or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Best wedges to buy?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best wedges to buy?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I'm looking for a some new wedges since mine are getting worn out. What's the nicest wedges that are out right now for a decent price? Which ones have good control? Thanks
post #2 of 19
It really depends on your preference really but as far as the best I'd say Titleist Vokey wedges. I use these and love them. I would suggest going to your local golf store and just hitting 4 or 5 different brands and just going with what feels best. I got the Vokeys because I know what quality titleist puts into their clubs and don't have to replace them for at least another 5 years minimum.
post #3 of 19

Most of the golf shops have a backlog of brand-name wedges. The most plentiful models will vary from store to store.

 

Models issues 18 months ago are around $100, with older models down around $70. Occasionally, you will find a two-for-one offer.

 

Also... consider the Adams Tom Watson wedges - these have been around awhile, and you can find a boxed three-pak for $120. You get a 52.08, a 56.12, and a 60.08. Cost is low because it's a mature model, with little research & development cost to recapture.

Here's the details: http://www.intheholegolf.com/TW-WEDGES/view.html

post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturday View Post
 I got the Vokeys because I know what quality titleist puts into their clubs and don't have to replace them for at least another 5 years minimum.

Please explain why they are better than any other premium brand. 

What "quality" do they put into them that other brands don't? An advertising budget? Or Bob Vokey shamelessley following the SC marketing model of the personality cult triumphing over a gullible consumer base?

These are pumped out by the million, just like Cleveland, Nike, Ping, Callaway  and TM.

They're all excellent wedges and they all work. There is no "best".

I think Vokeys are great - and I happen to like other brands because they remind me of the Vokey shape, but seriously, at the top level - and they're cheap anyway, they're all the same.

post #5 of 19

well as always it's a personal opinion.

I really like my current TM ATV

wedges. Great turf interaction and easy to hit.

The big sole ( technology ) you can't see at address.

Tight lies where never so easy.

 

Other than that.

I really like the mizuno MP T4 wedges also, if i have to replace

my current TM's it's probably the mizzies come in.

 

The soft feel off mizuno is just amazing 

post #6 of 19

Lots of good wedges out there -- if you know how to use wedges, I'd suggest a custom wedge that is fit to you. I got tired of hoping retail wedges would fit, tired of trying to telephone fit custom wedges by a Q&A session, tired of getting wedges that did not do what I wanted them to do because the grind wasn't fit - and I'm talking Titleist, Mizuno, Cleveland, Scratch, etc.

 

I was fit for Edel Wedges - they have certain design characteristics that make them unique - but they have different grinds, and what fits you depends on the turf interaction of the grind with your swing. They also maintain their bounce while leading edge hugs the ground giving you confidence that your shot will work.  The bounce will vary depending on your swing -- that's why you're custom fit. Even the shaft is fit to you.

 

See www.edelgolf.com for the wedge descriptions. Several guys here use them.

 

good luck.

post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

Please explain why they are better than any other premium brand. 
What "quality" do they put into them that other brands don't? An advertising budget? Or Bob Vokey shamelessley following the SC marketing model of the personality cult triumphing over a gullible consumer base?
These are pumped out by the million, just like Cleveland, Nike, Ping, Callaway  and TM.
They're all excellent wedges and they all work. There is no "best".
I think Vokeys are great - and I happen to like other brands because they remind me of the Vokey shape, but seriously, at the top level - and they're cheap anyway, they're all the same.

Vokeys to me were the best fit for my game. I hit them the most consistently and I tried everything out there. After 2 hours of hitting wedges I concluded that they're the best wedges I've come across. There's no doubt Cleveland, Nike, mizuno or whoever else out there makes good wedges but as a fan of titleist I'm inclined to their products and given their track record have no doubts in the quality they provide to the consumer.

Does that satisfy your question? Or should I just fall victim to yet another troll.
post #8 of 19

There is no, "best".  All of the wedges by the major companies are great and are all pretty equal.  I personally prefer Mizuno wedges because I love the soft feel of Mizuno irons and like having that same feel in a wedge.

Cleveland, Titleist, Ping, TM, Callaway; they all make great wedges though that have pretty much the same designs.

post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturday View Post


Does that satisfy your question? Or should I just fall victim to yet another troll.

