or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Advanced irons
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advanced irons

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
I am 11 handicap. Have a consistent swing tens hit toe shots on my miss. Currently play the Jpx pro. I feel like the head is too big and encourages lazy swings due to the ease of hitting. Would a switch to mp59 encourage a more focused and precise swing or am I reaching a little trying to play an iron that precise.
post #2 of 24

I have both JPX 800 Pro and MP-53 sets. I have been playing a blended set this year.

 

I did not find the JPX Pros "encouraged a lazy swing." On the contrary, I thought hitting the sweet spot was very rewarding and not that easy. Slightly off the sweet spot still performed well but did not have that same orgasmic quality that sweet spot shot have. I blended my set because I felt the distance control was better with the MP-53's in short irons. They are shorter, but more consistent. I also feel like I can chip better with the MP-53's than I could with the JPX Pro's.

 

Since MP-54's are due out soon, you might find a good deal on some MP-53's.

 

For what it is worth, I never hit the 59's well whenever I have tried them. Not sure why.

post #3 of 24

I prefer playing blades. Ive learned a lot about my swing just by practicing with those kinds of clubs and the incredible feel is a huge plus :) btw I play mp-11s, extremely unforgiving blades haha

post #4 of 24

I play the thinnest blades youve ever seen and I really find that the distances are more consistent with blades and that they encourage improving your swing because they dont offer you any help on mishits.

I used to have a set of Mizuno JPX-800 Pros and they were great irons but a CB is never going to feel like a blade.

post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post

I play the thinnest blades youve ever seen and I really find that the distances are more consistent with blades and that they encourage improving your swing because they dont offer you any help on mishits.

I used to have a set of Mizuno JPX-800 Pros and they were great irons but a CB is never going to feel like a blade.

I'm not trying to be a smart a*#. But as a 20 handicap, how often do you get that "blade feel?"

 

Your irons seem more than just unforgiving. They look like you'd better hit that pea sized sweet spot of forget about it. If you are playing to a 20 with those MS-801's, I'll bet you drop to a 15 after ten rounds with the JPX Pros.

 

As the good book says... we all could use a little forgiveness.

post #6 of 24
Thread Starter 

not encourage a lazy swing, but on some short iron shots and easy shots I almost go through the motion knowing the large club head will compensate for my lack of focus.    

post #7 of 24

Another way to look at it is forgiving irons that instill confidence take some tension out of the process because the fear of a bad shot is alleviated. I was playing some very unforgiving, older forged MacGregors earlier this season and the rewards were few and the measures taken to avoid one bad shot after another too frequent. There is no shame in playing what provides the best results. Lot's of guys on the PGA Tour are using combo sets, long hybrid irons, CB's you name it. That a high handicap golfer would chose to struggle with equipment ill suited to their abilities, gear they'll never be able to use effectively, is a flawed approach to a difficult game.

post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post

I play the thinnest blades youve ever seen and I really find that the distances are more consistent with blades and that they encourage improving your swing because they dont offer you any help on mishits.

I used to have a set of Mizuno JPX-800 Pros and they were great irons but a CB is never going to feel like a blade.

So tragic,then, that the majority of touring professionals are missing out on this feel you claim to be experiencing.

Geez.....the number of people here who are more interested in what other people think of their golf set that the actual game. a5_crying.gif

 

Gaijin turns up to play with Justin Rose and says "Yeah, nice clubs youn have there, Rosey, but I just need the feel of my razor thin blades - but whatever floats your boat."

post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer View Post

I play the thinnest blades youve ever seen and I really find that the distances are more consistent with blades and that they encourage improving your swing because they dont offer you any help on mishits.

I used to have a set of Mizuno JPX-800 Pros and they were great irons but a CB is never going to feel like a blade.


I agree with you that I like the look of my blades (Cleveland CG Tour) as well. They have a really small club head, and you really need to put a lot into them to make them work. It really feels good when a good shot is hit, because it does not happen that often on the course. I am using them to learn proper swing mechanics. I am hoping that the professionals who tell me "If you can hit those clubs, you should be able to hit anything." proves to be true.

 

However, when I am working on the scoring aspects of my game, I plan to use a good set of CB appropriate for my handicap.

post #10 of 24
Thread Starter 
To shorty. I am not worried thoughts about what I'm playing from others. Just asking if anyone has had similar experiences. Example I used to play the Callaway diablo. They felt like tennis rackets and a good 8 iron would sometimes explode off the face like165-170 after roll. Normal is 150. +/- I upgraded to jpxpro. And got so much more consistency. The smaller face forced me to become more precise, wasn't as much room to miss.

