIG 10: Ohio State/Michigan State

ACC:     FSU/Clemson

 

SEC: Bama/Missouri/Auburn/LSU/A&M/Georgia (Prior to major injuries).

 

I would argue that the top 4 sec teams and maybe Georgia would beat or compete against the top two in every other conference.

 

Also, I think you are being a bit naieve if you think that Ohio State doesn't benefit from media bias as well.  Also, Ohio State almost lost to Wisconsin (Winning by 1 TD) and only beat Northwestern by 10, a team that is 0-5 in the Big 10 so far.  Do you think Ohio State is overhyped?  Also, do you think Wisconson or Northwestern could beat A & M?

post #174 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by c peterich View Post

This is all falling right into Notre Dames hands again... "Wake up the legends boys" ...were bringing it home. a1_smile.gif


Whoops!

post #175 of 692

Until or unless the SEC (and others) plays more difficult out of conference schedules, it's impossible to know whether they have more good teams than other conferences.

 

Missouri: Murray State, Toledo, Arkansas State

LSU: Alabama-Birmingham, Kent State, Furman

Auburn: Washington State (close win), Arkansas State, Western Carolina, Florida Atlantic

Texas A&M: Rice, Sam Houston, UTEP

 

Hopefully, strength of schedule will play a more important part in the rankings going forward.

post #176 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloverUT View Post
 

 

No, in fact I would say you are making my argument for me that even middle of the road SEC teams are really good and are capable of beating the best in the country.  Most other conferences have 2 really good teams where as the SEC has 4-5.

 

PAC 12: Oregon/Stanford

BIG 12: Baylor/Maybe Texas

BIG 10: Ohio State/Michigan State

ACC:     FSU/Clemson

 

SEC: Bama/Missouri/Auburn/LSU/A&M/Georgia (Prior to major injuries).

 

I would argue that the top 4 sec teams and maybe Georgia would beat or compete against the top two in every other conference.

 

Also, I think you are being a bit naieve if you think that Ohio State doesn't benefit from media bias as well.  Also, Ohio State almost lost to Wisconsin (Winning by 1 TD) and only beat Northwestern by 10, a team that is 0-5 in the Big 10 so far.  Do you think Ohio State is overhyped?  Also, do you think Wisconson or Northwestern could beat A & M?

 

You are exactly right! There are 1 and 2 loss teams in the SEC that could could beat just about anyone out there. As much as I hate to say this (being a Tennessee Vol fan) there is not team outside of the SEC that could beat Bama right now. The only team I see being able to compete with Bama right now is Auburn, but I still don't see Auburn winning.

 

Slover,

This has been a tough 5 years for us Vols fans! I do believe that Butch Jones will bring us back to the top of the SEC. It may be a year or so away but we'll get there. Lame and Fooley has put the University 5 steps back to where we should be right now. CBJ is really bringing in some top notch recruits right now. Hopefully we will win out to Vandy and Kentucky and go bowling. #GBO! #VFL!

post #177 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post
 

Until or unless the SEC (and others) plays more difficult out of conference schedules, it's impossible to know whether they have more good teams than other conferences.

 

Missouri: Murray State, Toledo, Arkansas State

LSU: Alabama-Birmingham, Kent State, Furman

Auburn: Washington State (close win), Arkansas State, Western Carolina, Florida Atlantic

Texas A&M: Rice, Sam Houston, UTEP

 

Hopefully, strength of schedule will play a more important part in the rankings going forward.

 

That's a pretty biased opinion considering you failed to mention:

 

All of the teams you've listed have/or will play at least 4 ranked teams. Tennessee has had one of the toughest schedules ever. They played 7 ranked teams, 5 of which were in the Top 10, the others in Top 20. Kentucky has also played a similar schedule.

 

 

Oregon- played 3 ranked teams

FSU- played 3 ranked teams

Baylor- will play 3 ranked teams

Ohio St- only 2 ranked teams

Stanford- You can make a strong argument about them , even though they have lost 1 game they have still played 5 ranked teams,

 

Its hard to play a tough out of conference schedule and get respect when the majority of the ranked teams are from the SEC.

 

I

post #178 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloverUT View Post
 

 

You don't think Missouri and Texas A & M's recruiting hasn't been helped by them joining the SEC?  And they are ranked because they have only lost one game in the SEC which has a lot of quality teams this year.  Even Vanderbilt is doing well.

 

Ohio States in conference schedule is a combined 13-28 this year.  There are only two teams in the Big 10 worth talking about this year and that is Ohio State and Michigan State.  And yet there are at least 4 teams in the SEC who could either beat them or it would be a really close game.  (Missiouri. Bama, LSU, Auburn) and I think Texas A & M and Georgia would both give them solid games. 

 

Also, Texas A & M is in the middle of the SEC right now.  They are only ranked third in the western division and are tied for 6th overall.  Also, If it wasn't for Manziel, who is arguably one of the greatest college football players ever, A & M wouldn't even be that high. 

This is always an argument I hear used in favor of the SEC, but it's weak, it's convenient, and usually a double standard.  If the bottom of the barrel teams in the SEC upset some of the better teams, then "the SEC is tough."  But if teams in the other conferences lose tough league games, then those conferences are weaker.  "Even Vanderbilt is good" because they beat Georgia.  Even though, their other three wins are against really weak basketball schools.  And you say that all other conferences only have 2 good teams.  Pac-12, for example.

 

What about UCLA?  They have 2 losses this year, to Oregon and Stanford.

Washington, 3 losses ... Oregon, Stanford, and ASU.

ASU, two losses. Stanford & Notre Dame

 

I don't have much knowledge of the other conferences, but I don't really need it.  The SEC is good, no question.  Would I argue against them being the best conference?  Nope.  I just think that the argument you present here in favor of the SEC is arbitrary, and weak.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyMac View Post
 

 

You are exactly right! There are 1 and 2 loss teams in the SEC that could could beat just about anyone out there. As much as I hate to say this (being a Tennessee Vol fan) there is not team outside of the SEC that could beat Bama right now. The only team I see being able to compete with Bama right now is Auburn, but I still don't see Auburn winning.

 

Slover,

This has been a tough 5 years for us Vols fans! I do believe that Butch Jones will bring us back to the top of the SEC. It may be a year or so away but we'll get there. Lame and Fooley has put the University 5 steps back to where we should be right now. CBJ is really bringing in some top notch recruits right now. Hopefully we will win out to Vandy and Kentucky and go bowling. #GBO! #VFL!

Really??  This comment just shows your SEC bias.  You honestly think Florida State or Ohio State or Baylor don't have a legit chance to "compete" with Alabama?  Or at least as good of a chance as Auburn?  And I'd argue that, from what I've seen this year, and specifically Thursday, that Stanford probably has the best chance of anybody at competing with Alabama.

 

Of course, "competing" with Alabama might just mean "being able to lose by only 2 touchdowns" or something like that, because they seem that good, but certainly Auburn isn't the only decent option out there to do that.

post #179 of 692
I think he meant that is left on their remaining eg season schedule golfingdad.
post #180 of 692
Also I don't think my argument is weak at all. But really I could go on and on why I think pound for pound the SEC is the best conference. But it really isn't a winnable debate and everyone is obviously entitled to their own opinion.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2013 NCAA College Football