or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What is an Albatross? (OT Stuff from "First Albatross" Thread)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is an Albatross? (OT Stuff from "First Albatross" Thread) - Page 2

post #19 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescarecrow View Post

 

  No no no.............You are changing the FACT..............Fact is, a two on a par 5................Be sure next time you play from the ladies tee's , we are kept up to date with your progress.


He's a +3.4 handicap. I am sure if he played from the ladies tees he has a good chance to ace a par 4.

 

However, I agree that it was still a par 5.

post #20 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGleno View Post

Like 10 at Riviera or like a 350-yard hole from the back tees that plays at 245 yards from the women's tees? Short par fours designed as such will have features that add risk-reward and will make most players lay up this hole had none of that it was a par four called a par five because he played from the wrong tees. The scorecard might say it was a par five but thats for old guys or women and if I were the OP I would not go around bragging about my albatross. But hey let me tell you about the eagle I made when I played a par four from the womens tees at 195 yards.


I think as a +3.4 handicap, you might be viewing things differently.

 

I still think the OP made an Albatross, but I would not compare it to Bubba Watson's Albatross.

post #21 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGleno View Post

But hey let me tell you about the eagle I made when I played a par four from the womens tees at 195 yards.


With an 8 iron-putter, probably? a1_smile.gif

post #22 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

 

Ain't that the truth

post #23 of 82

I wasn't aware that a score with the tees moved up required an asterisk. Especially if it was moved up by the tournament officials.

 

When the PGA moves the tee up so a par 4 is playing at 290 they still call it a birdie when they make one. I assume they also call it an albatross when the tee is up on a par 5 if they make one.

 

All we can do in a tournament is play the course the way it's set up.

 

I wouldn't be running out and buying myself a plaque in honor of it (like a friend of mine did) but I wouldn't be ashamed to call it an albatross either. I would figure it's not my fault that it played short, and I still hit the shots.

post #24 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post


When the PGA moves the tee up so a par 4 is playing at 290 they still call it a birdie when they make one. I assume they also call it an albatross when the tee is up on a par 5 if they make one.

All we can do in a tournament is play the course the way it's set up.

I tend to agree.

Of course, it's a shame that it didn't happen while playing a round of golf....... a2_wink.gif
post #25 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

I tend to agree.

Of course, it's a shame that it didn't happen while playing a round of golf....... a2_wink.gif

That was my thought. It was a scramble. I don't count any of my scramble rounds into my birdie stats (I.e. we use all my shots for the birdie..).

Anyway you slice it, though, a hole-out from 140 is pretty cool.
post #26 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r View Post


I don't count any of my scramble rounds into my birdie stats (I.e. we use all my shots for the birdie..).

I don't either. The main reason I don't is that many times I wouldn't have hit the same shot, or taken the same chances, if I was playing my own ball on my own.

 

That said, I've been playing like crap lately in scrambles anyway. We have a 9 hole scramble (well actually it's a double low ball shamble) after our Saturday round. I'm always trying to hit the ball too far and messing it up. Not much other choice though. It's pointless to hit a really nice 275 yard tee shot when a teammate already has one longer than that in the fairway. Nothing to lose by taking a whack at it (except maybe the ball). a3_biggrin.gif

post #27 of 82

Unreal. Some of you guys are real a-holes. 

 

First, 475 yards is not a "medium length" par 4 for an amateur golfer. There are plenty of par 5s near me where the furthest tees are just under 500 yards on a par 5. It happens. Sometimes they factor course difficulty in on top of distance.

 

Either way, a 2 on a par 5 is an albatross, regardless of whether or not it's long enough for you. You want longer par 5s? Design and manage a course...I'm positive nobody will play it, mostly because it'll be run by an asshat.

post #28 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

I wasn't aware that a score with the tees moved up required an asterisk. Especially if it was moved up by the tournament officials.

 

When the PGA moves the tee up so a par 4 is playing at 290 they still call it a birdie when they make one. I assume they also call it an albatross when the tee is up on a par 5 if they make one.

 

All we can do in a tournament is play the course the way it's set up.

 

I wouldn't be running out and buying myself a plaque in honor of it (like a friend of mine did) but I wouldn't be ashamed to call it an albatross either. I would figure it's not my fault that it played short, and I still hit the shots.

Exactly.  And its funny you use that number (290) because it reminds me of Torrey #14 at the US Open.  A 435 yard par 4 Thursday and Friday, and a 285-290 yard par 4 Saturday and Sunday.  I don't recall if they discounted the birdies on Saturday or Sunday, but perhaps somebody could refresh my memory? ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Of course, it's a shame that it didn't happen while playing a round of golf....... a2_wink.gif

This is a legitimate point, however.  If I am playing in a scramble, usually I'm hitting last with the idea that if somebody else is in the fairway already, I can relax and try to bomb one.  My frame of mind and nerves are totally different when I'm playing alone for my own score.

