or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › anyone in computers or IT career?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

anyone in computers or IT career?

post #1 of 61
Thread Starter 

It was bad idea to not have a back up plan while trying to turn pro. Now I'm stressing the $#$% out cause my game is still isn't close to where it is. Getting close to 30.... :( dropped out of school ages ago and I need to have a career. I'm not very smart or hard working person but someone told me that IT or computers don't do a lot of work. They work for maybe 2hrs and web browse rest of the day. I need something like this! I can't handle stress because it triggers panic attacks. Can someone from computers or IT field tell me what the job is like? Please don't say it's EASY. because I failed a lot of classes that people found EASY.

post #2 of 61
Spam!
post #3 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyjones View Post

Spam!

why are you spamming my thread?

post #4 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf55 View Post

why are you spamming my thread?

I think he misspoke......and really meant to say troll.
post #5 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


I think he misspoke......and really meant to say troll.

If he thinks I'm a troll he should have not replied to my thread. I don't understand ppl who post things but doesn't contribute to anything.

post #6 of 61
I'll bite, just in case he's serious.

Getting a degree in MIS (Management Information Systems) can make you a lot of money. It is a much needed career field. My MIS professor told us a story about a girl in one of his classes whose mother went to school for 2 years at a community college or trade school. I can't remember which but it's not important. Anyway, she got an MIS degree in 2 years and now has a job where she works like 30 hours per week and makes $120,000 per year.
post #7 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf55 View Post

If he thinks I'm a troll he should have not replied to my thread. I don't understand ppl who post things but doesn't contribute to anything.

 

 

So to recap for everyone who would like to "contribute"....... 

 

You're a dropout who is self-described as stupid and lazy.  You're a general failure at most of what you do, even the easy things, and you don't handle any kind of stress well.  I'll add the observation that you write poorly and that your grammar sucks.  You're now looking for a career in the Information Technology field because you've heard that it pays well and that no hard work is required.  You're asking for input/advice from the IT professionals who are out there.

 

Does that about tee it up sum it up for everyone?

post #8 of 61

c3_clap.gifz6_surrender.gif

post #9 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf55 View Post

It was bad idea to not have a back up plan while trying to turn pro. Now I'm stressing the $#$% out cause my game is still isn't close to where it is. Getting close to 30.... :( dropped out of school ages ago and I need to have a career. I'm not very smart or hard working person but someone told me that IT or computers don't do a lot of work. They work for maybe 2hrs and web browse rest of the day. I need something like this! I can't handle stress because it triggers panic attacks. Can someone from computers or IT field tell me what the job is like? Please don't say it's EASY. because I failed a lot of classes that people found EASY.

You are absolutely kidding me...

We don't work hard in the Information Technology field? That's probably true for some second-rate call centers where the employees are doing nothing more than reading off of cue cards and hold the title of "Help Desk Agent" and consider themselves an IT professional. If you're referring to 90% of the industry though, employees in the Information Technology field are very hard workers.

Network Administration/Engineering, Software Engineers, top level Technical Support Agents/Analysts/Managers/Supervisors and Project Engineers do not have it easy by any means.

If you can't handle stress, you picked one of the worst fields to even talk about. My advice to you is to quit crying about the life that you made for yourself on this forum and go do something productive. Man up and have some self-respect and dignity and go get a job and become a productive member society. Either that, or grab some fingerless gloves and a cup and go shake it at an intersection and be done with it.

post #10 of 61
I don't work in the IT field but am certain if I wanted to I would take college classes. I can find my way, somewhat, around the keyboard and computer but wouldn't even think about entering the field unless I was interested in learning. It doesn't sound like you really are. If you're looking for a new career choose something you REALLY enjoy and you won't mind working hard to earn a degree or working lots of hours. Maybe in the golf industry, sales or golf course management...still need to take classes but its something you may already know so it will be easier to learn. But any career takes hard work and training.
post #11 of 61
Screw the IT career path, join the military and learn some discipline. If you're looking for a job that pays well and requires you to do nothing then you're out of luck. I honestly hope that this is a joke and not a true post!
post #12 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf55 View Post

It was bad idea to not have a back up plan while trying to turn pro. Now I'm stressing the $#$% out cause my game is still isn't close to where it is. Getting close to 30.... :( dropped out of school ages ago and I need to have a career. I'm not very smart or hard working person but someone told me that IT or computers don't do a lot of work. They work for maybe 2hrs and web browse rest of the day. I need something like this! I can't handle stress because it triggers panic attacks. Can someone from computers or IT field tell me what the job is like? Please don't say it's EASY. because I failed a lot of classes that people found EASY.

