or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Performance somewhat older drivers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Performance somewhat older drivers

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Last week my second hand Titleist 905T driver arrived. I did'nt need the driver, cause I play a Titleist 910 D2 and I am happy how I play it. But I was curious and the price was only $ 67,-. After playing a couple of rounds I am even more pleased with the 905T. So, the 910 D2 goes out the bag and the 905T is in. Am I just lucky to find and older driver performing better, or is newer not better? Specs Titleist 905T 400cc head 9.5 loft Harmon Tour Design CB stiff shaft (65 gr) Titleist 910 D2 460cc 9.5 loft (8.5-10.5) Aldila RIP stiff shaft (60 gr)
post #2 of 21
If you read a review of a driver and it says "this is a great driver; long and forgiving", it will not become a bad driver, short and unforgiving when the new models come along next year. Sure, there are technological advances and blah blah blah blah blah. But go look at the USGA's stats on how far the average amateur drives the ball compared to 5, 10 years ago using all the New! Improved! technology.

Get a fitted club, swing it correctly, and you won't care (or notice) how old it is, what brand it is, or even any of the multi-million dollar ad campaigns assuring you that you won't be satisfied with your penis until you own the new model that their sponsored tour pro hits 4 yards farther with a 120 mph swing speed.

Seriously, that's all it is. You weren't "just lucky". A good penis is a good penis forever.

(Until the shaft loses its stiffness, of course....)
post #3 of 21

I think in previous models shafts where shorter because off this it just might be that you hit these drivers better or feel as if there easier to control.

Due to recent technology they can make shafts lighter club heads lighter so they make shafts longer, to maximize distance. 

post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDutch View Post

Last week my second hand Titleist 905T driver arrived. I did'nt need the driver, cause I play a Titleist 910 D2 and I am happy how I play it. But I was curious and the price was only $ 67,-. After playing a couple of rounds I am even more pleased with the 905T. So, the 910 D2 goes out the bag and the 905T is in. Am I just lucky to find and older driver performing better, or is newer not better? Specs Titleist 905T 400cc head 9.5 loft Harmon Tour Design CB stiff shaft (65 gr) Titleist 910 D2 460cc 9.5 loft (8.5-10.5) Aldila RIP stiff shaft (60 gr)

I am headed in the same direction.  I replaced the 910 D2 in my bag with a Callaway X Hot 3Deep because it was a smaller head and shorter shaft than the Titleist. 

 

Last month I ordered a Titleist 975J and have been trying it out on the range.  The head size and shaft length is in between the 3Deep and the 910 which makes it the best of both worlds for me.  I'm hitting the 975J with about 20 yards more carry than my 3Deep and much more consistently than the 910. 

 

I know the 460cc head size and longer shaft is supposed to provide more forgiveness and distance but it doesn't seem to work as well for me as the smaller / shorter drivers of the past. 

post #5 of 21

I went through a Cobra S3, Cobra AMP, Cobra AMP Cell, TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0, TM RocketBallz and Cobra ZL Encore driver before I fell into the Titleist 910 D3 and fell in love. The smaller head and classic pear shaped head, paired with the 9.5 loft and every setting I'll ever need is amazing. I was really pissed to know that I passed up this club for years before succumbing to the Titleist fan club. I do not see me replacing this club any time soon at all, unless it is for a new 913 on a whim.

post #6 of 21

Unfortunately I never had the funds to really buy clubs on a whim until recently so I have literally be stuck with hand me downs or borrowed club from a friend that was a hand me down as well. 

Drivers I have hit so far

King Cobra 360cc: Max I ever hit this was 300 yards, it went straight when I put a good swing on it.

King Cobra 440cc: I could crush this driver, when hit straight I would hit this thing 300+ all day, but misses were very very unforgiving and a slice or duck hook happened more times than I like to admit

Taylor Made Burner 460cc: This is by far the best driver I have used. Misses aren't terrible and it has the longest flight time and good roll out. I wouldn't even dream of replacing it except its not mine. My friend is letting me use it because he got a RocketBallz for free and didn't need the Burner anymore. 

