or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2013 PGA Championship at Oak Hill Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2013 PGA Championship at Oak Hill Discussion Thread - Page 5

post #73 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnutter View Post

The media asked him what he thinks of the greens. What is he supposed to say, that they are perfect and he can't wait to putt on these silky pieces of heaven? I don't understand why it is being perceived that he is making excuses when he is just giving his opinion. No matter what he says he gets slack from someone. Just be grateful that we can watch this legendary career unfold in our lifetime.

 

This is just how things are for Tiger.  Last week before the Bridgestone, he said something about the greens being "patchy" and slow, and how the greenskeepers would have a challenge on it's hands getting them to roll as fast as they expected them to by the weekend.  The resulting article headline was "Tiger Critical of Bridgestone Greens" or something.  The comments were about 75% along the lines of "stop complaining Tiger!!!  It's not the greens' fault you can't putt!"
 
Well, he wasn't actually complaining to begin with, but we know how that turned out.  Such is always the dilemma of athletes: you can give insightful, articulate answers with substance and depth, and you're going to eventually find somebody to parse your words and spin it negatively if they don't like you.  The alternative is to be cliche, vague and curt, in which case you get called an a**hole.
 
By the way, is that Louis Oosthuizen as your avatar?
post #74 of 369
Haha, no that is me. If you could see where that drive ended up you would have known it's not Louis :)
post #75 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

This is just how things are for Tiger. Last week before the Bridgestone, he said something about the greens being "patchy" and slow, and how the greenskeepers would have a challenge on it's hands getting them to roll as fast as they expected them to by the weekend. The resulting article headline was "Tiger Critical of Bridgestone Greens" or something. The comments were about 75% along the lines of "stop complaining Tiger!!! It's not the greens' fault you can't putt!"
 
Well, he wasn't actually complaining to begin with, but we know how that turned out. Such is always the dilemma of athletes: you can give insightful, articulate answers with substance and depth, and you're going to eventually find somebody to parse your words and spin it negatively if they don't like you. The alternative is to be cliche, vague and curt, in which case you get called an a**hole.

 

Not to nitpick relatively inconsequential facts ... but I think you're confusing the article.  He went to Oak Hill just prior to heading to Firestone, and it was the Oak Hill greens he was asked about.  But the crux of your argument is dead on.  The article was spun to make it sound like he was whining and complaining about the greens (when all he was doing was stating that they were slow), and buried at the very end of it, was another comment from Tiger basically saying he had little doubts that they'd get them running true and fast by tournament time.  I don't think most people even read that far into the article because they're too excited to take the author's bait and start criticizing him for "complaining" when he did nothing of the sort.

 

P.S.  Not a Tiger apologist here ... just a "hater" of what passes for journalism these days.

 

P.P.S.  Here's my post from a week ago, complete with Tiger's actual quote ... http://thesandtrap.com/t/68920/2013-pga-championship-at-oak-hill-discussion-thread/0_30#post_876785

post #76 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

 

Looks the quote tool is not working?  Anyway... I was getting a kick out of your vernacular.  'curt'.  LOL  I don't think I've ever seen that before? c2_beer.gif

post #77 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Not to nitpick relatively inconsequential facts ... but I think you're confusing the article.  He went to Oak Hill just prior to heading to Firestone, and it was the Oak Hill greens he was asked about.  But the crux of your argument is dead on.  The article was spun to make it sound like he was whining and complaining about the greens (when all he was doing was stating that they were slow), and buried at the very end of it, was another comment from Tiger basically saying he had little doubts that they'd get them running true and fast by tournament time.  I don't think most people even read that far into the article because they're too excited to take the author's bait and start criticizing him for "complaining" when he did nothing of the sort.

 

P.S.  Not a Tiger apologist here ... just a "hater" of what passes for journalism these days.

 

P.P.S.  Here's my post from a week ago, complete with Tiger's actual quote ... http://thesandtrap.com/t/68920/2013-pga-championship-at-oak-hill-discussion-thread/0_30#post_876785

 

Okay, that makes more sense.  Back at the time, I didn't understand why I thought I read him say "in a couple weeks" when the tournament was in a couple days.  Also, thanks for putting me on to that post.  You'll find out in a few minutes.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

Looks the quote tool is not working?  Anyway... I was getting a kick out of your vernacular.  'curt'.  LOL  I don't think I've ever seen that before? c2_beer.gif

 

I have pretty bad grammar sometimes, so I try and make up for it and get all "fancy" a2_wink.gif

post #78 of 369

My prediction: Adam Scott and Jason Dufner will both do better than Tiger Woods.

post #79 of 369
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac20 View Post

My prediction: Adam Scott and Jason Dufner will both do better than Tiger Woods.

 

How much do you want to bet on that?

post #80 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

How much do you want to bet on that?
If I am wrong, I will set my avatar to Brandel Chamblee for a month.
post #81 of 369
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac20 View Post

If I am wrong, I will set my avatar to Brandel Chamblee for a month.

 

Okey dokey.

post #82 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Okey dokey.
And if I am right?
post #83 of 369
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac20 View Post

And if I am right?

Why waste time considering the unlikely? a1_smile.gif
post #84 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac20 View Post

And if I am right?
Ill set my avatar to rory sabatini with my face in it ;)
post #85 of 369

Marquee group coverage (TW, Bradley, Love III) has started: http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/live/player.html

post #86 of 369

Anyone else want to smack Keegan after watching his preshot routine more than 3 times?

post #87 of 369

Is there a live chat running?

post #88 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

Is there a live chat running?

 

I checked a couple of minutes ago and didn't see anything. 

 

www.thesandtrap.com/chat right?

post #89 of 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

 

I checked a couple of minutes ago and didn't see anything. 

 

www.thesandtrap.com/chat right?

Yeah it looks empty.  I hopped in

post #90 of 369
Thread Starter 

Tiger just stuck it on 13. I am going to go play golf. I'll see how he did this afternoon. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2013 PGA Championship at Oak Hill Discussion Thread