or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Where did you meet the people you golf with?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where did you meet the people you golf with?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

The reason I am asking is because I seem to have a horrible time finding playing partners.  I assume a lot of people have gotten together with friends previous to golf and their friendship continued onto the course.  Unfortunately for me, the only person I am previously friends with/related to that play golf is my brother.  None of my current friends/co-workers are interested in playing due to a variety of reasons.  So I generally golf with my brother when he is interested but I definitely play more often than he does so that leaves me as a single often. 

 

On the course I am have been paired up with several individuals and almost all of them have been successful outings.  Everyone seemed to have a good time and no major personality conflicts.  None of these have developed into future meetings though for whatever reason.  One of the biggest obstacles I face seems to be ago, especially when I try to play in leagues or best ball outings.  It seems that for the most part the age of golfers I meet in this area are 55-60+ and I am 31.  They don't seem very interested in meeting newer players because they already have their foursomes set or at the least a group of set people they play with. 

 

So what ways have you found to find other golfers who are at the same interest level as you?  I generally play single and while it certainly doesn't bother me I do like to group up ever so often for a chance of pace. 

post #2 of 14

I'm in somewhat of the same boat, but i've been able to find a few people to play with by just discussing golf with my neighbors, etc. Now I play with one of my neighbors, my brother, my nephew, etc. Cast a wide enough net, and I'm sure you'll find people to golf with. Also, be willing to teach people the game and you'll find even more people to play with....lots of fold would enjoy playing if they had someone to play with/teach them....

Good luck!

post #3 of 14

I have a couple of different groups:

 

1.  Members of the courses I'm a member of.  We have normal times each week where people just show up and play.

 

2.  I carry alot of people out to the course for work.. and sometimes they turn into golf buddies.

 

3.  I've met most of my current social golf crew simply from random pairings on the golf course.

post #4 of 14

I can only think of one person who I played with on a regular basis that I didn't meet on the golf course.  He and I met as beginning whitewater kayakers, and we discovered that we loved golf too.  Everyone else except my brother was met when I joined a group as a single.  I eventually joined the men's club at my public course, but I already knew a quarter of the 200 guys in the club by the time I joined, just from playing with groups which included them.  

 

Just try and join up with short handed groups on the weekend and be a good playing companion (meaning learn good etiquette, have at least a workman's understanding of the rules, and play at a good pace) and you will make friends and get invitations to join them in future rounds.  That is far and away the best way to meet people who play golf.

post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloverUT View Post

  I assume a lot of people have gotten together with friends previous to golf and their friendship continued onto the course.  Unfortunately for me, the only person I am previously friends with/related to that play golf is my brother.  None of my current friends/co-workers are interested.

 

So what ways have you found to find other golfers who are at the same interest level as you?  I generally play single and while it certainly doesn't bother me I do like to group up ever so often for a chance of pace. 

 

The best way in your case is to develop a regular playing routine.   Show up at the same time every weekend......eventually you'll find a regular group , I've had an annual pass different public courses over the past many years.  I always play early on the weekends, so it was always easy to fall into a regular group.  I just changed courses in 2013 and I already found a new group.   I know if I show up at 630am....they'll be there.  I found a regular group the same exact way at my previous home courses. 

post #6 of 14

Never really thought about it. Anytime I changed courses I usually play in the regular money games at the course. I don't know about other places but around here all of them either have a daily or weekly choose up game. Doesn't take long to get to know all of the people.

 

I'm not much on planning ahead to play a round with somebody because I never know for sure what my schedule is but if I have a little time I can usually hang around the clubhouse for a little while and somebody I know will usually show up.

 

It's getting to where I really don't have any interest in playing alone. No matter how well I play, nobody sees, and nobody cares. Funny because I'm not usually one to care about what other people think but it's nice to at least be able to hear a "Nice eagle" every now and then.

post #7 of 14

The first tee box. 

post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

Never really thought about it. Anytime I changed courses I usually play in the regular money games at the course. I don't know about other places but around here all of them either have a daily or weekly choose up game. Doesn't take long to get to know all of the people.