 

I think as far as distance Its not much, Accuracy with a proper swing is roughly the same too. I think the new technology is better at covering misses than the older clubs are though. 

 

So I am finally going to buy my first driver and the Titleist 913 D2 is at the top of my list along with the Callaway X Hot and Cobra Amp Cell (in Orange)

post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev 0 View Post

Unfortunately I never had the funds to really buy clubs on a whim until recently so I have literally be stuck with hand me downs or borrowed club from a friend that was a hand me down as well. 

Drivers I have hit so far

King Cobra 360cc: Max I ever hit this was 300 yards, it went straight when I put a good swing on it.

King Cobra 440cc: I could crush this driver, when hit straight I would hit this thing 300+ all day, but misses were very very unforgiving and a slice or duck hook happened more times than I like to admit

Taylor Made Burner 460cc: This is by far the best driver I have used. Misses aren't terrible and it has the longest flight time and good roll out. I wouldn't even dream of replacing it except its not mine. My friend is letting me use it because he got a RocketBallz for free and didn't need the Burner anymore. 

 

I think as far as distance Its not much, Accuracy with a proper swing is roughly the same too. I think the new technology is better at covering misses than the older clubs are though. 

 

So I am finally going to buy my first driver and the Titleist 913 D2 is at the top of my list along with the Callaway X Hot and Cobra Amp Cell (in Orange)

Make sure you try them out. Personally, I am now a Titleist fan and have hit nothing but Cobra for the past 3 years. I am actually looking to unload my S2s for cheap so that I can justify buying a new set of AP1s. I do like my AMP 3W though and I am in no hurry to replace that.

I also have a Cobra S3 driver that I am willing to sell cheap. Played for one season and basically in 9/10 condition. Let me know if you're interested. Not trying to solicit a sale here or anything, but the thing has sat on a rack for over 6 months now.

post #8 of 21

I recently went from a Mizuno JPX-800 drive to a Nike SQ and honestly, couldnt be happier.  I do hit the Nike a little bit shorter but find it much easier to control.  Im not all that convinced that the new heads outperform the old ones, they are just putting longer shafts on them to allow you to hit the ball farther.

post #9 of 21

fwiw, I can bang an old persimmon driver just as far as a 460. Another thing I noticed, that if the persimmon does fade off to the right, its usually not far from the fairway, whereas if I mishit the 460 it is usually in deep trouble. When I am striking the persimmon well, I seem to be able to shape shots better.  Heck, even the Burner Bubble I used to have carried about as far as the new drivers.

post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post

Make sure you try them out. Personally, I am now a Titleist fan and have hit nothing but Cobra for the past 3 years. I am actually looking to unload my S2s for cheap so that I can justify buying a new set of AP1s. I do like my AMP 3W though and I am in no hurry to replace that.

I also have a Cobra S3 driver that I am willing to sell cheap. Played for one season and basically in 9/10 condition. Let me know if you're interested. Not trying to solicit a sale here or anything, but the thing has sat on a rack for over 6 months now.

Thank You for the offer and I am very tempted, but I think this will need to be a new driver. Just something about that brand new club feel knowing no one has ever hit it before. As soon as I sell off some of my old hobby stuff I foresee a long day at Haggin Oaks getting fitted for the correct driver. 

post #11 of 21

As i'm waiting for my new woods to arrive and my R11 woods are sold already i had a sponsor game yesterday, i borrowed the old woods from a friend. Cobra S9-1 ProD with matrix shaft stiff. i did really well with them. was bombing it twice past the 300 yard marker.

I now really hope my new ordered woods perform the same.  

post #12 of 21

I just switched back to my old R5 over the last year's Rocketballz driver.

 

Sometimes old is good.
 

post #13 of 21
My father has a 3 wood that is made of wood... Loves that thing...

