or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › British Open Courses: Anyone Else Think They're Ugly, Boring, Ill-kept and Gimmicky?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

British Open Courses: Anyone Else Think They're Ugly, Boring, Ill-kept and Gimmicky? - Page 7

post #109 of 120

IMO, watching the pros play links golf really shows you the extreme level of talent these guys possess. Some of those bunker shots were just plain incredible, not to mention how many par saves after a wayward drive into the fescue! Scorecards just form a bell curve for that particular event. The leader board is packed, and there is some amazing golf being played. I love how difficult the course is to play!

post #110 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiplusconker View Post

Most popular sport in the world.

 

I'm surprised you Americans don't like cricket, its got the same pace of play as American football and baseball. 

 

And Justin Beiber is one of the most popular "musicians" in the world. See my point? b2_tongue.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

Shorty's neighbors have complained to the HOA about his dead, patchy front lawn.  He just tells them it is "linksy."

 
LOFL!!!
post #111 of 120

Or as a caddie at Carnoustie said to me after my truly excellent 4-iron: "Nice shot Laddie but I don't think you'll like the result". There it was in a 10ft high pot bunker.

Just love links golf - put the rub of the green behind you and concentrate on the next shot.

post #112 of 120

I didn't even read the whole post, should they play the British Open at TPC Deer Run next year?

post #113 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanceman View Post

Or as a caddie at Carnoustie said to me after my truly excellent 4-iron: "Nice shot Laddie but I don't think you'll like the result". There it was in a 10ft high pot bunker.

Just love links golf - put the rub of the green behind you and concentrate on the next shot.

 

Unless you are in a competition, you really can't worry about your score on a true links course. You have to look at it as a fun challenge.

 

But if I were in a competition, i would be bummed out when a shot that I intended to go 150 yards bounds 180 into a pot bunker that I didn't even know was in play.b2_tongue.gif

post #114 of 120

Mickelson liked it...........
 

post #115 of 120

If you are in a competition you should know the pot is there. Otherwise just have fun - that's what links golf is all about. Do you know there is a broken tree branch sitting just where your ball lands? Do you know a path drops away just where you hit it? Do you know there is an unraked bunker up ahead? Get real, golf is like life - you do your best and hope you get a few breaks. But sometimes odd things happen. It's a game. Or you could take up tennis where everything is predictable - maybe that would suit you more.

post #116 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

 

And Justin Beiber is one of the most popular "musicians" in the world. See my point? b2_tongue.gif

 

Apples and Oranges my friend. You guys need to face the music on this one.

post #117 of 120

Seve:  to the effect, "I hit it, I find it, and I hit it again, until I get it in the hole."  

 

If everyone is playing the same course, he/she who plays well and adapts the best will win.  Play to your strengths: play away (as best as you are able a la Watson, Nicklaus and Trevino) from your weaknesses; prepare for both; and putt well. The more greens one hits, the more the average distance from the hole for the first putt will be (think 3 putts).  

 

Even more than on an U.S. Open course, short game deficiencies are exposed the most on a British Open course.  Good lies, decent at best lies, bad lies, tight lies, cuppy lies, dry lies, juicy (rough) lies, fliers and jumpers, greens that will not "hold,", difficult bunker sand, unpredictable and unavoidable bounces, on and on.  ALL American and worldwide golf holes are based on the golf DNA of British golf courses and holes.  

 

Check out CB Macdonald and Seth Raynor, who designed all of their courses and holes based upon British/Scottish/Irish golf holes.

 

In truth, there are only 25 to 50 original golf holes.

 

metrybill

 

ok, Tiger is not the second coming of Nicklaus.  Talent-wise, yes; intelligence, yes; self control, NO.

 

Would anyone describe Tiger as a "Gentleman."  Seriously.  On a character level, would anyone confuse the quality of his character to that of a Bobby Jones, Nicklaus, Player, Hogan, Mickelson, ..?  NO. He's a self indulgent, narcissistic, POS.  His Buddhist, "Jesus Christ," f**k, damned, rants are a huge turn off to me.   

Let's see.  Early on, as a junior (how did his parents pay for Tiger to go to Ledbettter.  Tiger wins US Amateurs.  Tiger dumps Ledbetter and goes to Butch Harmon - majors; Tiger dumps Harmon and goes to Hank Haney - and wins majors;  and then Haney dumps Tiger.  Sean Foley takes on Tiger - no majors.  

 

 

post #118 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiplusconker View Post

Apples and Oranges my friend. You guys need to face the music on this one.

 

Nope. It's an example that perfectly describes the argument. Just because something is immensely popular, that doesn't guarantee that it's not an unpolished turd.

post #119 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsiplusconker View Post

Apples and Oranges my friend. You guys need to face the music on this one.

Nope. It's an example that perfectly describes the argument. Just because something is immensely popular, that doesn't guarantee that it's not an unpolished turd.

I disagree. I'd say he's a very polished turd. a2_wink.gif
post #120 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Play there and then try to tell me all that you said above.

 

 

I won't say you're wrong, because opinions can't really be wrong (only facts), but you're as close to "wrong" as an opinion can get. I love the look of the courses over there, AND how they play.

 

Just spent some time playing golf over in Scotland and Ireland and agree with what Erik has said.  Some of the best courses in the world have that "natural" look. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › British Open Courses: Anyone Else Think They're Ugly, Boring, Ill-kept and Gimmicky?