or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Why does my buddy's TaylorMade 7 iron outhit my Titleist 755 7 iron by 15-18 yards?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why does my buddy's TaylorMade 7 iron outhit my Titleist 755 7 iron by 15-18 yards? - Page 2

post #19 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

 

You might mean AP1, AP2's and 755's are similar, targeting the same segment of golfers, similar head size/shape.

I do mean AP1's, thank you.

post #20 of 31

Mike is right about most pros @47-48. Then you have Tiger who starts his pw at 50 degrees (This is early Nike, not sure if he still does). 

post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourSpoon View Post

It just means more revenue reinventing marketing strategies. So now you still get the 3 iron you can't hit and you have large gaps. So you buy an 8 iron set, buy the gap wedges, then realize you need a hybrid or 2 because your 3 iron is now a 2 iron, etc. Brilliant! 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post

 And a way to basically just sell you a 3i-9i set and force you to buy more wedges.  But they have changed the tech in the clubs, chasing higher launch in many cases.  So does the old 6i lofted 7i launch it at the angle of the old 7i or old 6i?  If it launches at the old 7i angle, then they really have just given you 15 more yards with the same trajectory!

But remember guys that most new sets of GI and SGI irons (and even ones that claim to be "players" like my i20s) come standard in 4i-Gap wedge.  So they've lowered the COG and, then consequently strengthened the lofts to keep the ball down, also allowing it to go further and boost our egos ... but its not like they are trying to trick us into buying 3 irons we don't need.

 

I have basically the same exact set I had previously, its just labeled with 4-U instead of 3-P, thats all.

post #22 of 31

My Wilson FG17 from the early 80's

 

 4, 26.0 - 5, 30.0 - 6, 34.0 - 7, 38 -.0 8, 42.0 - 9, 46.0 - PW,49.0

 

My John Letters Master Carbon from the 90's

 

4-25-.0 5-31.0 --6-35.0- 7-36.0- 8-44.0- 9-44.0- pw 47.0

 

 

 

1) All modern clubs have jacked up lofts even the "players" clubs.

2) 3 degrees difference in loft equates to approximately 9 yards of distance. How do you account for the additional 6-9 yards of distance the Taylormades "seem"/appear to have over the Titleist?

3) Why are golfers so concerned with what club someone else uses for a particular distance?

post #23 of 31

Correction

 

My John Letters Master Carbon from the 90's

 

4-25-.0 5-31.0 --6-35.0- 7-36.0- 8-44.0- 9-44.0- pw 47.0

 

 

please correct to 7 iron @ 40.0 8 iron @43.0 9 iron @ 46.0 and PW @ 49.0

 

Rushed typing errors. Thanks

post #24 of 31

Did the manufacturers increase the length of the stock iron shaft as well?  I know they did this with the stock driver in the last decade.

post #25 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo View Post

My Wilson FG17 from the early 80's

 

 4, 26.0 - 5, 30.0 - 6, 34.0 - 7, 38 -.0 8, 42.0 - 9, 46.0 - PW,49.0

 

My John Letters Master Carbon from the 90's

 

4-25-.0 5-31.0 --6-35.0- 7-36.0- 8-44.0- 9-44.0- pw 47.0

 

 

 

1) All modern clubs have jacked up lofts even the "players" clubs.

2) 3 degrees difference in loft equates to approximately 9 yards of distance. How do you account for the additional 6-9 yards of distance the Taylormades "seem"/appear to have over the Titleist?

3) Why are golfers so concerned with what club someone else uses for a particular distance?

1) I was previously unaware of this and am not amused with this finding. c4_mad.gif

2) Dunno

3) Act 1 Scene 1 (Par 3, 17th hole money game tied) "What did you hit on that shot?" "7 iron" "Ok so that means I either need a 6, 7, or 8 depending on what types of clubs each of us are using.  What is the loft of your 7 iron?"  "No idea." z4_blink.gif

post #26 of 31

I never base what I hit off of what someone else hits anyway. I just trust what the distance is and what I usually hit for that distance.
 

post #27 of 31

Yes even the players clubs now have a lower CoG, even the muscle back blades, compared to blades from the 70's/80's.  So there needs to be an adjustment to the lofts.  I really don't get why people are offended by this.

post #28 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Yes even the players clubs now have a lower CoG, even the muscle back blades, compared to blades from the 70's/80's.  So there needs to be an adjustment to the lofts.  I really don't get why people are offended by this.

It's easy to understand why people are offended if you read the posts contained herein.  Plus for anyone who doesn't split every blade of grass in golf over a golf forum, a standard measure of ball striking is "how far do you hit X club."  If you don't believe this, then see the thread on the front page of this forum.  I think it's titled "How far do you hit each of your clubs."

post #29 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post

I never base what I hit off of what someone else hits anyway. I just trust what the distance is and what I usually hit for that distance.

 

I take it strongly into consideration when elevation change and wind are both issues on the hole. Or distance of hazards, carry water, etc. And now I know that I should be more careful lol.
post #30 of 31

If you asked another player about their  club selection then you would also incur a two stroke penalty.

Regardless; I am one who does need "jacked" lofts and all the other game improvement technologies.

Age and health has caught up to me. 30 years ago my 4 iron carry was 205. Today my 4 iron carry is 180. Go figure LOL c2_beer.gif

post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post


I take it strongly into consideration when elevation change and wind are both issues on the hole. Or distance of hazards, carry water, etc. And now I know that I should be more careful lol.

That may work for you, if you play with the same people a lot and trust that they know the distance they hit their clubs etc. Unfortunately, that's not the case for me.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Why does my buddy's TaylorMade 7 iron outhit my Titleist 755 7 iron by 15-18 yards?