 

Regardless, it was a 2 on a 5 and is a great accomplishment!

 

And I actually commend OP for the presumptuous title!  Confidence is great, I love it!!!

post #29 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGleno View Post

It's only a par five if you're playing the right tees for your distance. For him it was a par four-Or do you guys claim to make eagles all the time playing 275-yard par "fours" from the womens tees?

Call it an albatross if you liek I think it was a nice eagle. If he had 140 in and didn't ride a cart path then its not a par five and the hole doesnt have any architectural stuff to make it a par five either.

 

So if I play the same hole and had 220 left after my drive would that be a more convincing shot for you.  Lets not give any credit to the 320 + yard drive I hit to set my self up with 140 to go.  While It was probably short for me being a par 5 it would be the longest par 4 that I have ever played. (if that makes sense).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

Very ambitious of you to entitle the thread "first" albatross. a1_smile.gif

Well I thought that this one was so cool why not get another one in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGleno View Post

Claim it as an albatross all you want, doesn't change the fact that it was an eagle. But I'll be sure to play from the ladies tees next round and tell you all about my awesome round of eagles, albatrosses, and two-putt birdies galore. Congrats on your albatross playing from tees designed to be played by the geriatric crowd.

Yes because you consistently hole out 470 yard holes in two?  Give me a break I don't care if your handicap is where it is.  Go play the ladies tees and please video all of your albatrosses.  I would like to see another one!! They are pretty cool (I take it your bitterness is the fact that you haven't gotten one yet)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGleno View Post

Like 10 at Riviera or like a 350-yard hole from the back tees that plays at 245 yards from the women's tees? Short par fours designed as such will have features that add risk-reward and will make most players lay up this hole had none of that it was a par four called a par five because he played from the wrong tees. The scorecard might say it was a par five but thats for old guys or women and if I were the OP I would not go around bragging about my albatross. But hey let me tell you about the eagle I made when I played a par four from the womens tees at 195 yards.

 

And you have seen this hole?  The biggest risk reward was playing right over the bunker on my tee shot.  Water runs all the way up the left side all the way to the green.  Not sure what you are getting at with all these women's tee box talk.  Please tell me about a 470 yard hole out in 2 you had, like i've said I would like to hear/see another one!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS256 View Post

I don't either. The main reason I don't is that many times I wouldn't have hit the same shot, or taken the same chances, if I was playing my own ball on my own.

 

That said, I've been playing like crap lately in scrambles anyway. We have a 9 hole scramble (well actually it's a double low ball shamble) after our Saturday round. I'm always trying to hit the ball too far and messing it up. Not much other choice though. It's pointless to hit a really nice 275 yard tee shot when a teammate already has one longer than that in the fairway. Nothing to lose by taking a whack at it (except maybe the ball). a3_biggrin.gif


I don't see why I wouldn't count this.  It's like if you got a hole in one in a scramble you would probably count it as a hole in one right.  I hit 2nd to last in my group and the first people put their 2nd shot no where near the green.  On another note my lord could our 4th drive the ball.  I can now say that I have officially seen someone who can drive 300 consistently.  On this hole he took the same line over the bunker but drove it through the fairway and into the water hazard on the other side of the fairway.  It was a little demoralizing to be 40-50 yards back of his drive all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMA1 View Post

Nice job trackster.

Thank you to all the supporters.

post #30 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackster View Post

So if I play the same hole and had 220 left after my drive would that be a more convincing shot for you.

Yes. I hole out from 220 on a 550 yard par 5 would be much more convincing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackster View Post

I don't see why I wouldn't count this.  It's like if you got a hole in one in a scramble you would probably count it as a hole in one right.

If I got a hole in one on a scramble, I would most certainly count it. I would probably tell folks that it was too bad it happened in a scramble and not an official round... When an eagle on a par 4 or an albatross on a par 5 happens in a scramble, as someone mentioned earlier, it is different. You even admitted that your anchor was a long knocker. That gave you freedom to swing away on your shots knowing that he could help out if you screwed up. Don't get me wrong, if I were you, I would still tell folks that I got an albatross. I would have to add, however, that it was in a scramble format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackster View Post

On another note my lord could our 4th drive the ball.  I can now say that I have officially seen someone who can drive 300 consistently.  On this hole he took the same line over the bunker but drove it through the fairway and into the water hazard on the other side of the fairway.  It was a little demoralizing to be 40-50 yards back of his drive all day.