 

I'm not much on planning ahead to play a round with somebody because I never know for sure what my schedule is but if I have a little time I can usually hang around the clubhouse for a little while and somebody I know will usually show up.

 

It's getting to where I really don't have any interest in playing alone. No matter how well I play, nobody sees, and nobody cares. Funny because I'm not usually one to care about what other people think but it's nice to at least be able to hear a "Nice eagle" every now and then.

 

I also tried to do the money game thing to meet people.  The only problem I ran into with this was that most of the courses here had them early in the morning through the week, which is well suited for the retired folk.  Since I still work this was an issue I couldn't overcome, lol.

post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut View Post

 

The best way in your case is to develop a regular playing routine.   Show up at the same time every weekend......eventually you'll find a regular group , I've had an annual pass different public courses over the past many years.  I always play early on the weekends, so it was always easy to fall into a regular group.  I just changed courses in 2013 and I already found a new group.   I know if I show up at 630am....they'll be there.  I found a regular group the same exact way at my previous home courses. 

This. When I had a regular group this is exactly how I met them. Even if they were on the tee, if they saw my car pull up, they'd wait for me, and vice versa. I have a different job now, so I don't play with them anymore.

 

The guy I play most often with now I met at work. None of my friends my age play golf seriously yet. I figure by the time they all take up the game I'll have a serious leg up on them in terms of experience.

post #10 of 14

You may need more than "one group" to get started. I know the problems you're having. I'm 62, and a couple of the Sacred Foursomes would rather play with three than let in an outsider.

 

I got a good friend from work interested in playing golf, but he's not as committed as I am. He cancels about half the time we have a round scheduled. And, my home and home course is in Illinois, about 30 miles from where I work in Missouri. So, I probably need a group on both sides of the river.

 

If you could find two other people, you would have a threesome. This would make you popular with area starters, because they could always drop a single in with the Big Three. If you can play a couple of times a week, you might need a Tuesday three and a Saturday three.

 

Use networking to put together your threesome/foursome. Tell your local starters you're looking for a game. Do any people from at work/ OR / your industry play golf? If a game doesn't find you, go hunt one down.

post #11 of 14

High school. We actually never golfed while we were in school, but once college rolled around, we started.

post #12 of 14

I married and made mine... My usual partner is the wifey. Other wise my sons or daughter. I know guys with regular games. I'm definately jealous. Just waiting for the invite. I've always wanted a group of golfing buddies and a regular cash game.

post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeramydavid View Post

I married and made mine... My usual partner is the wifey. Other wise my sons or daughter. I know guys with regular games. I'm definately jealous. Just waiting for the invite. I've always wanted a group of golfing buddies and a regular cash game.

 

lol, Well I made one as well he is still just a bit young.  I take my 5 year old with me all the time and love it.  I need to find playing partners I can beat.. he is too good for me!

post #14 of 14

My main golfing buddies I met through this site!  Beachcomber and I met at the fitting we were both invited to at Callaway with mvmac.  Then at the first Socal Golfers Outing, I met the other half of our foursome, Pakoh and Golfswine. :)  We now regularly play together as much as is humanly possible ... which is probably once a week, on average, with any two of us, and once a month or so where all four of us get together for a round.  (The three of them played this afternoon, as a matter of fact, although my sorry butt had to work today. :()

 

I also play a somewhat regular game with my dad and father-in-law when my parents come in to town for a visit, which is about every three weeks.

 

My newest golfing "buddy" I met by chance.  Went out solo a couple of weeks ago and hooked up with another single and a two-some.  Had a very enjoyable round and beers afterwards.  Three days later I was playing the same course with another buddy, and just by chance, got paired up with one of the same guys from the two-some.  We got to chatting, and it turns out he's a contractor that has done numerous projects with the engineering firm where I work.  I get a message a week later at work from him inviting me to golf again ... and since then we've played a couple more rounds together. :)

 

Lastly, since my brother got back into the game in the last year or so, I'll play a couple of rounds with him whenever I go home for a visit, or whenever he comes down here.

 

The bottom line is, just like in dating, just get out there and meet people!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Where did you meet the people you golf with?