or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Broke 90. life is good.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Broke 90. life is good. - Page 2

post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by madolive3 View Post


First time playing the course. It is an easy course, we played from the blues, I think the rating was 114.


Still, quite an achievement. Congratulations, again. I hope to hear that you are doing this more often a1_smile.gif)

 

I still need to break through my mental barriers with my home course a4_sad.gif)

post #20 of 34

My first time breaking 90 I shot an 83. I shot an even par after 9 holes and then my normal self kicked in and shot a 10 over on the back. I was -3 after the first 5 holes! My handicap dropped down to a 12.5 after that round, but now it's slowly working it's way back up to reality.

post #21 of 34

Closest I've come to breaking 90 is a 93 with a few mulligans...But I'll continue working on my game and hope to break it this season.

post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMullenCPA View Post

My handicap dropped down to a 12.5 after that round, but now it's slowly working it's way back up to reality.

 

Ha! It is really something else what a really good round can do to the cap.  I had a spell last fall where I hit in the 80's 4 of 5 rounds - and one of them was an 82 on a tough course.  So I went form like a 20+ to a 16.x all of a sudden.  Then I returned to normal and felt like a jackass when having to tell people I was a 16.

 

I think the funniest part was when I went to enter the first good score, the GHIN system actually threw an error and said "Are you sure you shot this?  This is not normal for you."  AKA - you ain't that good.

post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey View Post

Ha! It is really something else what a really good round can do to the cap.  I had a spell last fall where I hit in the 80's 4 of 5 rounds - and one of them was an 82 on a tough course.  So I went form like a 20+ to a 16.x all of a sudden.  Then I returned to normal and felt like a jackass when having to tell people I was a 16.

I think the funniest part was when I went to enter the first good score, the GHIN system actually threw an error and said "Are you sure you shot this?  This is not normal for you."  AKA - you ain't that good.


a1_smile.gif
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGolf View Post

Closest I've come to breaking 90 is a 93 with a few mulligans...But I'll continue working on my game and hope to break it this season.

 

This might be off topic, and I am not speaking directly to GatorGolf - as I have seen this language a lot.  And this is obviously just my opinion as there are many threads that get into the whole 'playing by the rules' issue - which is a separate issue.  

 

But I believe that if you are good enough to hit in the 90's AND you are going to claim a certain score - you should go ahead and tell the real score.  Saying "I shot 95, but I had a mulligan." just seems like saying, "I shot 97."  People deciding on their own to follow a certain set of criteria to have a game between the group is fine - but it shouldn't transfer out of that scenario.  If you ever tell someone at the office that you shot a 95, you should have shot a 95.  There are no mulligans in a 95 and all penalty strokes go into a 95, etc.  And I think if a player starts treating the scores this way, they will feel way better about their scores - good and bad.  Ball down in the only way to score.  It's the manly thing to do. 

 

I'd love it if scores could be depended on when talking to people.  But in my experience, one man's 87 is another's 94.  Once you start taking mulligans, that score only matters to that group on that day.  If you are talking about a mulligan-laden score, what is the point of talking about it at all unless you are talking to someone who played by the exact same exceptions you played by to get that score?  There is nothing wrong with knowing exactly how good you did.  Golf is a super hard game and breaking 100 is not easy.  There is no shame in having a bad one - everyone has experienced this.

 

Just my unsolicited 2 cents.

post #25 of 34

I have to agree, whiskey. That's why I can't say I've broken 90, the only time I ever carded in the 80's, I used a mulligan, and if I hadn't, I probably would have shot 90 or 91.

post #26 of 34
Not everyone plays by the rules, and I agree with whiskey as well.

I threw out a round today, because I could not use the card and fellow players to attest my score. The other scores on the card were incorrect. I didn't score well anyway, but couldn't turn it in.

In short, we had a great time, and I am thankful I did not break 90 today.
post #27 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

I have to agree, whiskey. That's why I can't say I've broken 90, the only time I ever carded in the 80's, I used a mulligan, and if I hadn't, I probably would have shot 90 or 91.


That day on the first hole my playing partner told me to "take another one" after I hit into trees off the first tee. I told him no, "i'm keeping score". He didn't realize I was serious and working on my handicap. To me it's just an 89 if it's really an 89. I'm so glad I didn't take that Muligan now, my 89 would have meant nothing.

post #28 of 34

Breaking 90 without mulligan or cheating is a huge achievement.  Congrats!

 

( Breaking 80 will be a lot tougher. )

post #29 of 34
Kick ass!
post #30 of 34

Hey bud, I joined you today! Shot an 87!!!

post #31 of 34

same here, shot an 88 today -- life is good!!

post #32 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyJeeBiv View Post

same here, shot an 88 today -- life is good!!

 

Baller! It's a good day! Congrats man!!!

post #33 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

 

Baller! It's a good day! Congrats man!!!

 

same to you, man!!  

 

saw your post in the What'd You Shoot Today thread, sounds like yours was a little more roller-coaster like than mine -- mostly pars/bogeys for me.  a good kind of 'boring'.

post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyJeeBiv View Post

 

same to you, man!!  

 

saw your post in the What'd You Shoot Today thread, sounds like yours was a little more roller-coaster like than mine -- mostly pars/bogeys for me.  a good kind of 'boring'.

 

Haha, yeah I took advantages of good opportunities. Only hit 3 greens, but made two of the birdie putts...lot of up and downs for par. Only 3 holes over bogey though, so not too too roller coaster-y. 

 

I'll take par/bogey golf all day long.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Broke 90. life is good.