or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › First Albatross
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Albatross - Page 3

post #37 of 48

Hmmmmm.

 

Congratulations on scoring a 2 in your scramble and holing out from longer than I've ever holed out from (that I can remember).

post #38 of 48

Guys, do not abuse the thumbs up system to "thumb up" posts that have little to no content (particularly if that little content is basically name-calling). Thumbs up should be reserved for insightful comments, not just things you agree with or like. This isn't Facebook.

 

More here.

 

Quote:

To hand out positive reputation, which I am encouraging all members to do when they encounter a post that makes a well-reasoned point or goes above and beyond to provide great content… You should not click the thumbs up button for posts simply because you agree with them unless they're also a high-quality post. In other words, please do not treat "thumbs up" like Facebook "Likes" or just "thumb up" posts with which you agree or which just make a joke but provide little in the way of content. We're not trying to identify people who think like others, we're trying to use reputation to identify those who post quality content.

post #39 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Like others (including myself) have said previously ... even if you do use all of your shots, there is a different frame of mind in a scramble than when playing a regular round.  If you are like me, you are caring less, and thus are relaxed more.  Not to mention, half the time, there is no stress at all because you know its likely somebody else will (or already has) put one in the fairway and you can just rare back and try something crazy.

 

If you were last to hit and all of your partners hit their tee shots OB, and again on the second shot you were last to hit and all of your teammates hit theirs into the pond on the left, then maybe your nerves would be at a level close to that of a regular round.  But, regardless, even if they are all of your shots, its still not quite the same.

 

I don't get this argument.  Nowhere do the golf records say "this shot doesn't count because someone had a different frame of mind."  What if someone went out completely high and got a hole in one, does it not count then?  Does it matter if you say that you going to just go play a round and not keep score and drop a 2 on a 5 or if you are stressing yourself out the hole round and drop a 2 on a par 5. 

 

Here's the sequence (I was playing 3rd).  My best friend tees off and pulls a low grass burner off the heel that goes about 35 yards.  His uncle tees off and hits one down the middle about 200 yards.  I tee off and hit one over the right bunker to where I did.  Our fourth tees off and blasts one over the bunker through the fairway and into the water.  We get to my ball.  My best friend hits a shot off to the right that is about 60 yards short of the green.  His uncle hits and pulls a low grass burner to the left that is about 60 yard short of the green.  I debated between PW and 9-iron, finally decided on PW and knocked it in.  I'm not sure that "how you feel" going into the shot should matter in the overall result.

ole.  Didn't move beside that.  Come play the 490 yard par 5 at my home course and I guarantee you will have to hit driver three wood to even have a chance to get to the green in two.  It

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno View Post

Yes I post on the top.

If you are playing an executive course and hole out from 70 yards is it really a hole in one? Kinda. But not really. What if youre playing it in a scramble?

He played a par four that was mismarked from those tees as a par five because he should not have been playing from those tees. If you play a 200-yard par "four" from the womens tees is it an eagle if you get a 2 when it plays 300 from the blue tees and has a pond in front (that you can easily clear with a 4iron or something?)?

Like I said congrats on the eagle but I wouldn't go around bragging about my albatross just like I dont go around bragging about the many aces ive got playing the par three course where I used to live.

 

I some times wonder why I take 6 month breaks from posting on this site at times, and then idiots like you spark my memory. lmao

post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackster View Post

I find it incredibly odd that I made a thread the other day about holing out and how I had never had a good one and today I carded my first albatross.  I was playing in a charity scramble.  I took a risky tee shot and aimed one right over a bunker and it payed off.  We ended up choosing my drive.  From about 140 yards out I hit a pitching wedge that started in front of the green and rolled 40 feet to the back of the green and into the cup.  Was by far the most shocking golf moment of my life!

Trackster there sure seems to be a lot of discussion regarding this,  i will just say Congratulations!

post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackster View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Like others (including myself) have said previously ... even if you do use all of your shots, there is a different frame of mind in a scramble than when playing a regular round.  If you are like me, you are caring less, and thus are relaxed more.  Not to mention, half the time, there is no stress at all because you know its likely somebody else will (or already has) put one in the fairway and you can just rare back and try something crazy.

 

If you were last to hit and all of your partners hit their tee shots OB, and again on the second shot you were last to hit and all of your teammates hit theirs into the pond on the left, then maybe your nerves would be at a level close to that of a regular round.  But, regardless, even if they are all of your shots, its still not quite the same.

 

I don't get this argument.  Nowhere do the golf records say "this shot doesn't count because someone had a different frame of mind."

