or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Colin007)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (Colin007)

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

I've been Playing Golf for:​ 12 years

My current handicap index or average score is: Mid 80s on an average round, low 80s on a good round.  Almost never over 90.

My typical ball flight is: Lol...a two way miss.  Irons are strong part of my game, pretty straight, with minimal curve either way.  With the driver it can be a push slice or a straight ball or a nice pull hook.

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Driver inconsistency.

 


 

 

This swing was somewhat off balance at the end, but more typical than not with the past parallel/across the line crap at the top, minor goat-humping, and chicken-winging it after impact.  The shot itself started out straight and then hooked left.  I was aiming at one of the signs in the middle of that clump of signs.

post #2 of 25

They told me Hunter S. Thompson was dead!

post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 

I'll hump a goat, but I'm no pederast!!  LOL...

post #4 of 25

Couple of quick observations.

 

-- You're aiming your feet and body well right of your target line.

 

-- Head is raising up a bit and backing out (away from the ball) a lot.

 

 

-- Relates (as you mentioned) to where you're getting to at the top. Arms are traveling too far, throwing right shoulder blade too far around and right elbow too far behind you. Need to try and feel more like your "3/4 swing" position on the left.

 

 

Because everything is so far behind you, and the club's so far across the line, you have to get the shaft really steep in transition in order to get the right elbow back in front. Then you have to back up like crazy to shallow out your angle of attack into the ball, and that move tends to throw your path out to the right (although this particular swing looks like a little bit of a pull to me). Anyway, quite a lot to manage with acceptable consistency! 

 

Last thing, just for future reference, the camera should shoot down the toe line, ideally. Looks like you have it down the alignment stick? Throws the perspective off.

post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 

thanks stretch, that is spot on.  i knew something didnt look right about the camera angle...i think it has something to do with why my feet look pointed right, although they definitely are - maybe not quite as much as they appear to be but they still are, thats an easy fix.

 

i have always struggled with overswinging.  i go to what feels like half way and and club is still wrapped around my head.  i am pretty flexible so its so easy for me to get to that position but as you said, it forces me to compensate in so many ways to just make solid contact...i suck so bad...

 

pushing the hips forward without raising the head up and back is also difficult for me to grasp...the head just wants to move up.  is this called early extension?

post #6 of 25

Doh.... Stretch just called you out like he did me ~ 1yr ago.  Don't worry though Collin, the road to fixing these issues is *easy

 

 

*denotes sarcasm f3_laugh.gif

post #7 of 25

Don't get too worked up about early extension, because it's not your big issue. Yes, your butt is coming off the wall a bit, but that's more a reaction to the upper body movement (i.e. head pulling back) than it is an active pushing of the hips towards the ball -- which is the classic goat hump. If anything (and a face-on view would confirm) you are probably still too much in flexion through impact -- right and left knees look pretty bent and right heel is still firmly planted. You can think of this as your "golf subconscious" adding in left components to counteract the big right component that you need to have to avoid sticking the club in the ground.

 

 

post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

 Don't worry though Collin, the road to fixing these issues is easy

 

Course it is. That's why I've totally eliminated all of my own and will be an excellent each-way bet at the next major championship. e2_whistling.gif

post #9 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

Don't get too worked up about early extension, because it's not your big issue. Yes, your butt is coming off the wall a bit, but that's more a reaction to the upper body movement (i.e. head pulling back) than it is an active pushing of the hips towards the ball -- which is the classic goat hump. If anything (and a face-on view would confirm) you are probably still too much in flexion through impact -- right and left knees look pretty bent and right heel is still firmly planted. You can think of this as your "golf subconscious" adding in left components to counteract the big right component that you need to have to avoid sticking the club in the ground.




So how do I combat this? Actively think about pushing my head down thru impact?
post #10 of 25
You can do this yourself at home against a wall in your house. Just make practice swings. (They use a tree but you get the idea.)

I think you need to think about a steeper shoulder turn as well. Maybe thinking of starting the down swing getting the right shoulder down to the ball.
post #11 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchepp View Post

Maybe thinking of starting the down swing getting the right shoulder down to the ball.

 

but i feel as though if i try to get the right shoulder down quicker im going to get stuck on the downswing, im trying to get my arms down faster so that i dont get stuck.

 

stretch - what do you mean by "left" and "right" components?

post #12 of 25

Collin, sign up for Evolvr.  They will take good care of you and give you the priority pieces to work on.  You're a regular on the board, many of us are using Evolvr and seeing positive results.

 

While Stretch has identified some of the flaws during the impact interval... You'll need to clean up other pieces so that you can get into the appropriate positions and alignments to significantly improve your ball striking.  Evolvr will give you the priorities, and drills to ingrain them into your swing pattern.

post #13 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

Collin, sign up for Evolvr.  They will take good care of you and give you the priority pieces to work on.  You're a regular on the board, many of us are using Evolvr and seeing positive results.

While Stretch has identified some of the flaws during the impact interval... You'll need to clean up other pieces so that you can get into the appropriate positions and alignments to significantly improve your ball striking.  Evolvr will give you the priorities, and drills to ingrain them into your swing pattern.


Yes, that is something that I have wanted to do for a long time. I think it's a matter of figuring out how to upload from my good camera... And also being so frustrated knowing some of my faults (overswinging, flipping...) but not feeling them at all. What I feel like is a half swing is a full swing and what feels like a full swing looks exactly the same....
post #14 of 25

Colin, you have some of the same swing faults as me but have managed to parlay them into much better scores through experience and practice. I bet you could really see huge improvements with Evolvr. 

 

First things first though, record your opposite swing!

 

http://thesandtrap.com/t/67219/show-us-your-opposite-swing

post #15 of 25
Thread Starter 

So I had the old lady with me yesterday when i went to the range and she had her iPad with her, so i thought "what the hell" and here is more abomination.  god i hate myself.  just kill me now.  i am the flip-master flippopotomus...

 

 

face on:

 

 

 

DTL

this one doesnt start untill about 33 seconds in.  sorry.

 

post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

So I had the old lady with me yesterday when i went to the range and she had her iPad with her, so i thought "what the hell" and here is more abomination.  god i hate myself.  just kill me now.  i am the flip-master flippopotomus...


face on:





DTL
this one doesnt start untill about 33 seconds in.  sorry.



I don't know, man. Looks like there's a lot of good stuff in these swings.
post #17 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

I don't know, man. Looks like there's a lot of good stuff in these swings.

Only if you're a gay goat... Ugh... I have always struggled with the flipping and the humping. I get away with it on the woods and the longer irons, but with my swing speed I should be able to hit a 9 iron farther than 135...
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

Only if you're a gay goat... Ugh... I have always struggled with the flipping and the humping. I get away with it on the woods and the longer irons, but with my swing speed I should be able to hit a 9 iron farther than 135...

 

Uhm, not so much, no:

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Colin007)