I'm now at point where I feel I am hitting sweet spot more often than not. But....Sometimes I'm not sure if I hitting close to center or if the club is masking my miss. I also put a swing that should result in cut or draw and it stays mainly straight I wonder if this is too forgiving club or I'm just missing my intention.

Want to hear others experiences when switching to a more precise tool. Positive or negative results.
Btw I don't consider the mp59 a blade. It is still a cavity and described to have forgiveness (i know i have to hit them before anything) II love the look of the Of the mp64. However that club looks like it would turn golf into work.

I appreciate all the feedback.
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHack View Post

I am 11 handicap. Have a consistent swing tens hit toe shots on my miss. ...

 

Not sure what you mean by the words bolded in blue.

 

Do you consistently hit toe misses, or do you have a good swing except for a few toe hit misses?

 

IF you have trouble with toe shot misses, you might have an over-the-top move in your swing. Consider a golf lesson before you start buying new clubs.

 

Also, you might put an impact stickers on your clubs and see just where on the clubface you're hitting the shots.

post #12 of 24
Thread Starter 

WUtiger- I have a consistent swing (around center club face), my miss; when it occurs is on the toe.  usually from fatigue i put more into it with my arms than body.  

 

 

I am not asking what I should do, what I should buy etc.    I just want to know if anyone has made an upgrade to a more accurate club and did it have a positive or negative effect on their game,  were you happy with the switch.   Answers of that nature.     

post #13 of 24

Now  I understand your question. In 2009, I was in my late 50s and realized it was past time to dump stiff shafts, go back to regular.

 

I was playing Ping Eye2 clones before the switch, and decided to go with Callaway X20 irons. Using Golf Digest Hot List categories, these were solidly SGI irons: a good-sized head, clear offset, and a Uniflex mid-launch shaft. I tried the Ping G10 and Big Bertha irons, but these clubs had high-launch shafts and just got the ball up too high, especially on the short irons.

 

I had also tried the X20 Tours, but feared this was too big a jump at changeover; plus, most X20 Tours came with stiff shafts.

 

I played the X20s for about two years. They were OK but didn't have very good feel. Plus, the offset bothered me, and the clubheads tended to hang up a bit in the rough. Also, I didn't get hardly any birdies with the X20s.

 

At Christmas 2010, I stumbled across some X20 Tours on Callaway Pre-owned that were shafted in PX 5.0 Rifle Flighted. I got them, and have played them for three seasons. These would be considered fairly friendly GI clubs. Despite my HDCP, I now get about one birdie a round. The X20 Tours just have better feel: I can tell on impact if it's a great, OK or poor shot. And, the ball jumps out of the rough better. Also, the flighted shafts give a little extra boost to the 3i and 4i. (I did drop 3i in favor of a hybrid).

 

(I have bad trouble with my FWs and hybrids. This has started to change since I got Tour Edge Exotics XRails in June.)

 

Some GI irons are quite user friendly - you need to find what you can hit. Going to Player's irons, however, involves some real trade-offs. Will Player's irons let you do things you can't do with GI irons? Also, as others always say on our site, remember that the shaft is half the club. See if you can get on a launch monitor and play around with both iron heads, and shafts. Also, use demo days to find irons you want to test on launch monitor.

post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUTiger View Post

 

I played the X20s for about two years. They were OK but didn't have very good feel. Plus, the offset bothered me, and the clubheads tended to hang up a bit in the rough. Also, I didn't get hardly any birdies with the X20s.

 

I play X20s, regular stock flex.  You are right that they don't have good feel.  But they are very forgiving, especially on off center shots.   

 

The reason for 1 birdie per round is b/c your iron shot has gotten longer & accurate?  Do you think it is the shaft or club?

post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUTiger View Post

In 2009, I was in my late 50s and realized it was past time to dump stiff shafts, go back to regular.

 

How different was the feel of the stiff versus the regular shafts? Where did it put the most strain on your body, that caused you to change to regular?

 

I am wondering if changing to stiff iron shafts is even worth while?

post #16 of 24

I think one flaw with sgi or just gi clubs is that most encourage higher ball flight due to a lot of players not being able to get the ball up in the air with regular clubs. Playing burner plus irons I'm beginning to really dislike the extremely high ball flight. I may have to just break down and invest in new shafts with a lower kick point. Even with them being stiff flex the flight is ridiculously high. Not to mention that they are a little big longer shaft length than most other clubs and they go a bit further than I'd like.

post #17 of 24
Lower kick point in shaft will give higher ball flight, higher kick point gives lower, boring ball flight.
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan Jeff View Post

Lower kick point in shaft will give higher ball flight, higher kick point gives lower, boring ball flight.

I see, I meant a kick point for lower flight, but I can see my wording was off, either way the result I want is lower flight.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Advanced irons