or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Is the Scottish Open part of the Fed ExCup for points as well as the British Open?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is the Scottish Open part of the Fed ExCup for points as well as the British Open?  

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Looking forward to the British Open next week!

post #2 of 12
To answer the question in the title: No, it's not. The Scottish Open does not add points to the FedExCup tally.
post #3 of 12

Sorry, but there is no such thing as the 'British Open' it is simply known as 'The Open', on account of the fact that it is the original (and the best). Please feel free to correct any other party who makes the same unfortunate mistake in your part of the world :)

post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc2 View Post

Sorry, but there is no such thing as the 'British Open' it is simply known as 'The Open', on account of the fact that it is the original (and the best). Please feel free to correct any other party who makes the same unfortunate mistake in your part of the world :)

 

We have an Open here too. It's often called the U.S. Open.

 

So no need to correct anyone. Except the occasional pretentious guy who insists on calling one country's championship "The Open" as if it's the only one.

post #5 of 12

not that it makes any real difference:

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Open_Championship

post #6 of 12

Perhaps OP got the sexes mixed, ladies have a real British Open.

post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker James View Post

not that it makes any real difference:

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Open_Championship

 

You're right - it doesn't. Except that it gives us this:

 

Quote:
Outside the UK, the tournament is generally called the British Open, in part to distinguish the tournament from another of the four majors that has an 'open' format, the U.S. Open, but mainly because other nations with similar 'open' format golf events refer to their own nation's open event as "the Open". The PGA Tour refers to the tournament as the British Open,[17] as do many media outlets in the United States,[18][19] though U.S. television rights-holder ESPN has taken to referring to it as The Open Championship.

 

It's always struck me as a weird sort of elitism to "correct" people into calling it the "Open" as if it's the only one. Nobody disputes that it was the first and thus is the oldest… but so what? It may not be the best, depending on your opinions (and where you live). Heck, the thing almost ceased to be relevant for awhile.

 

The Brits will refer to the Masters as the U.S. Masters (because they have several other "Masters" tournaments), and the PGA as the "U.S. PGA." They aren't routinely corrected as if they're not respecting history. I respect the history of the game as much as anyone I know, and I call it the British Open, and the U.S. Open, and the Masters and the PGA. People know what you're talking about when you say that, just as I know what someone means when they say the Open Championship or the German Masters, or what have you.

 

P.S. The U.S. Open trophy says "Open Championship" on it. The British Open trophy does not. :)

post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

We have an Open here too. It's often called the U.S. Open.

So no need to correct anyone. Except the occasional pretentious guy who insists on calling one country's championship "The Open" as if it's the only one.

Whilst not wishing to upset my American cousins, it is The Open, just as Augusta hosts The Masters. It is not at all pretentious to request that the correct nomenclature be used, pedantic maybe. I would not argue that it is the best (it was a joke), I'm fortunate enough to have played all Open courses with the exception of Muirfield, and I can report that they are spectacular, with the exception of Hoylake (Royal Liverpool) which is rather featureless and a little bland. Older courses that no longer feature like Royal Dornoch and Saunton are fantastic value and Worth playing if you ever golf over here. But as someone said, it matters not what we call them, we all share a love of the game and enjoy the sight of great players on great courses, wherever they're playing.
post #9 of 12

Not sure how it works across the pond, but in America we often retrofit the name of something for clarification.  We might refer to the movie The Hangover 1 - when in fact it was simply called The Hangover.  But when they made The Hangover Part II, it helped to start clarifying it.  Also could be said about the album Led Zeppelin.  Once II came out, it kind of became Led Zeppelin I.

 

 Most golf enthusiasts know that the British Open is also known as the Open.   But no one goes around informing people that there is no such movie as "The Hangover 1" or "Rocky 1" or a golf tournament known as The British Open.

post #10 of 12
Then you clearly have better things to do with your time, like watching films.
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc2 View Post

Then you clearly have better things to do with your time, like watching movies.

 

Fixed it for you.

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc2 View Post

Whilst not wishing to upset my American cousins, it is The Open

 

I can play along. No it's not.

 

All this is OT now, so locked.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
This thread is locked  
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Is the Scottish Open part of the Fed ExCup for points as well as the British Open?