This is what a troll reads like:

 

Originally Posted by saturday View Post
 I got the Vokeys because I know what quality titleist puts into their clubs and don't have to replace them for at least another 5 years minimum.

post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

This is what a troll reads like:

Originally Posted by saturday View Post


 I got the Vokeys because I know what quality titleist puts into their clubs and don't have to replace them for at least another 5 years minimum.
None of that made sense. All I said was why I got the vokeys. All you do is go from thread to thread looking to provoke people with your half wit comments.
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturday View Post


None of that made sense. All I said was why I got the vokeys. All you do is go from thread to thread looking to provoke people with your half wit comments.

Not at all.

You made claims about them which are untrue.

You didn't say that you liked them and you bought them.

You said that they were "the best".

You then made claims about their "quality" which can not be substantiated, as if they are better than others.

You then said that you wouldn't have to replace them for 5 years, the implication being that other brands wouldn't last as long.

I don't look to provoke anyone, but I can't stand peple sprouting nonsense which is the forum equivalent of newspapers reprinting press releases verbatim.

I like Vokey wedges too. They are not "the best". Nothing in golf equipment is.

 

We've had threads in the past where people drool "OMG, imagine if Vokey made forged wedges!!!!!!!!" which again, in the post a few up about the "amazing feel" of Mizuno wedges just shows that people are incapable of separating advertising crap from reality.

 

The only answer to the OP is:

There are  a lot of wedges made by different manufacturers.

The ones made by the big OEMs  are all excellent quality. 

They are a good starting point.

There are also some boutique brands that are very popular and offer fitting, which is important.

For many it comes down to shape.

Only you can decide what you like.

post #12 of 19
My vote is for vokey sm4's. I went to the store with every intention on buying Cleveland wedges. I hit all of Cleveland's wedges and wasn't crazy about how they felt. So I tried the vokey's and loved how much feedback I got from the club face. IMO when I hit the vokey pure I can tell instantly that wasn't the case with the Mizuno's, TM, or Clevelands.
post #13 of 19

Cleveland cg16. They're really awesome wedges and getting good spin is no problem. also, mine has helped improve my bunker game a lot. I think they're about 80 bucks.

post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptic View Post

I'm looking for a some new wedges since mine are getting worn out. What's the nicest wedges that are out right now for a decent price? Which ones have good control? Thanks

 

Whatever you like. There's not a dime's worth of difference between two wedges from two different manufacturers, assuming they fit your playing style. I play Mizuno and Vokey wedges because that's what I have and that's what I like. There are several members here that have been fitted for Edel wedges (such as Mr. Desmond above), and they all love them. They're probably a bit more than you're looking to spend, but a good option, nonetheless.

post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

 

The only answer to the OP is:

There are  a lot of wedges made by different manufacturers.

The ones made by the big OEMs  are all excellent quality. 

They are a good starting point.

There are also some boutique brands that are very popular and offer fitting, which is important.

For many it comes down to shape.

Only you can decide what you like.

This above is the correct answer. 

post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

Not at all.
You made claims about them which are untrue.
You didn't say that you liked them and you bought them.
You said that they were "the best".
You then made claims about their "quality" which can not be substantiated, as if they are better than others.
You then said that you wouldn't have to replace them for 5 years, the implication being that other brands wouldn't last as long.
I don't look to provoke anyone, but I can't stand peple sprouting nonsense which is the forum equivalent of newspapers reprinting press releases verbatim.
I like Vokey wedges too. They are not "the best". Nothing in golf equipment is.

We've had threads in the past where people drool "OMG, imagine if Vokey made forged wedges!!!!!!!!" which again, in the post a few up about the "amazing feel" of Mizuno wedges just shows that people are incapable of separating advertising crap from reality.

The only answer to the OP is:
There are  a lot of wedges made by different manufacturers.
The ones made by the big OEMs  are all excellent quality. 
They are a good starting point.
There are also some boutique brands that are very popular and offer fitting, which is important.
For many it comes down to shape.
Only you can decide what you like.
Guess what? Really don't give two hoots what you like. This is a forum and I've expressed my opinion on a product. Deal with it, Shorty.
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinchenzio45 View Post

Cleveland cg16. They're really awesome wedges and getting good spin is no problem. also, mine has helped improve my bunker game a lot. I think they're about 80 bucks.


I really like my Cleveland irons, too bad I didn't hold out for these clubs. Got tired of hitting out of a bunker with a PW.

post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post


I really like my Cleveland irons, too bad I didn't hold out for these clubs. Got tired of hitting out of a bunker with a PW.
I had a set of the CG14's and they were great, I tried out the 16's when I bought my current set and didn't like the feel as much.

Bunker shots with pw? Geez that probably wasnt fun lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Best wedges to buy?