or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Jeremie Boop)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (Jeremie Boop) - Page 15

post #253 of 515
Thread Starter 

I forgot to mention I was shredding the ball a lot last night, as in there were pieces of the cover in the grooves of my irons quite often. I haven't done that in years, back when I had significant backspin on most of my approach shots and I used to watch the ball spin back after landing most of the time. Now, I don't know if this is an indicator that I'm getting more of an inline impact or not. I'm curious if this could be a good indicator or just a "whatever" thing that really means nothing.

post #254 of 515

Sorry it took me a while to see this. We have one of our junior camps this week, so the last 2 days have been pretty long. 

 

Anyways, I agree with what Erik said. The door frame idea and the stick drill are great ways to practice. Find the feel/drill that works for you and run with it.

post #255 of 515
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrian View Post
 

Sorry it took me a while to see this. We have one of our junior camps this week, so the last 2 days have been pretty long. 

 

Anyways, I agree with what Erik said. The door frame idea and the stick drill are great ways to practice. Find the feel/drill that works for you and run with it.

Thanks Brian. Just like you said it isn't seeming too difficult to implement. I've found that if I focus on my left knee bending straight forward over my toes it keeps me centered. I'll keep focusing on the drill and hopefully have an updated video posted next week.

 

*edit as a side note, I've noticed a distinct increase in the amount of times I've found ball cover shavings in the grooves of my shorter irons which seems to indicate more of a downward strike on the ball?*

post #256 of 515

I would like to say that I just read through most of this thread and it is really inspiring to see someone go from asking to have the thread deleted to what I see in your last videos.  So many people helping and you taking the advice to improve your game.  I started reading these forums about 18 months ago and just recently feel like I want to contribute.  Now I participate in conversations and have my swings uploaded. 

 

Sorry if this is off topic but it is really cool to see what happened over the course of a year.  This is why TST is so great

post #257 of 515
Thread Starter 
Yes, it sometimes takes a bit to realize that there is no "quick fix" to the golf swing and originally I thought there was. Once you understand it's a process it's easy to accept that you aren't going to get better overnight. I still struggle with having bad streaks but I can see the improvement in my swing so I know better scores will come. Thanks for stopping by and looking through my thread!
post #258 of 515
Thread Starter 

Tonight went great until the last 2 holes. Duffed both tee shots, recovered well the 2nd to last hole and got away with a bogey. Last hole didn't get away with it. Ended up behind a big tree guarding the green and tried to go over it, clipped a branch and shot into water. 3 putted for 8.. shot 44 and was only 4 over through 7..... Lost 5 strokes on 2 holes. I also missed 3 5 foot ish putts by an inch. But, I'm very happy with the round because I was only 4 over through 7. Progress.

 

4 pars 3 bogeys 1 double and 1 quad.

post #259 of 515
Nice! Could you have gone under the tree?
post #260 of 515
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSpackler View Post

Nice! Could you have gone under the tree?

No, unfortunately. I was too far back to go under it. I could have played wide right of the green but I didn't think I'd catch the tree. The ball just was about 5 feet right of my target line and caught the limb. Just bad luck.

post #261 of 515
Thread Starter 

Well, played Kittyhawk Eagle yesterday... The over all score wasn't too great, but I was still happy about the round in general. I had a lot of really good shots. I dropped a lot of shots with misread putts, couldn't get out of the sand traps well, and the rough was much more "grabby" than I was used too and cause some chips to come up way short. One super blow up hole on the back, par 5 tee shot just didn't fit my eye well and the whole hole went down the drain from there. The length of the course at 6700 wasn't even close to an issue I was nGiR a lot but didn't really take advantage being there as well as I have been. Weather permitting I'll be at the range to record updated swings to send in to evolvr and hopefully be able to move to my next piece.

post #262 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

Well, played Kittyhawk Eagle yesterday... The over all score wasn't too great, but I was still happy about the round in general. I had a lot of really good shots. I dropped a lot of shots with misread putts, couldn't get out of the sand traps well, and the rough was much more "grabby" than I was used too and cause some chips to come up way short. One super blow up hole on the back, par 5 tee shot just didn't fit my eye well and the whole hole went down the drain from there. The length of the course at 6700 wasn't even close to an issue I was nGiR a lot but didn't really take advantage being there as well as I have been. Weather permitting I'll be at the range to record updated swings to send in to evolvr and hopefully be able to move to my next piece.

 

6700 yards is long, don't kid yourself. 

post #263 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

Well, played Kittyhawk Eagle yesterday... The over all score wasn't too great, but I was still happy about the round in general. I had a lot of really good shots. I dropped a lot of shots with misread putts, couldn't get out of the sand traps well, and the rough was much more "grabby" than I was used too and cause some chips to come up way short. One super blow up hole on the back, par 5 tee shot just didn't fit my eye well and the whole hole went down the drain from there. The length of the course at 6700 wasn't even close to an issue I was nGiR a lot but didn't really take advantage being there as well as I have been. Weather permitting I'll be at the range to record updated swings to send in to evolvr and hopefully be able to move to my next piece.

 

6700 yards is long, don't kid yourself. 

 

I agree with @Slice of Life .  6700 is very long for an amateur.  I play around 6,000, although I am think about moving back one set to 6250.

post #264 of 515
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
 

 

6700 yards is long, don't kid yourself. 