I started on the 460cc, etc. Bought a starter set, then replaced it club by club to build a set I really love. My driver is now a 2010 model (burner Superfast), won't be changing it anytime soon...
post #14 of 21

I just played a round with some buddies.  One hasn't played in many years(at least 15 plus) and I assumed he would suck.  He showed up with his old set of club and while having trouble getting the short game back, by the 3rd hole he launched a drive with what I thought was a 3 wood.  I had a beautiful draw to it and just kept going.  Granted it was downhill and down wind but he outdrove all of our new 460s by a good 40-50 yards.  I marked my GPS that can measure shots and he hit that thing 317 yards.  I commented how he outdrove us with his 3 wood and he said it was his original Big Bertha Warbird.  I wouldn't put a 460 head in hands for anything because he crushed drives all day with that thing.  I later found out he was pretty good on his HS golf team and hadn't lost his swing after all these years.  When his short game returns he'll easily wipe me.

post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchshot View Post

My father has a 3 wood that is made of wood... Loves that thing...

I started on the 460cc, etc. Bought a starter set, then replaced it club by club to build a set I really love. My driver is now a 2010 model (burner Superfast), won't be changing it anytime soon...

Yah, mentioned before, but using those old woods is fun and arguably will help you become a better ball striker owing to the smaller sweet spot. I also feel that you are more able to shape shots owing to the "gear" effect. OTOH, the newer drivers with much better technology. M.O.I., changeable  weights, loft adjustments give players many options.  I don't think I hit the newer clubs all that much further though. I currently have an old persimmon four wood as well as two different low profile Olimar Tri-metals (love those things).  It doesn't mean I leave my R7 and RBZ at home though, I just remove a couple of long irons if necessary to stay "legal". (well, not always as there have been occasions when I carried 15).

post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintcreek6412 View Post

I just played a round with some buddies.  One hasn't played in many years(at least 15 plus) and I assumed he would suck.  He showed up with his old set of club and while having trouble getting the short game back, by the 3rd hole he launched a drive with what I thought was a 3 wood.  I had a beautiful draw to it and just kept going.  Granted it was downhill and down wind but he outdrove all of our new 460s by a good 40-50 yards.  I marked my GPS that can measure shots and he hit that thing 317 yards.  I commented how he outdrove us with his 3 wood and he said it was his original Big Bertha Warbird.  I wouldn't put a 460 head in hands for anything because he crushed drives all day with that thing.  I later found out he was pretty good on his HS golf team and hadn't lost his swing after all these years.  When his short game returns he'll easily wipe me.

 

Get him that tee shirt   "Old guys rule". (assuming he qualifies)

post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintcreek6412 View Post

I just played a round with some buddies.  One hasn't played in many years(at least 15 plus) and I assumed he would suck.  He showed up with his old set of club and while having trouble getting the short game back, by the 3rd hole he launched a drive with what I thought was a 3 wood.  I had a beautiful draw to it and just kept going.  Granted it was downhill and down wind but he outdrove all of our new 460s by a good 40-50 yards.  I marked my GPS that can measure shots and he hit that thing 317 yards.  I commented how he outdrove us with his 3 wood and he said it was his original Big Bertha Warbird.  I wouldn't put a 460 head in hands for anything because he crushed drives all day with that thing.  I later found out he was pretty good on his HS golf team and hadn't lost his swing after all these years.  When his short game returns he'll easily wipe me.

My uncle came out to play with my father and I last summer... Same thing, all ancient clubs, no problem sticking with us just fine...

Will say this though, my buddy started with old clubs, hit them long, but his game got a lot straighter when he got a new 460cc.
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvk77 View Post

I think in previous models shafts where shorter because off this it just might be that you hit these drivers better or feel as if there easier to control.

Due to recent technology they can make shafts lighter club heads lighter so they make shafts longer, to maximize distance. 

I thought this was a good point.  Drivers in days gone by were about 44" and now they tend more toward 46".   This is OK for some but for others it leads to lost of control and a lot of shots out of the rough. I won't argue that the technology that permits the longer driver is not a good thing, it is for some.  But if you're having trouble keeping it in the short grass you might seek out a club fitter and see if the longer driver is meant for you.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Performance somewhat older drivers