 

But the golf records do say you have to be playing by the official rules of golf for records to count. And scrambles are not played by the official rules of golf.

 

You had an amazing 2 shots, and I have no problem with you calling it an albatross, but there is a lot less pressure hitting shots in a scramble.

post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacm3bill View Post


No one has said par should change based on handicap. I'm saying the tees he played from were appropriate for his handicap, in that the length of the hole was a legitimate par 5 for his handicap.
lol, not true. That's basically what Phil is saying. You have to determine each time you go out which holes the course has labeled incorrectly based on your own abilities. If you're a 12 handicap who can occasionally pop one out there past 300 then you have to adjust all par 5 holes under 500 to par 4s, and all par 3s under 120 to par 2.5s I guess?
post #43 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacm3bill View Post

 

But the golf records do say you have to be playing by the official rules of golf for records to count. And scrambles are not played by the official rules of golf.

 

You had an amazing 2 shots, and I have no problem with you calling it an albatross, but there is a lot less pressure hitting shots in a scramble.

 

But technically I did play by the official rules didn't I.  I hit my ball to a spot, hit the ball from that spot and it went into the hole.  What rule did I break?  I get the argument but it just doesn't hold.

 

Sure there was a lot of pressure.  We were 7 under going into hole 9 and I am a competitive person.  We had two shots from 140 out that had not even come close to the green.  I was arguably the best iron player of our 4.  There is water on the left and bunkers on the right. 

 

What does pressure matter anyway.  Do my weekday rounds not count because I am not sweating buckets after doubling the 4th hole?

post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

I don't care if you're stoned, confused, ... or playing left-handed.
Hey, what's this about comparing being stoned, confused or left-handed, and being put in the same context?

I resemble that remark b2_tongue.gif)
post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

P.S. The "frame of mind" argument is complete and utter crap IMO. Who cares if you're drunk - if you get a birdie, you got a birdie. I don't care if you're stoned, confused, sleepy, competing, showing off, goofing off, or playing left-handed.
Really? Maybe I just explained it wrong then. For me, it's totally different if I'm hitting a drive on a par 5 and I know that somebody on my team already hit one out there 250 in the fairway. No pressure now ... I can go ahead and try and cut the corner or swing like happy Gilmore if I want and still be totally relaxed while doing it. Same is true, to a lesser extent if there are still teammates to hit behind me. So even if I hit all the shots, the feat would still be a little less "mine" than if I was playing a regular round of golf. That's all I meant.
post #46 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Really? Maybe I just explained it wrong then. For me, it's totally different if I'm hitting a drive on a par 5 and I know that somebody on my team already hit one out there 250 in the fairway. No pressure now ... I can go ahead and try and cut the corner or swing like happy Gilmore if I want and still be totally relaxed while doing it. Same is true, to a lesser extent if there are still teammates to hit behind me. So even if I hit all the shots, the feat would still be a little less "mine" than if I was playing a regular round of golf. That's all I meant.
 

I dunno. You still DID it, you know what I mean? If I get a hole in one playing a casual round with you, Drew, it's still a hole in one. It may not be a "tournament" hole in one, but who draws that line?

post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

I dunno. You still DID it, you know what I mean? If I get a hole in one playing a casual round with you, Drew, it's still a hole in one. It may not be a "tournament" hole in one, but who draws that line?

Yeah, that's true.  Here is an example to further illustrate my train of thought:  A par 3 over water with a pin tucked reallllly close to the water.  By myself, I'd take the extra club and shoot for the middle/back of the green just to make sure I cleared the water.  In a scramble, if somebody on my team is already on the middle of the green, then I'm going for the flag.  So if I happen to make a hole in one there, in my head I know that it's a hole in one I would never make (unless by accident) in a regular round.

 

Now, that said, if I'm being honest and I do that, I am counting it as a hole in one.  So, I guess .... you're right, frame of mind doesn't matter. :)  You still hit the shots.

post #48 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Yeah, that's true.  Here is an example to further illustrate my train of thought:  A par 3 over water with a pin tucked reallllly close to the water.  By myself, I'd take the extra club and shoot for the middle/back of the green just to make sure I cleared the water.  In a scramble, if somebody on my team is already on the middle of the green, then I'm going for the flag.  So if I happen to make a hole in one there, in my head I know that it's a hole in one I would never make (unless by accident) in a regular round.

 

Now, that said, if I'm being honest and I do that, I am counting it as a hole in one.  So, I guess .... you're right, frame of mind doesn't matter. :)  You still hit the shots.

 

I would always just say: "I got a hole in one in a scramble once...it felt great."

 

That way there's no debate. You've already put the disclaimer in there. Haha.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › First Albatross