or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Haney's comments on Tiger after US Open
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Haney's comments on Tiger after US Open - Page 2

post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBrew View Post

Looked up Tiger's numbers from the 2010 US Open (under Haney) and the 2013 US Open (under Foley) just for comparison. Also threw in Tour rankings for the year as well. 

2010 US Open - Fairways hit: 69.64%
                        GIR: 59.72%

2010 Tour - Fairways hit: 57.21%
                  GIR: 64% (167th)

2013 US Open - Fairways hit: 69.64%
                        GIR: 65.28%

2012 Tour - Fairways hit: 63.93%
                 GIR: 67.58% (32nd)

By these numbers, it looks like Tiger is playing better under Foley. Looks like Haney may be talking out of his ass. 

2010 not exactly Tiger's best year on tour. Compare 2006 or 2007.
post #20 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-troop View Post


2010 not exactly Tiger's best year on tour. Compare 2006 or 2007.

2007 Tour Stats:

 

GIR: 71% (1st)

Fairways hit: 59.83% (152nd)

 

2006 Tour Stats:

 

GIR: 74.15% (1st)

Fairways hit: 60.71% (139th)

post #21 of 34

Low class move by Haney to be talking about Tiger or Foley.

post #22 of 34
I don't see the big deal. Sure he has tried to make a profit from coaching Tiger in the past, so what? Who wouldn't? Butch Harmon still does the same thing too. All I see is Haney criticizing Tiger's preparation for majors and his play. Think of it what you want, but it's just someone's opinions. I'm not saying I love the guy because I don't it just seems ridiculous that anyone that critiques Tiger is considered the antichrist.
post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturday View Post

I don't see the big deal. Sure he has tried to make a profit from coaching Tiger in the past, so what? Who wouldn't? Butch Harmon still does the same thing too. All I see is Haney criticizing Tiger's preparation for majors and his play. Think of it what you want, but it's just someone's opinions. I'm not saying I love the guy because I don't it just seems ridiculous that anyone that critiques Tiger is considered the antichrist.

I can see your point, the question for me is their motivation.  If we're discussing Tiger and we point out some negative things about his game, it's harmless banter between SandTrappers.  When guys like Hank, Brandel, Miceli do it, they aren't doing it to assist Tiger they are simply using Tigers name to self-promote themselves. 

 

Hank has no insight to Tigers preparation for a Major under Foley.  He's not coaching any pro's, he's not friends with Tiger or Foley.  The sole purpose of the comments is to get some additional followers on Twitter and get his name in some headlines on golf sites so he can remain relevant in the sport and keep his endorsement gig going. 

post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

I can see your point, the question for me is their motivation.  If we're discussing Tiger and we point out some negative things about his game, it's harmless banter between SandTrappers.  When guys like Hank, Brandel, Miceli do it, they aren't doing it to assist Tiger they are simply using Tigers name to self-promote themselves. 

Hank has no insight to Tigers preparation for a Major under Foley.  He's not coaching any pro's, he's not friends with Tiger or Foley.  The sole purpose of the comments is to get some additional followers on Twitter and get his name in some headlines on golf sites so he can remain relevant in the sport and keep his endorsement gig going. 
Fair enough, you make a good point. Guess I didn't look at it that way when I first read about it. Haney doesn't know Tiger's preparation now under Foley so I can see why it would annoy some.
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

  When guys like Hank, Brandel, Miceli do it, they aren't doing it to assist Tiger they are simply using Tigers name to self-promote themselves. 

This is the root of the problem. Hank is trying to stay on the golf map by using Tigers name. He shouldn't do that.

post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchepp View Post

This is the root of the problem. Hank is trying to stay on the golf map by using Tigers name. He shouldn't do that.
Who is Haney coaching now do we know? He's been pretty rogue lately besides his random Tiger comments.
post #27 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturday View Post


Who is Haney coaching now do we know? He's been pretty rogue lately besides his random Tiger comments.

 

Haney has sworn off coaching Tour Pros. 

post #28 of 34

Who is Hank Haney??

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

e2_whistling.gif

 

(joking)

 

Hank has had his day in the limelight ... he is reaching now with comments.

post #29 of 34

Being the coach to the greatest golfer that has ever played comes the promise of having a franchise built on being Tiger's coach. Hank certainly has the credentials to be one of the gurus of swing and most likely has made his share of money from his schools. I think that he damaged his brand by coming out with his book and his recent negative commentary because it comes off as sour grapes. It's too bad that he didn't take a more positive spin because he could be seen in a different light. Sure he has the Haney Project and the Haney Ranch, but he also has the notoriety of being somewhat of a whiner. He could have been so much more. 

post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchepp View Post

This is the root of the problem. Hank is trying to stay on the golf map by using Tigers name. He shouldn't do that.


Well its working, he made the news, and is the instigator of many a forum thread...e2_whistling.gif

post #31 of 34
Well, if all arms and no body is a swing system, I guess Haney has a method for making a boatload of money. The students keep coming until they figure out that he is nothing but a charlatan with a good set of eyes for a golf swing
post #32 of 34

Haney is just trying to stay relevant...even though he is not. He has absolutely no clue what Tiger's pre-Major routine is. 

post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-troop View Post


2010 not exactly Tiger's best year on tour. Compare 2006 or 2007.

Really? Compare a young athlete at the top of his game to what he is 6 or 7 years later and then extrapolate that the respective coaches are responsible for any decline in the numbers? 

 

Even Tiger is not that much of a machine (and neither is anyone else) that his numbers from any era can be plugged into the coach he had at the time to see which was the best.

 

That being the case the question would have to be if Tiger would be better under Haney now (after the injuries and the baggage) than under Foley. Unfortunately that can't be answered.

 

It would be like Weeb Ewbank saying he was a better coach than Chuck Knox because Joe Namath was a better player when he played for him, and ignoring the fact that Knox had him a dozen knee surguries and years later. (A little exaggerated because Tiger's not at the end of his rope yet...But he's not the spring chicken Hank had either).

post #34 of 34
Nothing that you wrote in any way refuted my one-sentence post. Did you read the post I was responding to?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Haney's comments on Tiger after US Open