If you don't want to work hard, stay out of IT.  It's not manual labor but also not for the lazy or stupid which you seem to indicate you are.  I'd suggest based on your credentials and work ethic you seek a career in politics. 

post #13 of 61

Have you looked into declaring yourself disabled and receiving government assistance? That way you will have the cash rolling in why you are on the course trying not to panic over the 3 footer you left yourself for triple bogey. 

post #14 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbm12thtee View Post

If you're looking for a new career choose something you REALLY enjoy

 

That's why I chose golf. I know I'm talented but I'm having some serious doubt.  When your hitting balls couple hrs a day for couple yrs it's no longer enjoyable. it sucks when your not where you want to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown88 View Post

Screw the IT career path, join the military and learn some discipline. If you're looking for a job that pays well and requires you to do nothing then you're out of luck. I honestly hope that this is a joke and not a true post!

only military I would join is air force and I already looked into it a year ago. I can't join and to be honest I don't wanna join.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post


Network Administration/Engineering, Software Engineers, top level Technical Support Agents/Analysts/Managers/Supervisors and Project Engineers do not have it easy by any means.

If you can't handle stress, you picked one of the worst fields to even talk about. My advice to you is to quit crying about the life that you made for yourself on this forum and go do something productive. Man up and have some self-respect and dignity and go get a job and become a productive member society. Either that, or grab some fingerless gloves and a cup and go shake it at an intersection and be done with it.

I know couple network admin who tells me they don't usually do anything unless the network goes down or they have project to do. Project which they are given 6-8weeks that doesn't take that much time. Just wanted to make sure if that was true or not cause it was few ppl in that field that told me that. Why the hell is everyone giving me life lesson? I asked about IT/computers not a life lesson.  I'm obviously looking for a career and not some job.

 

I really doubt that every single person is working hard 8hrs a day in a office. I'm just looking for something easy. I couldn't care less if you judge me for that. If you want to work hard 8+hrs a day and become a productive member of society. GOOD FOR YOU! I rather have it easy and enjoy my freaking life.

 

@david in FL insulting my grammer when I said I dropped out of school. You feel better about yourself? You have so much better life than me! Bullying ppl online! yeah what a great life you have!

post #15 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf55 View Post

 

That's why I chose golf. I know I'm talented but I'm having some serious doubt.  When your hitting balls couple hrs a day for couple yrs it's no longer enjoyable. it sucks when your not where you want to be.

only military I would join is air force and I already looked into it a year ago. I can't join and to be honest I don't wanna join.

 

I know couple network admin who tells me they don't usually do anything unless the network goes down or they have project to do. Project which they are given 6-8weeks that doesn't take that much time. Just wanted to make sure if that was true or not cause it was few ppl in that field that told me that. Why the hell is everyone giving me life lesson? I asked about IT/computers not a life lesson.  I'm obviously looking for a career and not some job.

 

I really doubt that every single person is working hard 8hrs a day in a office. I'm just looking for something easy. I couldn't care less if you judge me for that. If you want to work hard 8+hrs a day and become a productive member of society. GOOD FOR YOU! I rather have it easy and enjoy my freaking life.

 

@david in FL insulting my grammer when I said I dropped out of school. You feel better about yourself? You have so much better life than me! Bullying ppl online! yeah what a great life you have!

 

Sorry for quoting your entire post, I don't have the time edit the entire html code right now to fix it. This computer sucks FYI!!!


With that said, the only service to join is the Air Force! I'm currently serving and have loved every day of it.

post #16 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown88 View Post

With that said, the only service to join is the Air Force! I'm currently serving and have loved every day of it.

like I said I don't really want to join the AF. You take the ASVAB and they choose the field. You have no idea how long you'll be working or what you'll be doing. I can't join anyway.... I'm positive I rather get a degree and work in a office.

post #17 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf55 View Post

 

That's why I chose golf. I know I'm talented but I'm having some serious doubt.  When your hitting balls couple hrs a day for couple yrs it's no longer enjoyable. it sucks when your not where you want to be.

only military I would join is air force and I already looked into it a year ago. I can't join and to be honest I don't wanna join.

Where did you get the idea you could be a professional golfer without working hard at it?  A couple of hours a day and you expect to be a pro?  Do some research on how much time pro's practice and play golf, I think you're in for a rude awakening.  I still think politics is your best bet. 

post #18 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by golf55 View Post

like I said I don't really want to join the AF. You take the ASVAB and they choose the field. You have no idea how long you'll be working or what you'll be doing. I can't join anyway.... I'm positive I rather get a degree and work in a office.

 

If you're looking for a job that will require you to do nothing a degree won't help you any. You need discipline and the only way to ensure that is to join the military, and probably not even the AF. As far as you having a say in your career, you do make a list of what interests you and as long as you score high enough on the ASVAB you can damn near choose your career. No one said life is easy!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › anyone in computers or IT career?