or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Courses and Architecture › Philadelphia Cricket Club reconstruction
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Philadelphia Cricket Club reconstruction - Page 2

post #19 of 33
I've driven by there a few times in the past month or so but really didn't get a good look. Thanks for sharing this - money indeed (and LOTS of it). Looks great. Mental note - don't miss the 15th green if I ever have the chance to play there...
post #20 of 33
They did a really nice segment on the reconstruction on "Inside Golf", not sure how long ago it was filmed/aired, I just happened to catch it On Demand last night...good stuff!
post #21 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GangGreen View Post

They did a really nice segment on the reconstruction on "Inside Golf", not sure how long ago it was filmed/aired, I just happened to catch it On Demand last night...good stuff!

 

I saw that as well. Very good piece by Harry Donahue.

 

Here is an updated powerpoint presentation of the before and after of all the greens...

 

http://philacricketgm.blogspot.com/2013/10/before-and-after-powerpoint.html

post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

 

I saw that as well. Very good piece by Harry Donahue.

 

Here is an updated powerpoint presentation of the before and after of all the greens...

 

http://philacricketgm.blogspot.com/2013/10/before-and-after-powerpoint.html

 



Amazing! A little mind bending how much has been done over such a relatively short period of time. Love the approach shot on 14, I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that before.
post #23 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GangGreen View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post
 

 

I saw that as well. Very good piece by Harry Donahue.

 

Here is an updated powerpoint presentation of the before and after of all the greens...

 

http://philacricketgm.blogspot.com/2013/10/before-and-after-powerpoint.html

 



Amazing! A little mind bending how much has been done over such a relatively short period of time. Love the approach shot on 14, I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that before.

 

 

Amazingly, they are now done and they came in under schedule and way under budget. The weather cooperated but, still, they pretty much rebuilt a whole golf course in four and half months. They plan to re-open in mid-May of 2014. I can't wait to play it.

post #24 of 33
Fantastic and congrats, looking forward to hearing about that first round out next spring.
post #25 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GangGreen View Post

Fantastic and congrats, looking forward to hearing about that first round out next spring.
Don't congratulate me, it's not my club. It just happens that I caddied there growing up and I love the course. I'm friends with enough members that I'll get plenty of opportunities to play next season.
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

Don't congratulate me, it's not my club. It just happens that I caddied there growing up and I love the course. I'm friends with enough members that I'll get plenty of opportunities to play next season.

Connections are a wonderful thing...a3_biggrin.gif Hit 'em well!
post #27 of 33
Thread Starter 
post #28 of 33

Cool piece. Looks like they're making some big changes. Finished product is going to be a beauty.

post #29 of 33
Thread Starter 

re-opened Memorial Day weekend. Finally playing it later today.

post #30 of 33

The course really looks nice (not that it didn't before); they did a terrific job on it.

post #31 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grndslmhttr3 View Post
 

The course really looks nice (not that it didn't before); they did a terrific job on it.

 

Finally played it yesterday. Same course, but tremendously improved. The greens are great, other than the peculiar idea of no fringe. It didn't get me, but there were a few dicey lies with balls on the green but right up against the rough. No real first cut along the fairways either.

 

Right now it is strictly a walking course (no carts). Either caddies or pull carts that you can rent. I think that will change over time as a decent portion of their membership is on the older side.

post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post
 

 

Finally played it yesterday. Same course, but tremendously improved. The greens are great, other than the peculiar idea of no fringe. It didn't get me, but there were a few dicey lies with balls on the green but right up against the rough. No real first cut along the fairways either.

 

Right now it is strictly a walking course (no carts). Either caddies or pull carts that you can rent. I think that will change over time as a decent portion of their membership is on the older side.

 

I got to play it two weeks ago and I enjoyed it greatly as well. i liked the new bunkering and the new routing. 4,5,6 are an absolute brutal stretch of holes, if you get past them with in a few strokes of par you could have a nice number because the course certainly eases up. all in all loved but the no fringe was odd...i guess you get used to it but the first hole i kind of had to look twice. As always the staff there is top notch so we had a great day!

post #33 of 33
Thread Starter 

Played it again this week and noticed one significant flaw. There are some collection areas around the front of some of the greens where a lot of balls end up and the amount of divots make them almost unplayable. If you end up short of the green on those holes, your ball will invariably end up in those areas. Same thing with some layup zones.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Courses and Architecture
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Courses and Architecture › Philadelphia Cricket Club reconstruction