or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2013 NCAA College Football
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2013 NCAA College Football - Page 33

post #577 of 692
Jameis Winston wins the Heisman! c3_clap.gif
post #578 of 692

In other news, the state attorney re-opens the case, or not :-P

post #579 of 692
@Golfingdad last game of the season. I expect a good game. Go Trojans!
post #580 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMPIRE View Post

@Golfingdad last game of the season. I expect a good game. Go Trojans!

The Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl?! z4_blink.gif
post #581 of 692

Have a drink and bet on it!

 

A huge mismatch. 

post #582 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

The Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl?! z4_blink.gif

USC hasn't had a bowl win since 2009. It's not where I would like them to be, but really can't complain considering what's been going on this season. Really like how they're playing now.
post #583 of 692
Nick Saban brought Lane Kiffin in to study his offense and tell him what was wrong with it.

Probably took about two minutes.

I'll never understand how somebody could be that good at running an organization and that good a defensive coach and not have a clue how to use the talent on offense.

The only way to succeed like that is to always have the far superior athletes, which he usually does...But not in the O-line this year.

BTW. Congrats to Northwest Missouri State for winning their 4th NC today!!!!!
Edited by MS256 - 12/21/13 at 6:05pm
post #584 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMPIRE View Post

USC hasn't had a bowl win since 2009. It's not where I would like them to be, but really can't complain considering what's been going on this season. Really like how they're playing now.
Sorry we haven't been able to give you a good game to this point, but yeah you're guys look pretty good so far! Our guys ... Not so much. ;)
post #585 of 692

What idiots sat around a table and said "Hmmm...Oregon against Texas should be a good matchup."

 

But then I thought the same idiots said "Hmmm...Lets put a Texas Tech team that has lost five games in a row against an Arizona State team that played for the conference championship."

 

(After a half that one doesn't look so bad after all).

post #586 of 692

What about Arizona and BC?  I am not sure how BC got into a bowl game.

post #587 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Sorry we haven't been able to give you a good game to this point, but yeah you're guys look pretty good so far! Our guys ... Not so much. ;)

 

Just saw next year's schedule and it looks like we'll meet again for our first season game. 

post #588 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMPIRE View Post

Just saw next year's schedule and it looks like we'll meet again for our first season game. 
Whoa, seriously?!?! Awesome!
post #589 of 692

Wow! What a comeback by Johnny Football.

 

Love him or hate him the guy can play.

post #590 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post
 

Wow! What a comeback by Johnny Football.

 

Love him or hate him the guy can play.

Yeah, that was pretty impressive.  Also, a fantastic play by the DB for that final touchdown.

post #591 of 692

Few random thoughts from yesterday:

 

Anybody else impressed by the offerings from the Big 10 and AAC yesterday??  Michigan State and Central Florida both looked pretty danged good to me.  Especially coming out of the "weaker" AQ conferences.

 

--------------------------------------------

 

Speaking of UCF, if Fresno State wouldn't have lost their last regular season game, they would have qualified for the BCS and almost certainly played UCF in the Fiesta Bowl.  After seeing what a mediocre (by their standards) USC team did to us in the Vegas Bowl and seeing what UCF did to a really good Baylor team yesterday, I gotta say I don't think it would have been a pretty sight for me if it played out that way.

 

--------------------------------------------

 

Interesting rules issue that they should perhaps look into changing:  Michigan State** was driving for a score and were around the 10 yard line.  The QB dropped back to pass, couldn't find anybody open, tried to scramble then throw it away as he was being tackled.  He was unable to get it to the line of scrimmage, and thus was called for intentional grounding.  However, there was also defensive holding on the play, so the penalties offset and the down was replayed.

 

I would argue that that is unfair to the offense because the defensive holding has (possibly) a direct correlation on the QB not being able to find an open receiver.  Calling both of these penalties, to me, is similar to calling offsides and false start when one guy causes the other to jump.  Or calling roughing the kicker when the guy was pushed into the kicker by a blocker.

 

Not a big deal, but the juxtaposition of the calls intrigued me somewhat.

 

**Actually, it could have been one of about 8 teams ... I watched a lot of football yesterday.  It eventually kind of melded together. ;)

post #592 of 692

Very impressed by Michigan State.  Their only loss was at Notre Dame and about 1/3 of ND's yards were off pass interference penalties.  Take away a few penalties and they're undefeated.

post #593 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Interesting rules issue that they should perhaps look into changing:  Michigan State** was driving for a score and were around the 10 yard line.  The QB dropped back to pass, couldn't find anybody open, tried to scramble then throw it away as he was being tackled.  He was unable to get it to the line of scrimmage, and thus was called for intentional grounding.  However, there was also defensive holding on the play, so the penalties offset and the down was replayed.

 

I would argue that that is unfair to the offense because the defensive holding has (possibly) a direct correlation on the QB not being able to find an open receiver.  Calling both of these penalties, to me, is similar to calling offsides and false start when one guy causes the other to jump.  Or calling roughing the kicker when the guy was pushed into the kicker by a blocker.

 

Not a big deal, but the juxtaposition of the calls intrigued me somewhat.

 

**Actually, it could have been one of about 8 teams ... I watched a lot of football yesterday.  It eventually kind of melded together. ;)

 

It was a pretty good Rose Bowl overall, but I really don't understand what Stanford kept doing in the second half. Michigan State proved that they won't be able to run against their D-Line, yet they still kept going at it. It reminded of me when Oregon and Auburn played in the title game and Oregon just kept trying to run up the gut with no luck at all. It's either Shaw was thinking that his Stanford team was going to do what they did best to get them where they were, which was running the ball, or he really didn't have much confidence in his QB. I don't have the stats in but I think Kevin Hogan becomes a mediocre passer away from home, especially in the red zone. 

post #594 of 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMPIRE View Post
 

 

It was a pretty good Rose Bowl overall, but I really don't understand what Stanford kept doing in the second half. Michigan State proved that they won't be able to run against their D-Line, yet they still kept going at it. It reminded of me when Oregon and Auburn played in the title game and Oregon just kept trying to run up the gut with no luck at all. It's either Shaw was thinking that his Stanford team was going to do what they did best to get them where they were, which was running the ball, or he really didn't have much confidence in his QB. I don't have the stats in but I think Kevin Hogan becomes a mediocre passer away from home, especially in the red zone.

Also, if Stanford DBs have softer hands they win that game.  They had 2 INTs that were dropped right in their hands with nobody else around that were dropped, as well as at least one other where it was in a guys hands (but with a receiver playing defense on him) that could have been caught.

 

But to MSUs credit ... I love seeing a team win a game with a defensive stop like that.  I mean, it wasn't at the goal line or anything, but it was still a great play.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2013 NCAA College Football