or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › cheap irons bent at hosel after 6 weeks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

cheap irons bent at hosel after 6 weeks

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 


Has anyone seen anything like this before? I bought a beginner Strata set 6 weeks ago. Got the clubs extended 1.5". I use my 7 and 6 iron the most, go to the range a couple of times a week.

Hit on a combo of grass or turf depending on the day. Noticed this week that the shaft of the 7 iron was bent at the hosel. Thought that was weird, and then noticed the same problem on my 6. The more a club was used, the more pronounced the bend was.

The picture above compares my 7 iron, which is my most used practice club, to my pitching wedge, which is the least used club in my bag.

Will take the set to the store where I bought it. Hoping they will refund my money or replace the shafts on all my irons, as it looks like they will all eventually curve.

Not sure what caused it though. Perhaps hitting so many balls off mats, cheap clubs, fast swing. Any thoughts?
post #2 of 27
That shouldn't happen, check your warranty or get some used clubs.
post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
Got it at a pga superstore 6-7 weeks ago. The guy who sold it said he knew it would happen since I am a big guy. Thanks for telling me lol.

ANyways he said he could give me a discount on some other clubs, but wont refund. He didnt want to send them in since at best, they would replace and it would happen again since they were cheap clubs.

Said I needed proline clubs, whatever that means. Sounds pricy lol.

The cool thing about it is I told a colleague of mine about what happened to my urons. Hes awesome and gave me his old cleveland ta5s, which are in great shape. I just took them in to get extended and regripped.

wouldnt take anything for them, so I gave him some titleist pro v1s and nxts as a thank you. That was a really nice present from him.
post #4 of 27
If you've been going to the range a couple times a week, I think you should probably upgrade the other clubs that came with the strata set too. If the irons weren't up to par for you, I doubt the other clubs are great. If you're working on your game I'd buy some nice used woods and wedges and keep those irons your friend gave you.
post #5 of 27
I know you already know this, but you get what you pay for. Those clubs don't even look like they have a proper ferrule. Lesson learned. Enjoy the Cleveland's!
post #6 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBCgolfer View Post

I know you already know this, but you get what you pay for. Those clubs don't even look like they have a proper ferrule. Lesson learned. Enjoy the Cleveland's!
y
post #7 of 27
*yep
post #8 of 27
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the feedback. Do you really think I need to change out my bag after 6 or 7 weeks?

The cleveland irons are a good start, and I already have cg14 wedges since my set didnt come with any. I got a superfast 2.0 driver, and have the strata 3 wood 4 hybrid and 5 h.


Havent spent much time with the woods or hybrids. I guess I thought id at least make it through the summer with the stratas lol. Excited to pick up the extended clevelands.
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by edindallas View Post

Do you really think I need to change out my bag after 6 or 7 weeks?

 

Yes. Most definitely.
post #10 of 27

They should have offered you a refund though, even if for no other reason than to have a happy customer.  Even a cheap set shouldnt have that happen to it, no matter how big or strong you are.

I do agree that with the cheaper sets they do cut a lot of corners in terms of quality of materials and you do get what you pay for but even still, that shouldnt happen.  In my younger and more broke days, I used to use a lot of Pinemeadow clubs, which are known for being pretty cheap and never had any issues like that with them.

post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by edindallas View Post

Thanks for the feedback. Do you really think I need to change out my bag after 6 or 7 weeks?

The cleveland irons are a good start, and I already have cg14 wedges since my set didnt come with any. I got a superfast 2.0 driver, and have the strata 3 wood 4 hybrid and 5 h. The Cleveland irons and wedges are great, the driver is great too, but if problems occurred with your strata irons because you're too strong, problems will occur with the hybrids as well. It's your set, but if I were you, I'd replace these.



Havent spent much time with the woods or hybrids. I guess I thought id at least make it through the summer with the stratas lol. Excited to pick up the extended clevelands.
post #12 of 27
Thread Starter 
Thanks. Really appreciate it. Given I am unfamiliar with woods and hybrids, what woods or hybrids should I start with?

Have a 3, 6-pw for irons, plus a driver. Is a 3w, 4h, and 5h a good place to start? Or perhaps just a 3 w and one hybrid?
post #13 of 27
Thread Starter 
Oh, the 4 and 5 iron may be added to the cleveland set too, but not sure about it.
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by edindallas View Post

Oh, the 4 and 5 iron may be added to the cleveland set too, but not sure about it.

 

Wait until you get the set and then ask about club choice.
post #15 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post

They should have offered you a refund though, even if for no other reason than to have a happy customer.  Even a cheap set shouldnt have that happen to it, no matter how big or strong you are.
I do agree that with the cheaper sets they do cut a lot of corners in terms of quality of materials and you do get what you pay for but even still, that shouldnt happen.  In my younger and more broke days, I used to use a lot of Pinemeadow clubs, which are known for being pretty cheap and never had any issues like that with them.

Yea , I was disappointed. It was partly due to the manager there. When I originally got the set, a different manager there gave me a sweet deal on extending and regripping($50 for 10 clubs, including new golf pride grips). The "bad" manager tried to argue against it.

The bad manager is the one that was there last night.
post #16 of 27
Thread Starter 
That makes sense. I should know in a week whether or not the 4 and 5 irons are there. My colleague is awesome. That was a really nice gift, for no reason other than being really nice.
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by edindallas View Post


Yea , I was disappointed. It was partly due to the manager there. When I originally got the set, a different manager there gave me a sweet deal on extending and regripping($50 for 10 clubs, including new golf pride grips). The "bad" manager tried to argue against it.

The bad manager is the one that was there last night.


Its just good customer service.  Had it been my call, I would have eaten the cost of the clubs just to make a happy customer who is probably going to return and spend money in my store in the future, instead of leaving diappointed and maybe never coming back.

IMO, customer service is a lost art these days.

post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by edindallas View Post

Thanks. Really appreciate it. Given I am unfamiliar with woods and hybrids, what woods or hybrids should I start with?

Have a 3, 6-pw for irons, plus a driver. Is a 3w, 4h, and 5h a good place to start? Or perhaps just a 3 w and one hybrid?


A 3w should be really all you need, and you may want to look into picking up a 4 and 5-iron in the future.  Some people like to get all crazy with multiple hybrids but if youre a strong guy, you should be able to hit mid and long irons just fine.

It can be a matter of personal preference though.  Some people feel more comfortable with hybrids than they do long irons.  I personally never could get used to hybrids and have always felt more comfortable with an iron.

How are you set with wedges?  You at least want a sand wedge, something in the 54-56 degree range and at some point in the future you may want to look to adding a 58 or 60 degree to the bag.  Some people like having a gap wedge too, something in the 50-52 degree range.  I used to carry one but found that I never used it, so I dropped it in favor of a chipper.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › cheap irons bent at hosel after 6 weeks