Really?? You bust your drive 320+, and your fourth goes past your ball, through the fairway, and into the water? Wow! He must have hit it 350 or more. Was the hole downhill, downwind, and (possibly) shorter than you think it was. If not, you two would have been the two longest amateurs paired together in the history of amateur golf...
post #31 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r View Post

Yes. I hole out from 220 on a 550 yard par 5 would be much more convincing...
Just curious ... Would any of you guys who say this doesn't count on account of the length of the hole also like to tell everybody who has a hole in one on a 120 yard par 3 (instead of a 210 yard par 3) that their hole in one doesn't count??? That's pretty much what you're saying.
post #32 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Just curious ... Would any of you guys who say this doesn't count on account of the length of the hole also like to tell everybody who has a hole in one on a 120 yard par 3 (instead of a 210 yard par 3) that their hole in one doesn't count??? That's pretty much what you're saying.

I don't have a problem with the distance. I've played many courses that have sub-500 yd par 5's. I think a 2 on this is an albatross just like a 2 on a 600 yd par 5. I was just responding to the, "what would be more convincing" question. I took that as what would be more of a feat...
post #33 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by boil3rmak3r View Post

I don't have a problem with the distance. I've played many courses that have sub-500 yd par 5's. I think a 2 on this is an albatross just like a 2 on a 600 yd par 5. I was just responding to the, "what would be more convincing" question. I took that as what would be more of a feat...
Yeah, I wasn't sure about you but there were definitely a few previous posters (well, at least one ;)) that mocked him for the distance. You're comment was the most convenient to quote ;)
post #34 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGleno View Post

It's only a par five if you're playing the right tees for your distance. For him it was a par four-Or do you guys claim to make eagles all the time playing 275-yard par "fours" from the womens tees?

Call it an albatross if you liek I think it was a nice eagle. If he had 140 in and didn't ride a cart path then its not a par five and the hole doesnt have any architectural stuff to make it a par five either.

 

Walter Sobchak: Am I wrong?

The Dude: No you're not wrong.

Walter Sobchak: Am I wrong?

The Dude: You're not wrong Walter. You're just an a**hole.

Walter Sobchak: Okay then.

post #35 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackster View Post

I don't see why I wouldn't count this. 

Nothing wrong if you "count" it. Some people do and some don't. In our group some people count scores they make with their own ball that they happened to make in a scramble or shamble with no distinction and some don't. One guy got a hole in one last year in the shamble and I noticed he has his picture on the bulletin board. I have no problem with it.

 

I guess to be accurate I have two separate ways I count something with one being more informal and one more formal. If you asked me how many eagles I've ever made (assuming I had a clue) I wouldn't count the ones I've made in our 9 hole shamble, but after the 9 hole shamble if you asked me what I made on the fourth hole I would probably say I made an eagle with my own ball. Last year I even remember someone asking me after making an eagle in the shamble if that was 3 eagles in a row on that hole in the shamble for me, and I said yes. Maybe not official eagles in my mind but still something I'm unlikely to ever do again.

 

Two reasons I don't put it in the same category.

 

As I mentioned, in a shamble I'm going for that green every time. If I hit it I have a good chance at eagle. If I miss it I have backup. Playing my own ball there is a big chance of a bogey or worse if I miss that green so I usually hit a 3 wood even though I can't quite reach with a 3 wood.

 

The second reason, that may or may not always apply, is that sometimes we might mark the spot and pick up the ball and replace it when it's our turn to hit (within the scramble rules). If we do that there has to be a distinction between that and playing it as it lies.

 

Since I've never made an albatross in regular play, a scramble, a shamble, a practice round (hitting multiple balls), short hole, long hole, or any other time, I sure don't have a problem with you counting it any way you want. As I said earlier it's not your fault it was playing short, and it also wasn't your fault it was a scramble format when you hit the shots.

post #36 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post


Just curious ... Would any of you guys who say this doesn't count on account of the length of the hole also like to tell everybody who has a hole in one on a 120 yard par 3 (instead of a 210 yard par 3) that their hole in one doesn't count??? That's pretty much what you're saying.

 

That's not true.  Holing out from 140 is impressive, but they are saying that it's an eagle and not an albatross (effectively).  If he hit his drive 420 and holed out from 140, they would likely consider it an albatross.  I happen to agree with the guys that while it's factually and technically an albatross, it wouldn't be an albatross I would brag about.  I mean, let's be real, the hole went from 450 yards with a 300+ drive, to now being 475 with a 320+ yard drive.  I believe he's trying to justify the length at this point with bullsh**.  

 

For the record, if I recorded an albatross with a 290 yard drive and 140 into the hole, no, I would not consider it my first albatross.  But if somebody else wants to, more power to them.  But they are right in saying it was from tees not designed for it to play as a par 5.  The fact that it was a scramble kinda corroborates that. 

 

Earlier this year I played a tournament from the white tees, hit a poor drive that still went about 260-270 and had 170 into the green.  My partner bombed his drive and he had a 9 iron into the green.  That's when I decided I no longer wanted to play with my current club. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What is an Albatross? (OT Stuff from "First Albatross" Thread)