I didn't struggle getting near the green though, which is why I didn't feel like the length of the course caused me any trouble. My dropped shots were duffed chips/bad putts/ bad tee shots. I understand that it's a longer course in general, it's just that the length wasn't what caused my score.

post #265 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

I didn't struggle getting near the green though, which is why I didn't feel like the length of the course caused me any trouble. My dropped shots were duffed chips/bad putts/ bad tee shots. I understand that it's a longer course in general, it's just that the length wasn't what caused my score.

 

See the bold? With a shorter course, perhaps on some of the bad tee shot holes, you wouldn't be hitting driver and would have been "safe"...and on the duffed chips, you may have been hitting a wedge to the green instead of a 6 iron, and would have been putting instead of chipping. Length can definitely affect it more than you think.

post #266 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
 

 

See the bold? With a shorter course, perhaps on some of the bad tee shot holes, you wouldn't be hitting driver and would have been "safe"...and on the duffed chips, you may have been hitting a wedge to the green instead of a 6 iron, and would have been putting instead of chipping. Length can definitely affect it more than you think.

 

 

Nah, you hit driver at the Eagle. You either have the White tees at 6700, or the Red tees at 5700. Really there isn't much trouble you can get off the tee. Holes 5, 16 are non-driver holes for @Jeremie Boop from the white tees. The rest are pretty much bombs away with out much worry of trees or bunkers if you aim right. Nothing really tight or threatening. 

post #267 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

 

Nah, you hit driver at the Eagle. You either have the White tees at 6700, or the Red tees at 5700. Really there isn't much trouble you can get off the tee. Holes 5, 16 are non-driver holes for @Jeremie Boop from the white tees. The rest are pretty much bombs away with out much worry of trees or bunkers if you aim right. Nothing really tight or threatening. 

 

This is my point. For a 15+ handicap....every tee shot with a driver is threatening. I can slice it two fairways over, I promise you lol

 

Give me a 6000 yard course and a 7000 yard course. Even if the 7000 yard course is "easier", I'll score better at the 6000 yarder because I'll be teeing off with my hybrid, an iron, or my 3 wood on pretty much every hole. Which means the chances of OB penalties or unplayable shots drop significantly.

post #268 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

 

Nah, you hit driver at the Eagle. You either have the White tees at 6700, or the Red tees at 5700. Really there isn't much trouble you can get off the tee. Holes 5, 16 are non-driver holes for @Jeremie Boop from the white tees. The rest are pretty much bombs away with out much worry of trees or bunkers if you aim right. Nothing really tight or threatening. 


You forgot about the Gold tees. I forget what the yardage is, but I played those with the old farts in league last Tuesday. You don't hit driver on #5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
 

 

This is my point. For a 15+ handicap....every tee shot with a driver is threatening. I can slice it two fairways over, I promise you lol

 

Give me a 6000 yard course and a 7000 yard course. Even if the 7000 yard course is "easier", I'll score better at the 6000 yarder because I'll be teeing off with my hybrid, an iron, or my 3 wood on pretty much every hole. Which means the chances of OB penalties or unplayable shots drop significantly.

 

Having played with @Jeremie Boop, his driver doesn't get him in too much trouble. It mistreats him from time to time, but not enough to leave it in the bag. I would tend to agree if he was hitting it all over the course.

post #269 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
 

 

This is my point. For a 15+ handicap....every tee shot with a driver is threatening. I can slice it two fairways over, I promise you lol

That doesn't really have much to do with handicap, it has a lot more to do with the size of your shot zone.  I've seen Matt's driver shot zone - it's 125 yards wide!!! - and I don't think there are many people out there from scratch to 30 that could have a much wider shot zone than his.  If it's "bombs away" for him, then its likely bombs away for everybody. :beer:

 

After reading LSW and starting to apply everything, and also starting to pay a lot more attention to other people and their decisions, there is waaaaaay more teeing off with clubs other than driver than there should be.

post #270 of 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

That doesn't really have much to do with handicap, it has a lot more to do with the size of your shot zone.  I've seen Matt's driver shot zone - it's 125 yards wide!!! - and I don't think there are many people out there from scratch to 30 that could have a much wider shot zone than his.  If it's "bombs away" for him, then its likely bombs away for everybody. :beer:

 

After reading LSW and starting to apply everything, and also starting to pay a lot more attention to other people and their decisions, there is waaaaaay more teeing off with clubs other than driver than there should be.

 

 

Yea, still looking into that one. Added a few more data points (up to 37 drives now), the Shot Zone has gotten smaller. Depends on the day, like Sunday I had a 6 out of 12 drives that were not more than 15 yards off the target line. Then the other six ranged from 30-50 yards off target . So I am not sure if I should include some of the BIG block shots to the right or not. When I was developing my Shot Zone, I am one shot short of 80% inclusion, and my shot area is now down to +/- 40 yards. So 80 yard spread. I do say my big miss is the BIG block right. There are a lot more big misses that way. 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSpackler View Post
 


You forgot about the Gold tees. I forget what the yardage is, but I played those with the old farts in league last Tuesday. You don't hit driver on #5?

 

 

 

Yea it isn't on the scorecard online. I play from the whites. 

 

Yea I don't play #5 with a driver. That water on the right comes into play way too much. If I am left, then I am driving right into a thick set of trees. I rather lay back on that hole. Really I don't like that hole, very much :-P

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Jeremie Boop)