or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Forum Profile Handicap Indices....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Forum Profile Handicap Indices.... - Page 38

post #667 of 907

in case i missed it, how does one keep track of a handicap? i am new to golf and some things a really understand and somethings i'm still learning. this is my second year of playing golf as a golfer (well still a hacker) but actually trying and playing by all the rules or as many as i know and to the best i can interpret them. i'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with just keeping track of your score and what you avg. from what i understood the little i heard about it is it also involves course difficulty. all that being said how does one keep a handicap? i would like to have one although i'm sure it will be high but i would like to be able to track my progress.

post #668 of 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

in case i missed it, how does one keep track of a handicap? i am new to golf and some things a really understand and somethings i'm still learning. this is my second year of playing golf as a golfer (well still a hacker) but actually trying and playing by all the rules or as many as i know and to the best i can interpret them. i'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with just keeping track of your score and what you avg. from what i understood the little i heard about it is it also involves course difficulty. all that being said how does one keep a handicap? i would like to have one although i'm sure it will be high but i would like to be able to track my progress.

well all you gotta do is

 

-keep score of your strokes when you are playing a hole at the golf course

 

-at the end of the 18 holes you have finished scorecard -let your playing partner sign it etc...

 

-calculate the hcp from your scorecards

 

-you need to read the mathematical formula for calculating the hcp in USGA style (calculating hcp works rather diferently in different countries!!!)

 

-return all the scorecards to your A) home course  B) home golf club, OF WHICH YOU ARE MEMBER.

 

-I'm pretty sure you must have a specific registered home course / golf club membership, through which your calculated hcp is entered into the network on a computer or something.

post #669 of 907

Shaved a tenth off of my index with the latest revision and have now dropped down to a 1.6 Trying to keep the momentum going.

 

Index: 1.6

Stroke Average: 73.0

Anti-Index: 6.2

post #670 of 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by late347 View Post
 

well all you gotta do is

 

-keep score of your strokes when you are playing a hole at the golf course

 

-at the end of the 18 holes you have finished scorecard -let your playing partner sign it etc...

 

-calculate the hcp from your scorecards

 

-you need to read the mathematical formula for calculating the hcp in USGA style (calculating hcp works rather diferently in different countries!!!)

 

-return all the scorecards to your A) home course  B) home golf club, OF WHICH YOU ARE MEMBER.

 

-I'm pretty sure you must have a specific registered home course / golf club membership, through which your calculated hcp is entered into the network on a computer or something.

thank you for the help. clearly it is harder then i expected.

post #671 of 907
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

thank you for the help. clearly it is harder then i expected.

 

Not at all @BrownCoast   .....though not necessarily wrong, the info @late347 is a little misleading, especially for someone in the US.

 

All you have to do is go on-line to your state golf association.  Your location says Niagara Falls, is that NY?  If so, here's the link....

 

http://www.nysga.org/eclubs

 

You'll join the appropriate e-club for $35.  You'll then be eligible for handicap services.  You simply enter your scores on-line here...

 

 http://www.nysga.org/ghin

 

.....and you'll have an official, GHIN handicap.  There is no calculating, signing of scorecards, returning scorecards to the club, or any such things required, you simply enter your scores for the courses you play as you play them.  You can even get a nifty little GHIN app for your smart phone and manage your rounds right from the phone.  It takes no more than 30 seconds to enter a round once it's complete.

post #672 of 907

no Niagara Falls ont. i guess i should have specified that

post #673 of 907
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCoast View Post
 

no Niagara Falls ont. i guess i should have specified that

 

No problem!  Canada uses a handicap system that's very similar to that in the U.S. 

 

Here's your link  http://www.golfcanada.ca/members/why-join/

 

Join the "public player program" and you need not belong to a club and scores may be entered on-line and via smart phone, just like in the U.S.

 

:beer:

post #674 of 907

Dropped two tenths this revision to 7.6.  Next revision should be interesting.  I probably average between zero and one round per revision, and I've got 4 coming up in the next 12 days or so.  Next round will knock out my second best differential in my last 20, but the following 3 are all freebies.

 

Time to make some hay!!

post #675 of 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

No problem!  Canada uses a handicap system that's very similar to that in the U.S. 

 

Here's your link  http://www.golfcanada.ca/members/why-join/

 

Join the "public player program" and you need not belong to a club and scores may be entered on-line and via smart phone, just like in the U.S.

 

:beer:

thats awesome, thanks so much Dave!!! like i said this is only my second year actually playing golf but it would be nice to see how i progress (against myself) i'm not expecting single digits or anything like like but it would be nice to see if in fact i get better (by how much) stay roughly the same or find i'm getting worse...i hope the last one does not factor in. but thanks again and i will be sure to look into it. very much appreciated!!!

post #676 of 907

Headed in the wrong direction. Started the season at 8.4 and the latest is 10.9, up a whole point since the last revision.

 

post #677 of 907
11.9 to 12.0. I have a 9.9 that will come off with the next revision, so my handicap could change quite a bit next time around.
post #678 of 907
Thread Starter 
Up 0.1.

Tennis anyone?
post #679 of 907
Didn't quite take advantage of my weekend ... Dropped my cap, but only by two tenths to 7.4
post #680 of 907

Updated to a 10.2... lowest I've ever been.

post #681 of 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanhilton85 View Post

Updated to a 10.2... lowest I've ever been.
Awesome! Must feel great.
post #682 of 907

After having a crazy first 3 months of the year, gotten my handicap back down. 8.7, lets keep the trend going!!! 

post #683 of 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

After having a crazy first 3 months of the year, gotten my handicap back down. 8.7, lets keep the trend going!!! 

 

Your goal should be 4. Maybe 5.

post #684 of 907
3.8 to 4.3 to 4.7 now for me. :D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Forum Profile Handicap Indices....